Eh - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Apparently, one of the British Women's cycling teams recently had fourteen of their bikes worth about £55,000 stolen from their mechanic's workshop van overnight.
Did they not think about active guarding for such a valuable cargo - ? Would have been a lot cheaper than the cost of the stolen bikes. :whistle:

Could have been worse. You could have left £150,000 of bikes in your van overnight and had them stolen

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...o-150000-of-bikes-and-equipment-stolen-360548

Gunk

Guru
Could have been worse. You could have left £150,000 of bikes in your van overnight and had them stolen

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...o-150000-of-bikes-and-equipment-stolen-360548

:ohmy:

classic33

Leg End Member
That's over a quid less than legal.

Effective security is expensive. These teams don't yet have the funding for it. The sponsors will supply new bikes so it's only the logistics which cause problems.
That makes knicking the bikes alright then?

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not about where else they put them - the original question posed was do they not have security guarding them?

Paid for by who? And how do you arrange it?

It'll be prohibitively expensive to have SIA approved staff permanently attached and following the team everywhere, and logistically awkward verging on impossible to arrange to have a diferrent one waiting at each venue and overnight stop.

As DC mentions, these teams are financially very lean. They have neither the finances to do all this, or the administrative staffing capacity (which also costs money) to arrange it.

Its simple to say, but there are significant challenges in practice.

classic33

Leg End Member
I never said that. I offered it as a reason why teams don't hire even minimal security guards.
Would you hire a security guard if you had five bikes in a van overnight?

The fact that you said that the sponsors will supply new bikes trivialises the fact that they were pinched in the first place.
Thereby making it okay as no-one has lost out, in your view.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The fact that you said that the sponsors will supply new bikes trivialises the fact that they were pinched in the first place.
Thereby making it okay as no-one has lost out, in your view.
I never said it was okay or that no-one has lost out or anything close to that and it's not my view. Any time you find yourself telling someone else what their view is, especially completely unsupported by anything in their posts, you're making shoot up and have probably lost an argument.

scragend

Paid for by who? And how do you arrange it?

It'll be prohibitively expensive to have SIA approved staff permanently attached and following the team everywhere, and logistically awkward verging on impossible to arrange to have a diferrent one waiting at each venue and overnight stop.

As DC mentions, these teams are financially very lean. They have neither the finances to do all this, or the administrative staffing capacity (which also costs money) to arrange it.

Its simple to say, but there are significant challenges in practice.

That's a fair enough response. Thank you.

I am neither in the security industry nor the pro cycling world; I just assumed that pro bikes would be under guard and it was genuinely a surprise to me that they aren't. Now I understand better how it works. Every day's a school day and all that...

Top Bottom