Electric cars.. Nothing new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Like this old jalopy usually seen on the London to Brighton Veteran car run every year.
Note the big bag of coal bottom right of the vehicle.
View attachment 742189

There were some quite sophisticated steam cars, especially Stanleys that would easily have outperformed any of the petrol cars of their time. I think steam cars have held land speed records in the early days.

The big downside of course was having to build steam pressure before you can go anywhere, so not suitable for the modern driver to pop to the corner shop for a newspaper.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Woikd love a jet turbine powered p4.

A weekend in the garage with a over p4 and a rover APC should sort it!
Anyone free tonight till Sunday?!🤣🤣

Not a road car, but the Howmet TX was a turbine powered race car - and didn't half sound good on track
1724354268245.jpeg

1724354294324.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Funnily enough my Wife and I were discussing the viability of EVs as we briefly queued at a petrol pump on Sunday. If we refill (almost empty) petrol tank in under 5 minutes (pay at pump with card), how long for EV? It would appear a Tesla can do 50% in about 15 minutes, but most cars even partial 'fill' can take up to an hour. Will this get quicker? Only by putting a lot more energy through the charging cable. Being generous, if we say 30 minutes to refill completely (as per our petrol), that's 6x! The land required (filling stations?) or more likely car parks in supermarkets will need 6 times the capacity to keep up with 'the normal' filling of vehicles, along with the great number of cables and a VERY BIG mains cable - has this really been given enough thought by the government?

CXRAndy

Guru
Funnily enough my Wife and I were discussing the viability of EVs as we briefly queued at a petrol pump on Sunday. If we refill (almost empty) petrol tank in under 5 minutes (pay at pump with card), how long for EV? It would appear a Tesla can do 50% in about 15 minutes, but most cars even partial 'fill' can take up to an hour. Will this get quicker? Only by putting a lot more energy through the charging cable. Being generous, if we say 30 minutes to refill completely (as per our petrol), that's 6x! The land required (filling stations?) or more likely car parks in supermarkets will need 6 times the capacity to keep up with 'the normal' filling of vehicles, along with the great number of cables and a VERY BIG mains cable - has this really been given enough thought by the government?

There are so many points to cover. First, you understand the electrical principle of step up, step down transformers for power distribution?

Most EVs can go from 20-80 % in less than 30 mins of charging.

The routine of travelling is slightly different from internal combustion refuelling. You plug in first, then visit service station for snack, loo whatever.

We have 3 EVs in our family and the vast majority of charging is done at home . The charging away from home accounts for 3% of total charge time here is a screen shot of yearly usage of my wife's model 3

1000013751.jpg

If you are a local commuter driver you will likely only charge once maybe twice a week.

It is different to 'traditional' refuelling but only takes a small adjustment.

A side note our relatives from Australia came over, never been in an EV. They were interested in probably getting one for their next car.

We took them out in my model S, they loved the smooth effortless drive, the driver safety aids. What they didn't know was how good regen braking was and how you almost never use the brakes.

Oh and the supercar acceleration :biggrin:

They have solar at home, so I think they will be ordering much sooner

markemark

Über Member

I've had an EV for around a year and only once had to wait to charge it somewhere. I even stopped at a petrol station to buy something for nostalgia the other day. My car is always charged as it's always available where I am. On the odd occasion I go somewhere and not enough charge to get back I just choose somewhere to plug it in whilst I am there (car park, supermarket whilst I pop in etc). It's never been an issue although I do have to choose where I park it or stay but the options are certainly not limiting.

So, in all honesty, I have spent around 45 minutes waiting to charge in the last year. How many minutes have you spend diverting to and filling up? I bet it's way more than me.

Alex321

Guru

Charging points are appearing in greater numbers all the time.

You will virtually never fill from empty to full "on the road". You stop at a service station, probably with around 20% charge left, plugf in, go have a coffee, and by the time you are back at your vehicle it will be at 80% with most modern EVs.

And charging away from home will be a fairly rare thing for most owners. Most people will charge at home overnight, and will only need to charge away from home when making a long journey.

I think for a lot of people it will take a lot of persuading to move from their IC car to a BEV. I'm not anti but it does require a mindset change . We're so used to filling up maybe once a week that the idea you have to fill the car more often is seen as a backward step.
If you never venture far then even a cheap one may make sense
A friend has two cars, a conventional one and a 6 yo Renault Zoe. He only gets about 80 miles a charge in the Zoe but most weeks this is ample. His family lives at the other end of the country so unless he buys an expensive BEV then it will mean at least one stop on route. He told me when there is a £20000 BEV that does 500 miles on a charge he'll get one. I suspect it's the same for a lot of people.
I'm very grateful to all the early adopters of a BEV they are our guinea pigs.

icowden

Veteran
I think it has also been suggested that the popularity of the Model T had a lot to do with it. It was affordable, usable and very well marketed.
I would also think that electric cars could only have been of use in the larger cities. The are area I live in didn't get electricity until the 1950s.
Basically this. The electric cars had limited range and top speed whilst the petrol powered ones could go much further and faster. Plus the automatic started was invented which was one of the early issues with petrol engine cars. Oil was plentiful so petrol cars took off. The only mass produced electric road cars between the second world war and the 1990s were the British milk floats.

Then someone noticed that the oil was starting to run out. Nissan invented the Leaf and Tesla worked on the Tesla S to demonstrate that you could have a powerful luxury car with good range that ran on electricity, and also ensuring a network to plug it into with free fuel. So now the race is on to improve battery tech and reduce reliance on rare elements.

As others have said - you don't fuel an EV like you do a petrol car. You just plug in when you are at home. On the rare occasions you have to go a long way, you just plan a break where there is a good supercharger network. More and more of those are being built. I mentioned previously going to Totnes in a leaf. I had no expectation of being able to find anything but maybe a single EV charger I could use in a supermarket. I then discovered a brand new charging station in Buckfastleigh with 16 bays right next to a lovely little farm shop and cafe (Strawberry Fields).

Top Bottom