Does anyone else hate Shi**no as much as I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I would claim ambivalence. I historically had Shimano on everything as that’s what they came with and I just got used to it. More recent acquisitions have come with SRAM and after a brief period of adjustment I’m OK with that. I still slightly prefer Shimano’s MTB offer with bi-directional trigger operation and I have found that SRAM 12-speed derailleurs are a bit more fragile, but I’m generally content either way.

I have no experience with Campagnolo.

presta

Guru
I use Shimano because they have a virtual monopoly. I want stuff that every Tom Dick and Harry keeps in stock so you can get spares if you break down in the middle of nowhere. That said, components are fairly reliable, so by the time they're worn out they've usually been made obsolete, with all the problems that brings trying to replace one part of a system that's no longer compatible with the rest.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
From Wikipedia:

" ..... In their early years, SRAM introduced the Grip Shift (or twist shift) gear-change technology to the road bike market in 1988. Twist shift gear changing was later brought to mountain bikes in 1991.[5]

In 1990, the company sued Shimano for unfair business practices, noting that Shimano offered, in effect, a 10-percent discount to bicycle manufacturers specifying an all-Shimano drivetrain and that few companies in the highly competitive industry would be willing to forgo such a discount to specify Grip Shift components. SRAM received an unspecified out-of-court settlement from Shimano in 1991. As a result of this lawsuit, all Shimano competitors won the right to compete in the lucrative OEM bicycle component arena.[6] "

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Campag gears (mostly); SunXCD or TA or Spa chainsets; Campag or Shimano or VO brake calipers; Shimano pedals. Basically, mix'n'match ungroupsets to give exactly what I want. No SRAM, but not because I hate them or anything.

Bristolian

If you'll excuse my scepticism, any company that gets screwed over by what is possibly the most xenophobic legal system in the world has my absolute sympathies not condemnation.

US courts are world famous for their protectionist rulings that (virtually) always favour domestic manufacturers and their complete indifference to other nation's laws is legendary.

In the 1990's I was involved in a case where my employer (UK) got together with our European competitors to bring a case against one of our US competitors for increasing their prices around the world so that they could sell to their US customers at a significant discount. We had amassed volumes of sworn testimony from end-users to support our case ... can you guess the result when it went to court?

At the end of the day, the cases you have pointed out to us were 35 and 20+ years ago. Even Leopards can change their spots in those timeframes.

Last edited:
I was always a Campag man but it didn't bother me that I ran a Shimano front wheel and front mech. For me the drive train was the main consideration and I much preferred Campag's thumb shifter for changes to the smaller sprockets, plus I thought the washing line cables the Shimano persisted with for years looked ugly. Even though I rode Shimano for my last few years of cycling I never really liked the combined use of the brake lever as a shifter.

I also have to say that over a fair few decades not a single bit of Campag kit ever let me down, where as in a much lesser time riding Shimano I had a rear mech give up the ghost and a pedal fall to bits.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve used Campagnolo in the past, but now I use a mixture of older Ultegra 6600 and Dura Ace 7800 2x10 speed on my Van Nicholas, and it’s beautifully engineered, the previous generation 9 speed Ultegra 6500 and Dura Ace 7700 IMO is even better, the nicest groupset I’ve ever used.

IMG_4317.jpeg

IMG_4316.jpeg

However I’m not a fan of the newer Shimano groupsets, they just feel a bit like they’ve lost that precision and quality of the earlier stuff.

Top Bottom