Ebay no longer charging private sellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the Guardian today
Online retailer eBay has scrapped fees for private sellers across almost all of its categories as it attempts to keep fast-growing rivals such as Depop and Vinted at arm's length.

If I understand it correctly then although Selling Fees have been scrapped, Final Value Fees still apply so I still pay eBay something for each sale rather than each listing.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
If I understand it correctly then although Selling Fees have been scrapped, Final Value Fees still apply so I still pay eBay something for each sale rather than each listing.

I'm an ebay seller. Not in any huge volume - but a seller none the less.

And my amount of meagre sales got me free listings. As it did i suspect for many-many others. So this 'Gift' from ebay only now stretches the remaining who didn't have to pay.

And anyway.The listing is the cheap bit. Its the selling fees (Approx 13% of the total in some cases) which is the expensive part.....

It would have been nice to retain the listing fees and drop the final value fees to something more reasonable.
Why? The cost to list deters scammers.

And the final value fees are overzealous for an on-line selling platform. It's not like they do half the work auction houses do when they sell products - the seller is responsible for creating the listing, taking and uploading the photos and dispatching the goods.

In comparison, all eBay provide is the platform.

I think its actually free for 300 listings a month for private sellers, no final fees or listing fees unless you upgrade the listing etc. Also an extra 100 listings for £19.99 a month if 300 isn't enough and after that it is 35p a listing. I guess they still earn money on payments. Also if you sell internationally there is still some fees, global shipping. I probably list a maximum of 200 items a month so very pleased. I'm a terrible hoarder who still has loads of old computer related items to sell. Trying to clear the decks a bit.

I'm an ebay seller. Not in any huge volume - but a seller none the less.

And my amount of meagre sales got me free listings. As it did i suspect for many-many others. So this 'Gift' from ebay only now stretches the remaining who didn't have to pay.

And anyway.The listing is the cheap bit. Its the selling fees (Approx 13% of the total in some cases) which is the expensive part.....

Thought so, the fees are high still for sold items.

I think its actually free for 300 listings a month for private sellers, no final fees or listing fees unless you upgrade the listing etc. Also an extra 100 listings for £19.99 a month if 300 isn't enough and after that it is 35p a listing. I guess they still earn money on payments. Also if you sell internationally there is still some fees, global shipping. I probably list a maximum of 200 items a month so very pleased. I'm a terrible hoarder who still has loads of old computer related items to sell. Trying to clear the decks a bit.

Ah I never listed more than 300, in fact I've just reached 100 listings accross the last 2 years.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
EBay can go an do one as far as I’m concerned.

The fees are far too high and they don’t support sellers.

After 22 years, selling over a thousand items I got scammed this year, on an item I know was delivered, buyer claimed not to have received it.
These things happen, but what boiled my piss that eBay took the side of the buyer and gave me their customer, no assistance and I had to refund the buyer.

I’ve deleted my account and I shall never buy or sell through them again.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Etsy also has a listing fee of 20 cents, then you also have final fees as well as said, the listing fee is tiny, the important bit is the final fees paid and they are going up and up. There are now lots of scammers on Etsy, Ebay, Vinted and Debop. Seller and buyer beware with all of these places. Lots of people have been scammed. One person bought Oasis tickets for a shed load of money from Vinted or Debop and got a hand written piece of paper with Oasis written on it. When the buyer contacted the seller they simply said tough. Its a horrible world out there folks.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One person bought Oasis tickets for a shed load of money from Vinted or Debop

I have to say, what the heck did they expect??

Etsy also has a listing fee of 20 cents, then you also have final fees as well as said, the listing fee is tiny, the important bit is the final fees paid and they are going up and up. There are now lots of scammers on Etsy, Ebay, Vinted and Debop. Seller and buyer beware with all of these places. Lots of people have been scammed. One person bought Oasis tickets for a shed load of money from Vinted or Debop and got a hand written piece of paper with Oasis written on it. When the buyer contacted the seller they simply said tough. Its a horrible world out there folks.

Unfortunately Ebay is the only choice for me. Facebook marketplace requires a full profile, which I don't have. Gumtree most of what I sell is small item and not normally listed on there. Etsy/Vinted/Debop don't sell what I'm selling.

At least with Ebay I can create the listing, mark it BuyItNow with NoOffers and then just sit there until it sells. If it doesn't sell it'll stay in the box, I don't go chasing the sale.

chris-suffolk

Über Member
I sell very little via ebay, but their email says

"Transaction fees were paid when your item sells. We are removing these fees, meaning selling is now free. This applies for both new and existing listings."

To me, this means there are no final fees added when an item sells. Have I got that wrong?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I sell very little via ebay, but their email says

"Transaction fees were paid when your item sells. We are removing these fees, meaning selling is now free. This applies for both new and existing listings."

To me, this means there are no final fees added when an item sells. Have I got that wrong?

yes is the answer. If there are NO fees whatsoever, how do Ebay make any money at all. My understanding is there won't be any listing fees . You can list up to 300 items and after that you will have to pay 0.35 per item to list. However there has to be final selling fees.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Here's the jazz straight from the donkey's mouth..

To improve the selling experience on eBay, from today (1 October 2024) it is now free to sell for our private sellers in the UK. We are also introducing a number of updates to make selling on eBay easier and safer than ever.​

Free selling​

Earlier in the year, we removed transaction fees for pre-loved clothing. As of 1 October 2024, we are extending this across categories, with the exception of motors. Here’s what this means for you:​

• •​

Transaction fees were paid when your item sells. We are removing these fees, meaning selling is now free. This applies for both new and existing listings.​

• •​

Listing fees are paid when you list an item. You will receive 300 free listings a month.​

• •​

Optional add-on features, such as international selling and promoting your listing, will be available for an additional cost.​

Introducing eBay Balance​

From 16 October 2024, we’re introducing eBay balance, a new way to use your funds after you sell. You’ll be able to use your funds to shop directly on eBay or pay for things such as delivery labels, promote your listings, or to cover any selling needs.

Alternatively, you can withdraw available funds from your balance to your bank account - payment holds may apply. As your funds will be stored in your eBay balance, daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly payout schedules will no longer be offered.​

Simple Delivery​

We’ve introduced a new way to list and send your items called Simple Delivery. Use Simple Delivery during listing, and eBay will choose the right delivery option for your item. When your item sells, use the prepaid label and feel confident knowing your order is tracked and fully protected from loss or damage during transit. Once you’ve dropped off your item, eBay will handle any delivery related issues raised by your buyer with the chosen carrier on your behalf.

We’re gradually introducing this delivery option over the next few months so keep an eye out as you list.​

Local selling​

We’re making selling locally easier and safer with our improved collection option. When you list an item, you can choose to offer local collection, delivery, or both. If you sell your item locally, use the chat feature to discuss with your buyer and arrange the collection. When your buyer comes to pick up the item, quickly confirm the collection using a unique QR or six-digit code. With no physical cash payments, your money will be kept safe and you’ll be sure to get paid quickly.​

Thanks for being part of the eBay community.​

Makes one wonder how they intend to make their money; and if private sellers are abandoning the site in such numbers that they fear for its very existance enough to lose the significant revenue final valuation fees were bringing in.

This seems especially odd since I read a while ago that ebay were attempting to bin off private sellers in favour of a more business-centric Amazon-esq model.

While the lack of fees is vaguely attractive the only thing that would draw me back to using the site would be if they made it less shoot.

Top Bottom