Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been catching up on the T20 World Cup.

Good to see Papua New Guinea give the Windies a scare, they seem very well put together, unlike the Canadians whose bowling against the US was all over the shop.

From what I've read the coverage in the US has been poor to virtually non existent. So much for trying to grow the game there; it's not like it would be difficult to promote the T20 format either.
Football(Soccer:sad:)has made some good inroads in the usa but nfl and Baseball still rule supreme.
I can't see Cricket catching on over there.I mean will the american citizens ever understand the Cricket terms like googly,yorker,third man,short fine leg and bowling a maiden over etc?

AndyRM

XOXO
Football(Soccer:sad:)has made some good inroads in the usa but nfl and Baseball still rule supreme.
I can't see Cricket catching on over there.I mean will the american citizens ever understand the Cricket terms like googly,yorker,third man,short fine leg and bowling a maiden over etc?

Don't forget NBA.

World Cup 94 really helped with football, but I doubt this will do the same. The only hope really is that T20 is quick, high scoring and provides lots of opportunities for crowd participation.

The Civil War did for cricket in the US, amongst other factors, this is a pretty good summary:

https://wisden.com/stories/historical/how-civil-war-made-usa-switch-from-cricket-to-baseball

I quite like baseball, it's a far more difficult game than it's given credit for. An average fastball is over 90mph, trying to hit that straight out of the air with a tiny bat is no mean feat.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I kinda think those of Caribbean and South Asian heritage might be OK.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
England Vs Scotland - the pitch has an embarrassing wet patch right on a length that is being dried off with a leaf blower!

tom73

Guru
Today marks 60 years ago the great Geoffrey Boycott made his England debut. A nice piece in the telegraph he looks at how things have change for good and bad.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rain might well have saved England there, that was going to be a tricky chase!

I really hope the Scots can do similar to Aussie

geocycle

Legendary Member
Rain might well have saved England there, that was going to be a tricky chase!

I really hope the Scots can do similar to Aussie
You may be right there. 10 overs is a lottery, two good overs for either side would have decided it.

AndyRM

XOXO
USA beating Pakistan via a super over was very entertaining!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Nah, it'll be USA and Scotland!

It must be infuriating being a Pakistan supporter, you never really know which version is going to show up. Never boring I suppose!

yes 3 wides in the super over was definitely "entertaining". I was following it on BBC text, so far highlights have seen have glossed over the wide balls, mainly showing boundaries etc.

Aaron Jones is making a name for himself, apart from being run out going for an impossible 2 on the last ball of the super over, he's scored 143 runs with being out. He does play Island cricket for Barbados, so not a complete part timer.

AndyRM

XOXO
Extras high scored for Pakistan in their super-over with 6.

The commentators on Sky were particularly scathing about the Pakistan bowling, particularly the wide where the US ran an extra two as well. Amateur stuff really.

Top Bottom