Does anyone else hate Shi**no as much as I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm surprised Campag are still in business TBH. Virtually no new bikes come with it. I'd be very tempted with Campag on a full italian frame. I specced a bike many years ago, Columbus tubing but locally built. Reason, I wanted Dura Ace on it as it was better than Record at the time (1990). I'm still running old bikes with Dura Ace, 600 tricolour, and Deore LX/XT. It all works really well. More recently picked up a used CX bike with 5700 series 105, and it works perfectly, even covered in mud.

My FS MTB came with SRAM, and I like the fact the cassettes (10 speed) are changeable with the Shimano CX bike and SLX/XT equipped bike MrsF has. I often use 8 speed SRAM cassettes on my other Shimano bikes as they are generally quite a bit lighter than the equivalent Shimano.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Having never used better than tiagra level from new i cant comment on quality of anything better , i do have 105 10 speed on one bike but that was given to me when someone went to the latest 105 and it does have 4600 derailleurs and found it clunkier than tiagra 4700.
A bit of a lie as i have rival 22 on one bike , again second hand stuff and found although its nice i have to tweak the gears a lot to keep it sweet , the tiagra just worked as long as you kept on top of changing the cables .In fact i have half a mind to sell the rival and replace it with shimano again .

Tiagra 4700 is a great groupset, I for one will be sad when it's gone, I have a bike with 10 speed 105 and it's only slightly better, 11 speed 105 is somewhat more refined. I look forward to seeing new road/gravel bikes with CUES, it could make affordable bikes interesting again, because it's hard to express anything positive about a £1500 bike equipped with Tourney which is such a dead-end groupset, it makes you wonder where the money has gone on the bike build.

pjd57

Guru
I buy a bike with the parts that come fitted to it.
When parts need to be replaced I give my trusted mechanic the decision on replacement parts . He knows what's required. I don't
Works for me .

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Im unaware really of the market shares of bicycle components, but if it is true they have a 70-80% market share on key bicycle components then that is substantial share. But, is it really a monopoly if they do not own their competitors and there are market alternatives, even cheaper in some cases and no shortages but rather people or manufacturers choosing these components for whatever their reason? I personally believe they buy into the tried and tested brand that is Shimano, everyone knows them and 99% aren't going to think about whether the company strangle swans and their cygnets on their lunch breaks, sadly.

AndyRM

XOXO
Calling them "Sh**ano" reminds me of local newspaper commenters who like to call their local authority the "clowncil", similar to Brexit fans calling the other side "Remoaners", libtard, snowflake, etc. It's rather tedious.

Some links to companies get automatically embedded into the forum, using asterisks would get around that.

Alex321

Guru
My criticism is not of the quality, value or performance of Shi**no products, but of the company's ethics.

Their ethics may not be the greatest, but they really aren't any worse than most companies of their sort of size. And not nearly as bad as companies such as Microsoft or Amazon.

Tom B

Guru
I buy Shimano , usually lower end tried and tested and cheaper ends and prefer their parts, performance and prices as well as the "you know what you're getting" I bought a load of Microshift cassettes and they're fine, but there was some anxiety.

I am not aware of any dodgy practices. or ethics, but then I havent looked.

That said there are a few businesses that I actively avoid for all sorts of reasons, mostly ludicrous and personal...

The include... in no particular order

Lush
EG Group
Asda
B&Q
The Chippy at the top of my street
Shell
Amazon
Recently added Wiggle & CRC / Ashley Empire

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I buy Shimano , usually lower end tried and tested and cheaper ends and prefer their parts, performance and prices as well as the "you know what you're getting" I bought a load of Microshift cassettes and they're fine, but there was some anxiety.

I am not aware of any dodgy practices. or ethics, but then I havent looked.

That said there are a few businesses that I actively avoid for all sorts of reasons, mostly ludicrous and personal...

The include... in no particular order

Lush
EG Group
Asda
B&Q
The Chippy at the top of my street
Shell
Amazon
Recently added Wiggle & CRC / Ashley Empire

Oh aye, "The Chippy at the top of my street" is one I avoid also.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Shimano fan here. Reliable, durable, and affordable. Just like my Toyota. And parts are widely available.

What’s with the ethics? I hear one of their suppliers in Malaysia was using slave labour?

Well, that’s a bit naff, but it’s fair to say there’s always a risk of that when outsourcing manufacturing.

Top Bottom