Does anyone else hate Shi**no as much as I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I'm pretty sure that I would even dislike my local corner shop if I was privy to the depths of knowledge of the proprietor's ethics (even something as shallow, knowledge-wise, as voting behaviour could put me off). I used to use Ebay in preference to Amazon until I heard some nasty things about Ebay's dodgy doings.

Unfortunately, I reckon that whatever and wherever I buy, if I could delve deep enough, I would have ethical issues with it.

Saying that, without doing detective-grade research, I do have outlets that I prefer over others - in cycling, specifically Spa and SJS, plus a few other smaller/independent outlets - and I'm very happy being ignorant enough not to know one way or the other about them - they're not Amazon or Ebay, after all. I do avoid outlets that primarily treat cycling as a sporting activity, not just because I hate sport, but because I find that they're not really catering for my ilk - it's like going to a high-performance sports car dealer for a Berlingo.

With regard to Shimano, I've never been a "fan" - when I was a teenager, I was in love with Suntour derailleurs, Stronglight chainsets, Mavic rims and Mafac brakes. Nowadays, I like anything that works well at the right price and like it even more if it will allow me the set-up I want without painful compatibility anxiety. So I have a fair bit of Shimano on my bikes but I also have a fair bit of a mix of brands too. The closest I have to an all-Shimano bike is a 25 year old 2nd hand utility bike (Saracen Hy-Way) - and I changed the Shimano freewheel on that for a Sunrace one.

I really do hate XformerlyTw@tter though (FB not far behind)!

Top Bottom