Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I was disinclined to accept their treatment because I am old enough to remember the ‘triumphs’ of Thalidomide, Factor Eight and Sodium Valproate. The facts that no one was to be held responsible if it all went horribly wrong reinforced that view. And when it came to light that Pfizer had been fined over three billion dollars for misrepresenting its products, that did it for me.
I won’t be accepting drugs from criminals, thanks.

screenman

Legendary Member
I offer my deepest condolences, I was told to expect the worst for my wife at one point, I can not begin to imagine how you cope.

Just about is how I am coping; the pain most of the time is immense. Unfortunately, half of every couple is going to have to go through it at some point. One thing that helps me cope a little is reaching out and helping others in the same position.

Slick

Guru
Just about is how I am coping; the pain most of the time is immense. Unfortunately, half of every couple is going to have to go through it at some point. One thing that helps me cope a little is reaching out and helping others in the same position.

I can only imagine but it must be the toughest thing to go through.

Johnno260

Veteran
Maybe your just lucky or natural immunity ? What I can tell you, as I know of few folk with long covid . They are proper knackered, one has decided to sell the house so they can move into a bungalow . Can’t manage the stairs . Another lady whom was keen cyclist , regular 50-60 miles every weekend . History now as she’ cannot even cycle a few miles.
But ya know it’s all made up . This was before they got vaccines as it was early days of Covid .

As for the sniffles , I could say the same , been relatively healthy , fully vaccinated?!

I know two people with long Covid and they caught it pre vaccine, one was a keen runner and a physiotherapist, now in a wheelchair.

Also one kid who still isn’t able to attend school full time to extreme fatigue since a Covid infection, it’s certainly nothing to take trivially.

screenman

Legendary Member
I can only imagine but it must be the toughest thing to go through.

Thank you, I could never have imagined anything this painful, I am active, fit a good chatter and still working, those things are just about keeping me sane, I am also self motivated, meaning when it gets really painful I can make myself go for a swim or to the gym, anything to get away from the loneliness.

Can I make a point whilst we are on this subject, do not do what every other person does and say "if there is anything I can do for you" a grieving person is extremely unlikely to take you up on that offer, it is easier to sit and cry than reach out. Be the person who does something, buy the grieving person a cake, go and visit them, pull up and wash their car for them, cut their lawn, anything, but do something, please. I have learned this lesson and am trying to be the person who does something.

Slick, hopefully you know this is general and not aimed at yourself.

Slick

Guru
Thank you, I could never have imagined anything this painful, I am active, fit a good chatter and still working, those things are just about keeping me sane, I am also self motivated, meaning when it gets really painful I can make myself go for a swim or to the gym, anything to get away from the loneliness.

Can I make a point whilst we are on this subject, do not do what every other person does and say "if there is anything I can do for you" a grieving person is extremely unlikely to take you up on that offer, it is easier to sit and cry than reach out. Be the person who does something, buy the grieving person a cake, go and visit them, pull up and wash their car for them, cut their lawn, anything, but do something, please. I have learned this lesson and am trying to be the person who does something.

Slick, hopefully you know this is general and not aimed at yourself.

Absolutely.

Thanks for the insight.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was disinclined to accept their treatment because I am old enough to remember the ‘triumphs’ of Thalidomide, Factor Eight and Sodium Valproate. The facts that no one was to be held responsible if it all went horribly wrong reinforced that view. And when it came to light that Pfizer had been fined over three billion dollars for misrepresenting its products, that did it for me.
I won’t be accepting drugs from criminals, thanks.
Factor Eight isn't a drug as such. Sodium Valproate was introduced 1962. Thalidomide 1957. That's about 65 years ago. You have to go back 65 years for those two drug scandals. How many drugs have been introduced in those 65 years which have helped massively without going so wrong?

"Pfizer had been fined over three billion dollars for misrepresenting its products" is a bit inaccurate. They were fined a record $2.3bn for various illegal marketing acts, including direct payments to prescribers and encouraging "off-label" prescribing. Not misrepresentation. (Source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2875889/ ) The total goes over $3bn and includes misrepresentation only when you add in various cases involving companies that Pfizer bought (Upjohn did a bit of mislabelling, for one), including some from before Pfizer bought them.

You really should check and give sources for this sort of wild claim, but also ask who's feeding you slightly-distorted claims and why.

And if someone didn't like the BioNTech vaccine because Pfizer got involved, there were others pretty soon after.

I'm pretty sceptical of pharma companies because of my experiences (I may never remember parts of my life) but I still felt it was worth trying to get vaccinated, as far as offered.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Factor Eight isn't a drug as such. Sodium Valproate was introduced 1962. Thalidomide 1957. That's about 65 years ago. You have to go back 65 years for those two drug scandals. How many drugs have been introduced in those 65 years which have helped massively without going so wrong?

"Pfizer had been fined over three billion dollars for misrepresenting its products" is a bit inaccurate. They were fined a record $2.3bn for various illegal marketing acts, including direct payments to prescribers and encouraging "off-label" prescribing. Not misrepresentation. (Source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2875889/ ) The total goes over $3bn and includes misrepresentation only when you add in various cases involving companies that Pfizer bought (Upjohn did a bit of mislabelling, for one), including some from before Pfizer bought them.

You really should check and give sources for this sort of wild claim, but also ask who's feeding you slightly-distorted claims and why.

And if someone didn't like the BioNTech vaccine because Pfizer got involved, there were others pretty soon after.

I'm pretty sceptical of pharma companies because of my experiences (I may never remember parts of my life) but I still felt it was worth trying to get vaccinated, as far as offered.

Thank you for your opinion. It's a shame your scepticism of pharma companies did not emerge earlier. With the oncoming COVID wave, let’s hope your boosters are up to date.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Definitely the latter I think!

I actually don’t even think about the virus any more and that’s from someone who decided against any vaccinations. I haven’t even had a sniffle yet the amount of people I know around here that were vaccinated and now seem to be picking up bugs and suffering from long chest infections that are difficult to shift, coughs, etc seems a bit suspect.

I have long suffered from repeat and difficult to shift chest infections. 3 or 4 a year was the norm and I carry an antibiotic rescue pack (Moxyfloxacin, heavy duty!)

During covid I had none. As soon as lockdowns and distancing finished I reverted to type and had a sequence of chest infections. Many people I know also found themselves contracting difficult to shift coughs and colds. My wife rarely has colds and has had one since the start of the pandemic and covid 5 weeks ago.

You are simply observing the predicted and expected results of social isolation and distancing. Ockham's Razor tells us there is no need to look further and blame vaccines.

markemark

Über Member
Amazing what stories people tell themselves.

I wonder what other medical treatments you'd refuse.

Not only that, they come on to threads telling everyone how it’s all just a sniffle and all good between harrowing posts about loved ones actually dying. Yes it’s minor for the vast majority. But it’s utterly horrific for a significant number. In all likelihood most here never had anything to worry about and I dare say I never needed a vaccine , but there’s plenty enough of distressing stories to keep your gloating nonsense to yourself.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The likelihood of any one person directly benefiting from a vaccination might be small. The likelihood of society benefiting from herd immunity if sufficient people get vaccinated is high.

Also facemasks, handwashing, and... ooh, lets's move away from disease and champion fundamentals like basic courtesy and tolerance. It's not difficult.

Alex321

Guru
The likelihood of any one person directly benefiting from a vaccination might be small. The likelihood of society benefiting from herd immunity if sufficient people get vaccinated is high.

Also facemasks, handwashing, and... ooh, lets's move away from disease and champion fundamentals like basic courtesy and tolerance. It's not difficult.

The likelihood of any one person directly benefiting from a vaccination is NOT small. It is very high, particularly in the case of the Covid vaccine, but also any others where the chance of you catching the relevant disease is high.

I have had the vaccine and all boosters, as has my wife. We have each had Covid at least twice, with the effects being no more than a moderately severe cold. Without the vaccination, I am sure the effects would have been much more severe - with the other conditions she has, the odds are my wife would have been hospitalised. I probably wouldn't but would still have been much more severely ill.

The odds of any one person surviving where they otherwise wouldn't may be low, but vaccinations offer more benefits than just surviving.

Top Bottom