Cycle touring in France - store bikes in hotel rooms - always acceptable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scragend

Useless fact: B&B used to sponsor a pro cycling team, that once nearly signed Cav. But they went bust last year or the year before.

Just as an aside, the team known as B&B Hotels-KTM did go bust, but B&B now sponsor the team formerly known as Arkea-Samsic, now Arkea-B&B Hotels.

Alex H

Legendary Member
When we used to tandem tour, a few years ago now, I would always book one 'posh' hotel to break up the trip. One was a chateau in northern France, in which the tandem had it's own room (empty) on the ground floor. The other example was the Lion D'Or in Bayeaux where I was directed to put the tandem in the reception area.

scragend

Maybe we need an unusual place you’ve left your bike thread! The two that stand out for me was a cold room fridge, the bike took awhile to defrost next day, and one where it had to go in a cellar but nobody had a key for the stairs so I had to lower it on a rope.

I left mine in the cellar of a hostel bar in Bath, access to which was down a very narrow flight of stairs and when I got down there the ceiling was only about five feet high and I had to make sure I didn't leave it in front of any beer barrels that might have needed to be used that night.

Also left it on an empty dancefloor in a hotel once. I hope the bike is a better dancer than I am!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
None of us consider anywhere but in the room with us overnight to be a safe space.

None us would be happy to store our bikes anywhere but in the room with us overnight.

None of us are interested in leaving our bikes in a garage or outhouse, locked or not.

I asked about putting our bikes in our rooms because we are not happy to leave them anywhere else. We will not be persuaded otherwise.

Maybe reconsider the whole cycle touring holiday thing then.

Do you store you bikes at home in the bedroom with you?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just as an aside, the team known as B&B Hotels-KTM did go bust,
Ah, the team went bust, not the hotel chain. Phew.
I'm about to have 9 days touring in France and for a moment was concerned I'd need to change one of my accommodation options!
Most of my accommodation choices have offered secure storage or a private yard where I can lock my bike. I'll be adding a heavy lock to my heavy luggage on my heavy bike. Am going to have strong legs at the end of my travels!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ah, the team went bust, not the hotel chain. Phew.
I'm about to have 9 days touring in France and for a moment was concerned I'd need to change one of my accommodation options!
Most of my accommodation choices have offered secure storage or a private yard where I can lock my bike. I'll be adding a heavy lock to my heavy luggage on my heavy bike. Am going to have strong legs at the end of my travels!

Sorry - I've just re-read my post. It's a bit ambiguous isn't it. Yes the cycling team sponsored by B&B Hotels went bust, and as @scragend pointed out B&B Hotels went off and sponsored a different cycling team.

Last edited:
Top Bottom