Does expensive clothing make a massive difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I buy better brands like gore, pearl Izumi, sportful in the clearance, usually half price, helps being an odder size

Only you can know what's comfortable based on your dimensions, where, how far, how long you are riding

You can buy good quality at cheap prices

Look at last years team colours or teams that have become unpopular

My winter wear is a set of Nike bib shorts that retailed at over £100

I bought them for £10 each in the Nike Store as the Livestrong brand had nosedived

Worn under a pair of bib tights they make wonderful winter wear

bpsmith

Veteran
I always buy Castelli. Quality materials, tech and fit. Expensive at RRP, but worth every penny. Even better if you buy off season.

Mobi_1

I purchase my cycling stuff from Aldi and Lidl, First set of bib shorts from Aldi and I have done approx 300 mile on them so far. Only complaint is that the stiching on one leg came away but I managed to rectify this with a needle and thread. Other stuff includes cycling top, shorts, gel gloves, socks, a waterproof jacket and padded under pants, yes padded underpants (which are great on long rides). I have purchased a new set of bib shorts as my first pair are now a tad big, these are via Amazon and are made by Tenn Bib, comfortable fit with plenty of padding. In my opinion expensive does not help with speed or endurance.

Herbie

Veteran
Hi guys,

Not been on too many rides recently due to breaking my leg playing football. I'm just starting to enjoy cycling again and wondered if expensive clothing makes much difference to the casual cyclist. I get most of my stuff off eBay (from a cycle brand called didoo) or from sports direct. I have everything I think I need ( padded shorts, jerseys, base layers, arm any leg warmers, rain jacket) and it seems to do the job. I guess the question I have is do £15 bib shorts do the same job as a £60 pair of bib shorts?.

I have a Gore Phantom windstopper jacket.....had it for 6 years ....it wasn't cheap but its as good today as it was the day I got it and has had lots of wear....worth every penny....I like things that are quality and made to last

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That is true. A Ferrari F430 costs about £120,000 and has a top speed of about 200mph. A Bugatti Veyron SS costs about £1.2 million and has a top speed of about 267mph. Thats over an extra £1 million for your extra 60-70mph.
Also
The Ferrari costs about £600 for every 1 mph of its top speed. The Veyron SS is over £4400 for every 1 mph.

Try quantifying your improvements in this way when you buy a new set of high profile rims, new carbon fibre bike and monthly cost of steroids. Bit difficult to do with clothing tho.
:wacko::wacko:

sidevalve

Über Member
That is true. A Ferrari F430 costs about £120,000 and has a top speed of about 200mph. A Bugatti Veyron SS costs about £1.2 million and has a top speed of about 267mph. Thats over an extra £1 million for your extra 60-70mph.
Also
The Ferrari costs about £600 for every 1 mph of its top speed. The Veyron SS is over £4400 for every 1 mph.
Sorry but I stopped using either of mine when I found the Clarkson seemed to like them - Once the peasants get a hold of something it really doesn't seem to work anymore.
As for the OP --- No

Colnago Master

I don't get on with cheap shorts. I use them for commuting but not long rides. Long rides for me are 80-120 miles and I appreciate the difference.
I have expensive shoes which are essential for me as I've never found another pair that don't give me hot foot.
The other thing is for some of us its also a passion. This is why I buy bikes and clothes that I want, not what makes sense.
Personally I don't shop in Halfords, Aldi, Lidl or for that matter Evans or Cycle surgery but that's just me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, not unless you're racing. Make the bike comfortable enough and you can ride in anything. If you consider the prices of comfortable cycling clothing and that you need multiple sets, bike parts start to look cheaper options!

Julia9054

Guru
Apart from good padded shorts, most of the rest is fashion.
If you enjoy dressing fashionably off your bike, you'll want the same on it.
I spend time drooling over Cafe du Cycliste stuff. It just looks so good! Completely out of my budget, unfortunately and I'm sure it won't perform any better than what I actually wear.
Check ebay for second hand stuff. Lots of people richer than me buy all the gear and then sell it, hardly worn, when they realise they haven't been on their shiny new bike and they've moved on to the next thing. My favourite Polaris windstopper jacket that I never have off my back cost me £7 including postage!

outlash

also available in orange
Spend the money on shorts/bib longs and and a decent windproof jacket. Jerseys are largely dictated by taste. Unfortunately I'm a big fan of Merino/sportwool so my jerseys aren't cheap either...

Tony.

Top Bottom