Cycle touring in France - store bikes in hotel rooms - always acceptable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

ontodva

I really only want to ask people with enough experience... is there likely to be an issue with leaving our bikes in our rooms.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I asked about putting our bikes in our rooms because we are not happy to leave them anywhere else. We will not be persuaded otherwise.

You're potentially setting yourselves a bit of a problem. Especially as none of you speak French. Unlike, say, Germany or Denmark you can't expect people to speak English.

Last edited:

TomDW

I asked about putting our bikes in our rooms because we are not happy to leave them anywhere else. We will not be persuaded otherwise.

I don't know how much your bikes are worth or where you're staying in France but I'd certainly take a chill pill in France in terms of bike security.
Take the front wheel of or something but generally in rural France you'll be fine.
In a big city then yes caution advised but you'd still generally put your bike in their luggage store next to the reception.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have to agree. I’ve always been offered somewhere secure but it’s not always possible to put a bike in your room. It’s been in garages, linen cupboards, breakfast rooms, cold room, cellars, offices etc. I’ve definitely had some hard looks when I suggested putting in my room and on occasion it would have been physically impossible. Maybe because I like small independent places rather than chains. I also speak French.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I really only want to ask people with enough experience... is there likely to be an issue with leaving our bikes in our rooms.
I'm thinking back to last year in France, Alsace. Two hotels had specific bicycle garages, impossible to take a bike from without exchanging your room key for the garage key. Still locked our bikes in it, though. They'd not let you take bikes into rooms. Two hotels kept the bikes in a room behind reception. One had a bike shed, which had a door that didn't actually lock but it looked solid and it was a pretty small town. You wouldn't easily get a bike up to a room in that small hotel.

I think if you are really set on keeping your bike with you, you'll have to stick to certain chains and motel-type hotels (f1, 1ere classe, and so on).

Emanresu

When phoning, we always initially ask "Do you speak English" to make matters simple. Most times you will get a yes. So try calling first

Alternatively there is a large chain of 2* Hotels called B&B. Would be surprised if there weren't a number of them available to you. B&B operate a system where you book yourself into the room using a code on the door. There are next to no staff apart from those serving breakfast so what you do in your room and what you take into your room is up to you.

They are clean, functional and cheap. Used them a few times. I did have an issue one night when I got a code, went into the room and there were people sleeping there. Left quietly and had to use the intercom type system to call an English speaking help desk at their headquarters who sorted another room for me.

Enjoy your tour and if security is an issue then insure. Or I have a 2.2kg Diamond standard D-lock you can have.

https://www.hotel-bb.com/en

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When phoning, we always initially ask "Do you speak English" to make matters simple. Most times you will get a yes. So try calling first

Alternatively there is a large chain of 2* Hotels called B&B. Would be surprised if there weren't a number of them available to you. B&B operate a system where you book yourself into the room using a code on the door. There are next to no staff apart from those serving breakfast so what you do in your room and what you take into your room is up to you.

They are clean, functional and cheap. Used them a few times. I did have an issue one night when I got a code, went into the room and there were people sleeping there. Left quietly and had to use the intercom type system to call an English speaking help desk at their headquarters who sorted another room for me.

Enjoy your tour and if security is an issue then insure. Or I have a 2.2kg Diamond standard D-lock you can have.

https://www.hotel-bb.com/en
I think this may be the best answer to the OP's problem. I've never used B&B but I have used Campanile and Formule 1 and a combination of these should give the best chance of in-room storage (as @mjr suggests above).

It's a shame as these places, while generally OK and clean are rather soulless.

Posher hotels, such as the one I was in last week (swank, swank) it will be a definite "non". There, the hotel parking was like Fort Knox, with multiple up and over doors to negotiate to get to my bike, using a key from reception (and often a person from reception too as it was such a maze) but it wasn't the in-room storage that the OP wants.

Smaller independents will be a probable "non", possible "oui", with storage that, although many on here would argue is adequately secure, isn't what the OP wants.

An alternative would be to hire a gite and do rides from a base.

Useless fact: B&B used to sponsor a pro cycling team, that once nearly signed Cav. But they (the cycling team, not B&B hotels) went bust last year or the year before.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was told very clearly that bikes are not allowed in B&B Dunkerque centre and, like many channel port "self service" hotels, they have security guards when reception is closed who would enforce that rule. It was suggested we use the train station parking, but I rather like having a bike to return to, so we booked somewhere else, out of town.

Still bikes in a private garage, not the rooms, though.

Gillstay

Über Member
I don't speak French and we stopped at a B & B in the countryside, locked the bike up outside and came out in the morning to find them gone.
The little old lady and her son had picked up both bikes together and very carefully as they weren't marked, put them in their garage.
They took out their car to do so and did it because it looked like rain. So I would stick to yer guns. they are not to be trusted. ^_^

albion

Guru
Usually best not to ask and just carry the bikes to the room. Cover the floor so no dirt gets on from the wheels. The Formulae One rooms were like chalets so bikes went straight in no bother. Unless you do very expensive places I would not really ask.

Top Bottom