Doping git thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Isn’t that a weird choice? I guess it’s because the first incident wasn’t illegal?

The NADA has now concluded that it is plausible that Hessmann took a contaminated medicine such as paracetamol, ibuprofen or naproxen. Earlier, external experts came to that conclusion and the German judiciary dismissed the case back in January.

However, the NADA also believes that the risk of contaminated medication lies with the athlete and therefore proposed the lightest possible suspension of 4 months to Hessmann, with a retroactive effect of three months

LIzzie Banks may be reading that through gritted teeth. :-/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's an article in the Sunday Times by David Walsh about Piccolo.

It's not terribly interesting, mostly padding and waffle. Apparently Piccolo was caught shoplifting/"forgot to pay for" low value items in Colombia, which came back to the team before the business with unapproved medication. He was dating a Colombian influencer who Walsh implies was a wrong un. Alberto Bettiol thinks he's a dickhead (Piccolo, that is, not Walsh).

It gets one and a half pages. The first day of the Tour gets less than half a page.

Link (paywalled) https://www.thetimes.com/sport/cycl...-scandal-and-one-irate-cycling-team-0lfncmv8k

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru
There's an article in the Sunday Times by David Walsh about Piccolo.

It's not terribly interesting, mostly padding and waffle. Apparently Piccolo was caught shoplifting/"forgot to pay for" low value items in Colombia, which came back to the team before the business with unapproved medication. He was dating a Colombian influencer who Walsh implies was a wrong un. Alberto Bettiol thinks he's a dickhead (Piccolo, that is, not Walsh).

It gets one and a half pages. The first day of the Tour gets less than half a page.

Link (paywalled) https://www.thetimes.com/sport/cycl...-scandal-and-one-irate-cycling-team-0lfncmv8k

That's not the article as I read it this afternoon. He was found at Milan airport to have Human Growth Hormone in his luggage, which is not only a banned substance under UCI (and WADA) rules, but also illegal under Italian law to bring into the country. That is why his contract was immediately terminated, nothing to do with any shoplifting.

It does mention that there was a point where he had taken a tube of toothpaste and a bottle of suncream and not paid for them (which he claimed was accidental). But that is completely irrelevant to the main thrust of the article.

Chislenko

Veteran
To be fair, I climbed this god damn awful mountain on a mountain bike yesterday, never ridden a mountain bike in my life previously, and the only stimulants I had was a sausage roll and belligerence to get to the top!!

I have to say though I hated every minute of it so perhaps some drugs may have helped!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's not the article as I read it this afternoon. He was found at Milan airport to have Human Growth Hormone in his luggage, which is not only a banned substance under UCI (and WADA) rules, but also illegal under Italian law to bring into the country. That is why his contract was immediately terminated, nothing to do with any shoplifting.

It does mention that there was a point where he had taken a tube of toothpaste and a bottle of suncream and not paid for them (which he claimed was accidental). But that is completely irrelevant to the main thrust of the article.

We already know the stuff about the HGH and have done for a week or two. I was just listing the few bits of new stuff that Walsh had added. Shoplifting and dodgy girlfriend.

No one has suggested his contract was terminated because of shoplifting. I don't know where you got that from.

The article didn't really seem to have a "thrust". It was some fairly old news spiced up with some tittle tattle and heavily padded out. It might have been interesting if he'd investigated why EF sent him to the Giro, but he glossed over that bit.

Last edited:
Let me think about that.
I'll be back in a jiffy.

A jiffy is a unit of time that is equal to 1/100th of a second, or 10 milliseconds. The term originated in the late 18th century as slang for lightning, which is very fast. In the late 19th century, physical chemist Gilbert Newton Lewis adopted the term to describe the time it takes for light to travel one centimeter in a vacuum, which is about 33.3564 picoseconds. This is faster than the blink of an eye

Alex321

Guru
A jiffy is a unit of time that is equal to 1/100th of a second, or 10 milliseconds. The term originated in the late 18th century as slang for lightning, which is very fast. In the late 19th century, physical chemist Gilbert Newton Lewis adopted the term to describe the time it takes for light to travel one centimeter in a vacuum, which is about 33.3564 picoseconds. This is faster than the blink of an eye

Whoooosh! ^_^

Top Bottom