Do you have a tool pouch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To aid in packing, I carry:
- a multitool (pretty ordinary, the sort with a mini-chaintool). Quite a dense thing, so I'm careful where I put it.
- a separate bag for odds-n-ends (quick-links, spoke key, etc <I've forgotten what else I've accumulated over the years!> )

What would you carry the latter in? Interested in any tips, there may be ways I haven't thought of!

(My trusty transparent pencil case is showing signs of failure. Being plastic, it will no doubt crack and spill out the contents somewhere inconvenient.
I've ruled out the "traditional" tool-roll, as although i think they're lovely, I think they weigh a lot, and I like having a transparent bag.
I'd quite like something more sustainable than a plastic pouch. Maybe ...)

Slick

Guru
Not new by any manner or means, but I carry everything in an old bidon.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I use a Revelate Designs Jerry Can on the mountain bike. It's about 0.6 litres in size and sits nicely in front of the seatpost it doesn't interfere with my legs or peddling in any way and it's super stable.

Inside I have a Crank brothers multi tool that includes all the sizes I need plus a tubeless worm fork. Two pairs of latex gloves, two spare brake pads, two spare chain links, tire worms, tire boots, a cloth, cable ties, Spare brake pad bolts and circlips, two Pedro's tire levers, small bottle of oil, swiss army knife and I think that's it. The only thing not in there is my small Lezyne pump which lives in another small toptube bag along with flapjacks and other food.

I use lots of small re-sealable plastic bags that I've re-purposed from various packaging over the years to individually pack the items, so Brake Pads in one, gloves in another etc. This not only helps organise things better, but it also keeps things drier, though the bag is pretty waterproof.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 19.29.45.png

Last edited:
Not a tool pouch but a tool bottle. In there is a multi tool, co2 cannister, tyre levers, a dyna plug and a spare tubeless stem and a buff just to stop it rattling. I dont need the latter two on my tubed commuter but its just as easy to leave it all in there. Also permanently in my wallet/ phone case is a core remover, park patches and quick link. The only thing thats lose is the mini pump and spare tube. In the worst case and I forgot them the other should get me home.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A couple of little plastic bags, Matt, which do not add volume (critical aspect) and which I 'refresh' every couple of months, all permanently in a (Topeak) under-saddle bag.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got a thingy that my wife got as a freebie. I think it's for holding make up and vanity niknaks. It's like a large pencil case. Two zips around it provide two storage areas. One side contains multi tool, mini leather man pliers thing and small charge bank. The other has tyre levers, and endless bike niknaks - split links of various sizes, cleat bolts, valve cores, core tool, cable ties, tyre boots, instant patches, tubeless proddy gubbins, and many mystery things. I keep it in my rack bag.

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Under saddle bag from t’ebay - £10. Has spare tube, tyre levers, chain tool, pump adapter, gloves, 6” adjustable and double ended Allen key. Also Aspirin (medicinal) and £10 for the ‘taxi of shame‘ :-)

Bristolian

I use a cheap saddle bag from Amazon with spare inner tubes, tyre levers, quick link, multi-tool, latex gloves, hand cleanser, cloth and a few other bits and pieces wrapped in re-sealable plastic bags. Only ever needed to dive in there twice - both on the same day :sad:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Me and riding buddy talked about this at the weekend when riding. *In my underseat bag I carry:

1 x new Tube
1 x CO2 adaptor and cannister
1 x pack of 5-off ParkTool no-glue patches
1 x Presta / Schrader adaptor
1 x Mini pump
1 x pack of 2 tyre levers
Money and Handwipes

And mobile phone goes in jersey pocket.

My buddy carries much the same. Except he says he wraps most items in a rubber glove. To stop any rattles. And of course also then provides cleanliness if required……

grldtnr

Über Member
On my Recumbent, there is a handy pouch sewn into the seat , I keep essentials for the recumbent in there, tubes are of an odd size 20" & 26", multi tool ,and spanners.
I keep in another bag I bought from a charity shop another essential kit ,which gets swapped around to whichever bike I am using, all 'Up - wrongs ' but all 700 c.

Jimmy Welch

I've chopped and changed between saddle bag , bottle in gage and carry in pack in my jersey . The saddle bag is useless in winter just gets filthy and wet , plus you have to take off to clean the bike , the special designed wide neck bidon is good but you loose a bottle of water no good for long rides so carrying on my person in a small nylon wallet inside 1x Inner 2 x small tyre levers , 1 x multitool, 1x co2 and nozzle , pack of park puncture patches , few sterile wipes , few plasters and everything stays dry and neat .....bike looks better as well

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've chopped and changed between saddle bag , bottle in gage and carry in pack in my jersey . The saddle bag is useless in winter just gets filthy and wet , plus you have to take off to clean the bike , the special designed wide neck bidon is good but you loose a bottle of water no good for long rides so carrying on my person in a small nylon wallet inside 1x Inner 2 x small tyre levers , 1 x multitool, 1x co2 and nozzle , pack of park puncture patches , few sterile wipes , few plasters and everything stays dry and neat .....bike looks better as well

I briefly flirted with a bottle cage pack, but it struggled to get everything in I needed, so returned to the underseat pack.
I normally only carry one bottle anyway, makes a good excuse to cafe stop and refill it! My gilet or waterproof jacket is often in the vertical bottle cage now.

Top Bottom