Does expensive clothing make a massive difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No, not unless you're racing. Make the bike comfortable enough and you can ride in anything. If you consider the prices of comfortable cycling clothing and that you need multiple sets, bike parts start to look cheaper options!
Are comfort and fit requirements of cycle clothing different if not racing then?

zizou

Veteran
My race bibs and jersey are worse in just about every respect than my normal cycling gear!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are comfort and fit requirements of cycle clothing different if not racing then?
If I start to get too hot, I can slow down or stop to take off a layer and put it in the basket/rackpack. If I start to get too cold, I can speed up (my pedalling by changing down a gear, if not my riding :laugh:), put a layer on or crack open a gel warmer. I've never seen anyone racing do those. I also sit much more upright for much of the time. In general, if you're riding racing-style, then you're probably demanding much more particular performance than the likes of me!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If I start to get too hot, I can slow down or stop to take off a layer and put it in the basket/rackpack. If I start to get too cold, I can speed up (my pedalling by changing down a gear, if not my riding :laugh:), put a layer on or crack open a gel warmer. I've never seen anyone racing do those. I also sit much more upright for much of the time. In general, if you're riding racing-style, then you're probably demanding much more particular performance than the likes of me!
You mustn't watch racing too often as putting on/taking off gilets or jackets is very much a part of every race/stage at some point.

It's the law of diminishing returns AFAIC. Good kit will be fore comfortable (breath better, keep you the right temperature, have better pad etc.) but after a certain price point you won't get much more performance for your money. You need to try and gauge that price point to your ambitions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You mustn't watch racing too often as putting on/taking off gilets or jackets is very much a part of every race/stage at some point.
Never seen them put them in their basket and surely you can see they have much less control over what speed they go than the likes of me? They're far more likely to overheat even wearing one layer.

I've not watched many cat2/3/4 long races. Mainly crits where they can throw warmers to friends/family/teammate as they pass. What do they do if they take clothes off?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've seen footage of a couple of pro roadies removing their rain jackets, getting them caught in the rear wheel, and falling off.

If the rider remains upright, the usual procedure is to give the jacket to someone in the team car alongside.

Or, invoking the roadies' right to litter, toss the jacket to the side of the road.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
I find it easy to shop for kit now that you can buy Rapha in Harrods.
Doesn't really matter where your butler buys Rapha :okay:

Was gifted Rapha Sky kit last year - it's great, but a bit on the racing snake side size wise.
Castelli bibs are fab too and my weapon of choice.
I squeeze out c5000 miles a year so refuse to skimp on my wee botty

eezytiger

Today I wore some Aldi crane bib shorts, £11.99 a couple of weeks ago on their cycling special. Wore them for a 30 mile ride, with 3 "climbs" and felt comfortable and couldn't have told you the difference between them and my far more expensive DHB ones at such a distance. They have a far better pad then the Muddy Fox ones. Had I worn them for my 75 mile ride a few weeks ago it might have been a different story, then again it might have not too.
I also use a lot of Aldi cycling gear, including the £11.99 bib shorts and £15.99 soft shell jacket with removable sleeves and find them to be excellent on rides up to 114 miles (my longest ride to date). Quality does not require high prices. Brand snobbery tends to.

yello

Depends what you mean by 'massive'. There is certainly A difference in quality/comfort across the price range. Whether that difference is something you need or would appreciate is your call, and depends on a number of factors.

A pro-rider, spending hours in the saddle each day, might well say the difference between Aldi and Assos bibs is "massive" and be prepared to pay for that.

Me, whilst I can tell the difference in quality and comfort between my Assos and DHB bibs, I'll not fork out for Assos again. There's no need in my case. Assos is a by far superior product, no question, but I don't need to afford it (fortunately!)

If you can afford expensive then treat yourself. Find out for yourself if the difference is worth paying for. It'll not be wasted money if it answers your question.

Top Bottom