Ear pod question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Basically. I have tried 3 decent quality pairs/sets but none of them stay in place eg I move my head and one pod comes loose.
Any suggestions?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The ear pods should come with a selection of different sized rubbers. If not, you may need to buy a set. I would suggest instead of the rubber ones that you get a set that are foam (similar to ear plugs you might wear on a building site). I found all of the rubber sizes I tried were still popping out of my ear. Yet the foam ones can deform slightly and then expand to fill the ear canal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=foam+e...ix=foam+ear+bud+tips,aps,130&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

You can get earbuds with a hook for added security. You still need to fit the best sized silicone bud tips to fit the size of your earhole but the hook will keep it on if they do slip out. Generally sold as sports ear buds or similar.

Alternatively if for sports then look into bone conduction headphones like Shokz or whatever they are called now. Great for situations where you need to be aware of what is around you such as when cycling on roads or near roads or walking in such places. You can get a similar awareness with what is called open earbuds / headphones. These allow outside sounds through for safety.

If you still have the different sized tips that came with the earbuds then swap one out to another size. Put it on the ear that keeps slipping out. See if it fits, try a different size on the other one to get the range of fit. You will find one that is close enough a fit.

Mine are hooked, can't imangine trying to stuff something into my ear and hoping it doesn't fall out esp given their cost!

1722954263331.jpeg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have also tried the sports type, but although they don't fall out completely, the bud does come out slightly if it's not a snug fit in your ear. This results in loss of volume and loss of sound quality (especially bass). I would persevere with the ear bud tips

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Aftershokz. Far better than earpods.

PaulSB

Squire
Basically. I have tried 3 decent quality pairs/sets but none of them stay in place eg I move my head and one pod comes loose.
Any suggestions?

I use ear pods but find them very uncomfortable. A friend showed me his bone conduction headphones. Very comfortable and good enough sound quality for me. I will be buying some.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I started getting a sore ear when using earbuds for extended periods. As mentioned above, Aftershoks bone conduction gubbins are surprisingly effective and doesn't isolate me from my environment.

Aftershoks rebranded a good few years ago to just Shoks. They also improved a lot with the openrun and the openrun pro models. About three or four generations in with their design so no wonder they are now much better than the second gen titanium I have.

There are other brands available too now, including Suunto.

Techradar review of bone conduction headphones.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
They are £130 though and OP has already bought 3 sets of ear pods. I would still try to get a set of different sized foam tips, as they worked for me (I had the same problem)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the only in-ear headphones that didn't hurt my ears after a while were the old iPod ones, but only if i reversed the left and right. They've since been redesigned and the newer ones aren't comfortable, so I've reverted to old fashioned over ear headphones.

Top Bottom