Cyclist escapes prosecution after fatal collision with pensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
which is really a footway

A footway has a very specific meaning. Do you have some examples? I took a look on Google street view and could only spot what we would call roads.

1715844091947.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I doubt it will have the slightest deterrent effect, since the offences of dangerous cycling and careless or inconsiderate cycling already exist.

Oh didn’t know that, got a link to the existing legislation?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I also question, in the case of the new cycling offences, whether it is worth legislating for something that happens a handful of times a year. But at the same time, there is n o good reason why this law should be any different for cyclists than for motorists.

My thoughts exactly. It's a political posturing waste of parliamentary time. It's just the govt sending signals to their support base.

But seeing as they're actually decided to waste their time on it, then fair enough. It can sit unused, or almost unused, and the statute book.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Since there are more pedestrians killed by cows each year, they will soon use parliamentary time for the offence of being a dangerous cow.

she got released on appeal.....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/I/crossheading/cycling-offences-and-cycle-racing

Section 28 - Dangerous Cycling
Section 29 - Careless, or incinsiderate Cycling

Oh interesting, though it has that vague what would be expected and part two could only be assessed by someone considered a cyclist.

Where does it list what can be imposed if such an offence is proven in court? I presume there must be plenty of examples of court outcomes as it’s nearly 28 years old?

Alex321

Guru
Oh interesting, though it has that vague what would be expected and part two could only be assessed by someone considered a cyclist.

Where does it list what can be imposed if such an offence is proven in court? I presume there must be plenty of examples of court outcomes as it’s nearly 28 years old?

The range of sentences are in the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, Schedule 2.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/53/schedule/2

I can't find any CPS sentencing guidelines for those offences.

Here is a report of one case
https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/20742552.bike-rider-fined-dangerous-cycling-buckinghamshire/

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ming he's just saying the offences exist in law, and that new offences (which have an effect element) will make minimal/no difference to the deterrent effect. Which is maybe true for individuals. But I wonder whether it might cause groups/clubs to consider how they run rides to avoid the risks of e.g. TTing on urban roads.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Since there are more pedestrians killed by cows each year, they will soon use parliamentary time for the offence of being a dangerous cow.

The fact that ... The Animals Act 1971 makes the keeper of an animal "strictly liable" in most cases for injuries caused by their stock shouldn't stop them from rushing through the Dangerous Cows Act toot sweet.

When will this bovine carnage stop?

See: https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/newsroom/public-liability-and-farmers-duty-to-control-livestock/

The only time I've nearly come to grief on a cycle path was due to some idiot with a dog. Unless your dog has 4 wheels I'd keep it off cycle paths

It's a cycle path and a footpath with a white line painted down the middle.
My entire point is that cyclists should not be riding at anything like over 30 mph where they can expect to come into conflict with pedestrians.

A footway has a very specific meaning. Do you have some examples? I took a look on Google street view and could only spot what we would call roads.

View attachment 731034

I meant footpath, not footway.

And this is looking at Strava segments in my locality, not Regent's park. I think cyclists riding on cycle ways which are shared with pedestrians should not be riding at high speeds, unless they are arrow straight, have perfect sight lines and don't involve any junctions or places from which pedestrians may emerge.

A pedestrian using or stepping onto such a cycle way is not going to anticipate cyclists riding along at 30+ mph. Neither are many other cyclists for that matter.

Top Bottom