Do you have a tool pouch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Leyzyne qr caddy

2 inner tubes
co2
multi tool
3 tyre levers
1724163913620.jpeg

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
yes, I'm surprised so many people suggest using a tool bottle - I've tried that approach in winter only (i.e. when water consumption is more like cups-per-day than bottles-per-hour!)

I have used a tool caddy on my gravel bike, however, I do also have three bottle cage mounts on that bike, so I can use the bottle cage under the down tube without sacrificing water carrying capacity.

If you don't have three bottle cage mounts, then there are ways to mount a third one if that's the route that's desired.

I've used this mount before on my daughters bike and it easily holds a water bottle and cage without slipping and moving, but there are plenty of other's around as well.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 12.56.55.png

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Does anybody carry spare spokes?

I once had a spoke break with 20 miles to ride and did not have a spare. I have carried spare spokes ever since but never had to use one; sod's law I suppose!

I guess the best way to carry it would probably be to tape it to the frame.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I once had a spoke break with 20 miles to ride and did not have a spare. I have carried spare spokes ever since but never had to use one; sod's law I suppose!

No. I tend to be quite risk averse and carry all kinds of crap but not spokes. I'm not sure I'd know how to replace a spoke, but I guess I could always improvise.

I've only ever twice broken a spoke (both on the same wheel, which I have now retired). Once I rode carefully and slowly, with the back brake caliper opened, to a station. The other was not far from my destination so I just carried on, rubbing brake and wonky wheel be damned. If it had got worse then it was only 20 mins walk.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good idea I have a boardman one that cracked on me last weekend I could repurpose!
That's a poor show! One of my Camelbacks got comprehensively run over by some Tesla tosser and I'm still using it..

I've got a thingy that my wife got as a freebie. I think it's for holding make up and vanity niknaks. It's like a large pencil case. Two zips around it provide two storage areas. One side contains multi tool, mini leather man pliers thing and small charge bank. The other has tyre levers, and endless bike niknaks - split links of various sizes, cleat bolts, valve cores, core tool, cable ties, tyre boots, instant patches, tubeless proddy gubbins, and many mystery things. I keep it in my rack bag.
I looked at similar for the Brompton bag, however could never quite find anything that fit the bill. If you want to waste days of your life there's plenty of stuff on ebay ostensibly for stationary / electronics that "might" fit..

Without going into painful detail my spares / tool provision mostly boils down to nested ziplock bags. Potentially more damage-prone stuff gets more padding; my head torch folded and stuffed inside an old sock, spare lights and batteries bagged inside a beanie which obviously serves mutiple roles if I misjudge the temperature.

As above I've looked into my elabourate solutions but so far nothing has proven sufficiently ideal to tempt me a ways from the bags..

silva

Über Member
I use white nylon see through weaved bags with a cord to close them.
Alike those raincoats+trousers are sold in.
I think these white ones are from IKEA parts, sometimes whole bags of them littering city.
That's where I got these for free.
Benefit is that they allow the tools to dry when condensation happened, so less chance on rust, unlike with plastic bags. I used plastic bags before and tools ended up as ugly rusty mess. Since these, not anymore.
That was one of those George Peppard - days: "I love it when a plan comes together".
There are other days, though.

Under the saddle bag containing:- Multi-tool, puncture repair kit, cable ties, tyre levers, spare inner tube, tyre boot and a quick link.
I've been stranded twice, both times with a blown tyre. I just can't come round to taking a spare.

presta

Guru
An army surplus tool roll:

1724497857669.jpeg

1724497872477.jpeg

1724497887186.jpeg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

Stuffed inside the seatpost ? Some Kitchen roll as sound deadening / to wipe your hands on when changing ? Out of sight there too…..

Punkawallah

Über Member

Yeah. Inner and outer. If I’m out for more than a day. Along with a freewheel tool and adjustable spanner.
Is now the wrong time to tell you you can have ‘spare spoke brackets’ brazed to your chainstay?

Last edited:
Top Bottom