Driving Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well …. Feel a bit gutted my youngest sat and failed his test today. Two serious , to be fair, however disputes them as you would . Thing is he was a better learner driver than my other two sons . So I’m quite annoyed at it . Think it’s a bit of roulette in terms of whom is the examiner. It would some are less strict or give some benefit of the doubt .

Slick

Guru
Well …. Feel a bit gutted my youngest sat and failed his test today. Two serious , to be fair, however disputes them as you would . Thing is he was a better learner driver than my other two sons . So I’m quite annoyed at it . Think it’s a bit of roulette in terms of whom is the examiner. It would some are less strict or give some benefit of the doubt .

To be fair, I all the best drivers fail first time. :okay:

For me, your post raises a number of discussion points, as I'm involved in getting people certified for work qualifications, and this failing to take responsibility for being less than perfect is very prevalent as I travel the UK. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's the case here, but it is something I encounter all the time, and I have to explain to them that they are unlikely to improve until they embrace their assessors comments.

Also, as with work, do we really want the young team qualified in such a safety critical task if we are not 100% confident, they know what they are doing?

I'm sure your youngest will be better prepared next time.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My daughter is having lessons at the moment.
The problem with failing is that it takes up to 6 months to get another test date, so that’s another 6 months of lessons!
The lack of driving tests is a total scandal.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Not for serious errors they won't. No point disputing it. He needs to learn from his mistakes and accept it.

tom73

Guru
Nerves always got the better of me on test day. Ironically the test I did pass I had the Regional Chief Examiner sat in the back. Only time I thought about was when he moved. To the other side when I was asked to reverse round a corner. Only had 3 minors not bad considering who was in the car.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
All fair comments , I’m off the same opinion they don’t fail for no reason. So I’m disappointed, it was another potential Taxi driver for me and the wife :laugh: he will own it and do better next time .

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My daughter is having lessons at the moment.
The problem with failing is that it takes up to 6 months to get another test date, so that’s another 6 months of lessons!
The lack of driving tests is a total scandal.

Cancellations are available but nearest test date is Sept up here .

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have sat 8 driving tests in my 62 years. Pass rate not too bad at 6 out of 8 :smile: .
Motorbike, passed 1st time 1983.
Car, passed 1st time 1986.
Police driving test passed 1986.
Driving instructor driving test passed 1st time, 2003.
HGV class 2 failed twice (I was robbed - twice!) 2004.
HGV class 2 passed at 3rd attempt 2004.
HGV class 1 passed 1st time 2005.

presta

Guru
When I did my driving test I had to get out and stick the L plate back on when it fell off, then the examiner ended up in a heap on the dashboard when my emergency stop was more efficient than he bargained for, and after I got home we found that the road tax on the car had run out. :laugh:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd been driving tractors for 6 years before I took my car test. I failed first time due to hesitancy. Passed 2nd time with 2 minors. The first examiner was notorious for being very grumpy and very strict. So much so that he had his house and his car vandalised

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My wife had two attempts at car test both in driving school cars.Triumph Heralds I seem to remember.
First one when she had to do a hill start the handbrake came to bits and test abandoned.
Second one she was 8 months pregnant and thought the examiner was too frightened to be too severe so she passed.
Turned into a very competent driver and I had no qualms about being a passenger when rewuired.

Top Bottom