DJI enter Ebike market

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
So you want a motorised for of transport where the motor does all the work
That is called a motorbike or car

I think we can all agree there are far too many cars on the roads, and an eBike is so much more accessible to people than a motorbike.

It's amazing to see how people on a cycling forum seem to have some kind of hate against eBike. Surely the more cyclist on the roads versus cars the better?

classic33

Leg End Member
I think we can all agree there are far too many cars on the roads, and an eBike is so much more accessible to people than a motorbike.

It's amazing to see how people on a cycling forum seem to have some kind of hate against eBike. Surely the more cyclist on the roads versus cars the better?
E-bikes are a light moped, not a bicycle. Some are electric motorbikes, but not treated as such by the rider.
They have their own two distinct classes that they fall into. And both require an MSVA to be legally used on UK roads.

Be interesting to see how many will still be riding one this time next year. VED*, licence, insurance, motorcycle type approved helmet. Many would have preferred it had Labour not won.

*Electric vehicles become liable from April next year, and it may be made back datable to the time of purchase. Under promises made.

E-bikes are a light moped, not a bicycle. Some are electric motorbikes, but not treated as such by the rider.
They have their own two distinct classes that they fall into. And both require an MSVA to be legally used on UK roads.

Be interesting to see how many will still be riding one this time next year. VED*, licence, insurance, motorcycle type approved helmet. Many would have preferred it had Labour not won.

*Electric vehicles become liable from April next year, and it may be made back datable to the time of purchase. Under promises made.

I follow news about ebikes in the UK fairly closely and I have seen no changes or announcements of changes from Labour
or the Tories for that matter

As far as I know legal ebikes will stay as they are - limited etc etc - but classed as simply bicycles under the law
and subject to the same regulations - or lack of regulation

Of course, I may have missed something - do you have a link??

Personally I can;t see anything changing as they currently cannot enforce any regulations for the current illegal "ebikes" as it is - as you say they are legally mopeds or motorbikes and should have all the stuff you say

classic33

Leg End Member
An electrically assisted bicycle conforming to UK law is a bicycle, these are known as ebikes and classed as bicycles.
Bicycles that meet the current EPAC regulations are known as e-assist bikes.

Whilst those that don't conform to current EPAC regulations are the ones that fall into their own seperate class of light moped. MSVA required for legal use on the road.

classic33

Leg End Member
I follow news about ebikes in the UK fairly closely and I have seen no changes or announcements of changes from Labour
or the Tories for that matter

As far as I know legal ebikes will stay as they are - limited etc etc - but classed as simply bicycles under the law
and subject to the same regulations - or lack of regulation

Of course, I may have missed something - do you have a link??

Personally I can;t see anything changing as they currently cannot enforce any regulations for the current illegal "ebikes" as it is - as you say they are legally mopeds or motorbikes and should have all the stuff you say
A "promise" made a few years ago by local labour MP's.

They managed to enforce the regulations in Ireland. A very simple case of you prove your bike is legal, or lose it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Simple enough if they can stop people

could be difficult if you have a conversion kit thingy - but for purpose built ebikes that should be easy.
There's a different way of policing in Ireland. The guards can put up a vehicle checkpoint and stop every vehicle if they need to. I've been stopped myself whilst cycling at one of these checkpoints. On the way back 1/4 of an hour later, they'd moved on.

Power limit of 250 watts continuous output still applies to conversion kits, for it to meet the current e-assist regulations.

There's a different way of policing in Ireland. The guards can put up a vehicle checkpoint and stop every vehicle if they need to. I've been stopped myself whilst cycling at one of these checkpoints. On the way back 1/4 of an hour later, they'd moved on.

Power limit of 250 watts continuous output still applies to conversion kits, for it to meet the current e-assist regulations.

The checkpoint sound good.
I have seen similar in this country - not a checkpoint as such but heading into work in Rhyl towards Christmas there were often a group of Police vehicles and they would stop someone and do a breath test. If all was OK they would be sent off and the next vehicle - of any kind - would be stopped.
They nearly always stopped me for some reasons????

The problem with the 250W thing is testing it quickly at the roadside
A legal ebike needs to have (needs as in the regulations say it must) a "plate" on it saying it is compliant.
I do not know how conversion kits do this but as my "proper" ebike's plate is basically just a good quality sticker then I presume they are the same
in which case I bet a few minutes on Google would find someone willing to sell one with whatever data you wanted on it!

but it would be good to see them make a start!

gzoom

Über Member
E-bikes are a light moped, not a bicycle.

I still don't get why you seem to hate eBikes? As far as I'm concerned any bike is better than a car :smile:.

52669482777_8a64b59d73_c_d.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I still don't get why you seem to hate eBikes? As far as I'm concerned any bike is better than a car :smile:.

View attachment 738474
When you have this sort of e-bike being ridden on the pavement, it sorta makes you think twice.
IMG_20240711_165327.jpg

Also the numerous "workarounds" advocated for, even on here. Up the power limit, deregulate the electrics. In the most basic terms riding an illegal vehicle, often ridden by people that are under age. Would you put up with illegal cars being driven on the pavements? The drivers feeling that you, as a pedestrian, should get out of their way?
Just to keep up the pretence that the person is cycling.

When you have this sort of e-bike being ridden on the pavement, it sorta makes you think twice.
View attachment 738475
Also the numerous "workarounds" advocated for, even on here. Up the power limit, deregulate the electrics. In the most basic terms riding an illegal vehicle, often ridden by people that are under age. Would you put up with illegal cars being driven on the pavements? The drivers feeling that you, as a pedestrian, should get out of their way?
Just to keep up the pretence that the person is cycling.

Thats not an e assist bicycle. Stop the whataboutism and report it to the police if you are thinking twice.

And I'll happily report anyone on this website posting a workaround.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thats not an e assist bicycle. Stop the whataboutism and report it to the police if you are thinking twice.

And I'll happily report anyone on this website posting a workaround.
No whataboutism on my part.

I gave up trying to report ebikes to the police when I saw them handing lights out to them in Leeds last year. West Yorkshire police won't even take a report of an illegal vehicle.

Top Bottom