Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The likelihood of any one person directly benefiting from a vaccination is NOT small. It is very high, particularly in the case of the Covid vaccine, but also any others where the chance of you catching the relevant disease is high.

I have had the vaccine and all boosters, as has my wife. We have each had Covid at least twice, with the effects being no more than a moderately severe cold. Without the vaccination, I am sure the effects would have been much more severe - with the other conditions she has, the odds are my wife would have been hospitalised. I probably wouldn't but would still have been much more severely ill.

The odds of any one person surviving where they otherwise wouldn't may be low, but vaccinations offer more benefits than just surviving.
Did you misunderstand?
I didn't say the benefit to every individual was small, only that to any one person it might be small. The JCVI and UKHSA presumably must agree, why else did they withdraw the covid jab from most of us?

Anyway, my words were in the specific context of people (not you) that say they don't need jabs. My recommendation was get jabbed and take other basic health precautions to protect others if not yourself. Don't be selfish.

ie , protect people like my daughter and my mother who are both in the clinically vulnerable cohort; thankfully they can still get boosters; indeed they are prioritised within each seasonal rollout. They also qualify for antivirals if they test positive.

And I'm well aware there's more than "just surviving" to consider. I can speak from personal experience as I'm currently being investigated for covid-related symptoms that have persisted for almost 3 years.

I get quite annoyed by people who argue against jabs. I am NOT among their number.
See also: MMR, etc.

Alex321

Guru
Did you misunderstand?
I didn't say the benefit to every individual was small, only that to any one person it might be small. The JCVI and UKHSA presumably must agree, why else did they withdraw the covid jab from most of us?

Yes, I did misunderstand . Sorry.

Anyway, my words were in the specific context of people (not you) that say they don't need jabs. My recommendation was get jabbed and take other basic health precautions to protect others if not yourself. Don't be selfish.

ie , protect people like my daughter and my mother who are both in the clinically vulnerable cohort; thankfully they can still get boosters; indeed they are prioritised within each seasonal rollout. They also qualify for antivirals if they test positive.
My daughter is also in that cohort (having had Chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma a couple of years before Covid hit).

And my wife & I are both in the cohort that gets boosters due to our age.

And I'm well aware there's more than "just surviving" to consider. I can speak from personal experience as I'm currently being investigated for covid-related symptoms that have persisted for almost 3 years.

I get quite annoyed by people who argue against jabs. I am NOT among their number.
See also: MMR, etc.
I hope I didn't come across as suggesting you might be among that number.

The post of yours I was responding to was quite clearly supporting vaccination, I just misunderstood the one part, and was highlighting that even for individuals the benefit may well be high.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Off topic but one thing that bugged me during FMD was: exactly how did they burn animal carcasses? I mean cows aren't particularly inflammable things. So they must have used extra fuel. But what?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Off topic but one thing that bugged me during FMD was: exactly how did they burn animal carcasses? I mean cows aren't particularly inflammable things. So they must have used extra fuel. But what?

Dig a pit, fill it with straw bales, chuck the Cattle in then cover with more bales..................pour over a couple of hundred gallons of 'Red Diesel' and light the blue touch paper. :sad:

ianbarton

Veteran
Correct. We have two
Dig a pit, fill it with straw bales, chuck the Cattle in then cover with more bales..................pour over a couple of hundred gallons of 'Red Diesel' and light the blue touch paper. :sad:

Correct. We have two sites on the farm where the cows were buried from 1966 and the previous one. Luckily we didn't catch it in the most recent outbreak. The government completely ignored the lessons learnt from the 1966 outbreak: stop all animal movement as soon as the disease was recognized and dispose of the carcasses in pits on the farm.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Correct. We have two

Correct. We have two sites on the farm where the cows were buried from 1966 and the previous one. Luckily we didn't catch it in the most recent outbreak. The government completely ignored the lessons learnt from the 1966 outbreak: stop all animal movement as soon as the disease was recognized and dispose of the carcasses in pits on the farm.

Sad how some people continue to walk their dogs crying "It's a footpath" as if that is justification for spreading the contagion. :cursing:

silva

Über Member
Maybe your just lucky or natural immunity ?
On a previous work there was a bodybuilder guy in a team of 2.
The latter once told me that some people asked if he trained alot.
He then replied no, he was born that way.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...op-in-massachusetts-closes-its-doors/2415140/
The pandemic’s impact on the store’s supply chain made it difficult to keep new bicycles in stock. And although repairs kept the business going, some parts were hard to get due to supply shortages.

Soon, the store was losing money, he said.

Saying goodbye to customers was the hardest part.

“We had people with tears in their eyes, and by the time they were done talking with me, I had tears in my eyes also,” Harris said.
The virus killed the bicycle supply chain.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
On a previous work there was a bodybuilder guy in a team of 2.
The latter once told me that some people asked if he trained alot.
He then replied no, he was born that way.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...op-in-massachusetts-closes-its-doors/2415140/

The virus killed the bicycle supply chain.
Machines can be replaced, or bought elsewhere. The people it killed can never be replaced.

A shop that was there all my life, and before by the same family, closed it's doors at the start of lockdown. It never reopened due to the then owner being a victim of Covid-19.
I have more sympathy for the parent left behind after his death than I do for them seeing his shop close up. Sounds odd but it's the best way I can think of wording it, knowing the parent left behind.

Try something newer than 2021.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've taken all the COVID vaccines and boosters I've been offered since about 2020. For all I know, my bloodstream is simply swirling with stealthily injected microchips that have taken over my body and are reporting back to The Evil Being living in a hollowed out volcano somewhere on a deserted island.

I didn't spend thirty years studying medicine, epidemiology, chemistry etc etc, nor did I get too enthusiastic about embracing daft conspiracy theories. I'm quite content to delegate responsibility for my health to people who have not done too badly for me so far.

Today a long anticipated email dropped into my inbox at work. I have been asked to help compose my health board’s response to the latest questions put out by the UK Covid Inquiry. It’s the ones related to our preparedness in terms of numbers of ICU ventilators and other essential equipment. It’ll be a good test of the grey cells but we were in a good position equipment wise, it’s just remembering the details.

icowden

Veteran
Will the rest of us get it? Including my son who is due to start uni next week?
It's going to depend on your immune system and exposure. Even if you do get it, you may or may not be symptomatic. Your son is least likely to be affected as presumably he's a healthy 18 year old boy. To minimise risk of contagion, try to avoid being exposed to coughs and sneezes, keep rooms well ventilated etc.

Covid is now much lower risk - as the strains mutate they become less damaging. My understanding is that they want to get better at not damaging the host.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Covid is now much lower risk - as the strains mutate they become less damaging. My understanding is that they want to get better at not damaging the host.

I think this is a misunderstanding.

The only reason for covid to evolve to be less damaging if that it kills you so quickly you can't infect others.

Covid evolves to become more transmissible and/or immune escape. There's no reason those changes should make it less damaging.

The reason covid is less damaging is because almost everyone has some immunity, either from vaccination, previous infection or both.

The direction the evolution of virulence takes in connection with any pathogen is a long-standing question. Formerly, it was theorized that pathogens should always evolve to be less virulent. As observations were not in line with this theoretical outcome, new theories emerged, chief among them the transmission–virulence trade-off hypotheses, which predicts an intermediate level of virulence as the endpoint of evolution. At the moment, we are very much interested in the future evolution of COVID-19’s virulence. Here, we show that the disease does not fulfill all the assumptions of the hypothesis. In the case of COVID-19, a higher viral load does not mean a higher risk of death; immunity is not long-lasting; other hosts can act as reservoirs for the virus; and death as a consequence of viral infection does not shorten the infectious period. Consequently, we cannot predict the short- or long-term evolution of the virulence of COVID-19.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10066022/

Top Bottom