Di2 rookie error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col1n

Col1n

Regular
Hi, thanks for the responses. The retailer has agreed to fund a diagnostic/quote for repair so thatā€™s good news. Iā€™ll keep you posted as to what happens next when I give them the inspection report šŸ‘

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like its a warranty issue , i wouldnt let the seller fob you off with a quote then land you with a big bill for something that sounds like its wrong to start with .
best of luck

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi, thanks for the responses. The retailer has agreed to fund a diagnostic/quote for repair so thatā€™s good news. Iā€™ll keep you posted as to what happens next when I give them the inspection report šŸ‘

doesn't sound like good news to me - sounds like fanny-ing around when they should be replacing it with a non-faulty one.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
doesn't sound like good news to me - sounds like fanny-ing around when they should be replacing it with a non-faulty one.

Indeed; I thought the same.

As @Smokin Joe suggests this shouldn't happen as a result of something so basic, intuitive and necessary as simply removing the seatpost.

If the OP gets no joy I'd be tempted to go head-to-head and ask the retailer if they consider operating the seatpost of a bike outside the scope of its normal use, and if so how they propose the rider sets it up to suit their height?

All that said it's an easy mistake to make - who hasn't lost count of the times making a simple adjustment to their mechanical bicycle has resulted in it attempting to catch fire and becoming entirely inoperable? šŸ‘

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
My impression is the bike was purchased online "I took it out of the packaging." Each time I read the thread my first thought is the thread highlights the difficulty with online purchases. I do agree with all the comments regarding where the fault lays. The true cost of online purchase is when a major problem occurs it is the buyer who has to take responsibility for resolving it. A quality retailer would immediately deliver a replacement and collect this bike.

My solution would be to reject the bike as "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act. I think one can do this for 30 days. Other sections of the act make it clear the seller is responsible for repair or refund. You should reject the bike, perhaps return it (not sure on this) and request a resolution within 7 - 14 days.

I don't think I would ever feel quite confident in this bike.

Personally I wouldn't buy a bike online, I always go local. I have a friend who bought, on price, a bike from an LBS two hours away. It's been returned to that LBS 6 times in a year. By coincidence with an electronic gearing issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Col1n

Col1n

Regular
A quick update: I took the bike into a repairer today to get the quote to give to the retailer. It needs a replacement Di2 cable and once that is tested, maybe a new battery because heā€™s never heard of the ā€˜smoking seatpostā€™ - Iā€™ll let you know what retailer says.
Iā€™m learning towards replacing the battery anyway; I donā€™t want to be halfway up Holme Moss and my bike explode like a clown car!
Mind you, it gives new meaning to blowing up on a climb!

My impression is the bike was purchased online "I took it out of the packaging." Each time I read the thread my first thought is the thread highlights the difficulty with online purchases. I do agree with all the comments regarding where the fault lays. The true cost of online purchase is when a major problem occurs it is the buyer who has to take responsibility for resolving it. A quality retailer would immediately deliver a replacement and collect this bike.

My solution would be to reject the bike as "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act. I think one can do this for 30 days. Other sections of the act make it clear the seller is responsible for repair or refund. You should reject the bike, perhaps return it (not sure on this) and request a resolution within 7 - 14 days.

I don't think I would ever feel quite confident in this bike.

Personally I wouldn't buy a bike online, I always go local. I have a friend who bought, on price, a bike from an LBS two hours away. It's been returned to that LBS 6 times in a year. By coincidence with an electronic gearing issue.

Yes but that's a few weeks without a bike. Couple of days for collection - about week for the refund to hit your bank account - then sourcing another bike

OP has a local bike shop on the case - who should get this sorted within a matter of days - which will be funded by the original supplier. I think the OP has the best solution - likely that the bike is fine after this issue ....

OP
OP
Col1n

Col1n

Regular
Well, itā€™s been an adventure! Repair completed, the cables had shorted. Had to wait a week for the repairer while they ordered the cables but the supplier has funded it. Iā€™m blaming the lack of cycling for the fact Iā€™ve put on a stone in the past 3 months (Nothing to do with the all inclusive holiday or the pizza 3 nights a week)! Anyway, ride it for the first time tonight in the torrential rain with a big smile on my face

Top Bottom