Condor tourer project. And a stuck seatpost.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
This was donated to my local charity shop. I regularly browse their bikes and offered a hundred quid for this before it went on display. It looked like a good bike for my wife (not that she'd expressed any desire at all for another bike, but there we are), and I thought all that it needed was a strip down and a good clean. Sadly, the seatpost was stuck: there was about a foot of seatpost chemically welded to the steel, and it wasn't shifting. I tried sawing it out with no luck and eventually hammered a wine cork into the bottom of the seatpost and filled it up with caustic, which dissolved the post over the course of about a week. Nasty stuff, caustic; you definitely don't want it in your eyes! There's still about half an inch of seatpost just above the bottle cage bosses, but I can live with that. Anyway, the rest of the rebuild was pretty straightforward: new tyres, new brake blocks, new headset and wheel bearings, some nice new mudguards and an ultrasonic bath for all the oily bits. It's come up pretty well, although the decals have suffered a bit from the caustic I used to dissolve the seatpost. Sadly, after all that effort my wife doesn't actually get on with it.

IMG20240707180939.jpg

IMG20240617132501.jpg

IMG20240607134157.jpg

IMG20240607134228.jpg

IMG20240712181623.jpg

Luckily never been confronted with a seatpost such as that - kudos to you for being so determined to exterminate it.
Nice looking end result.

This was donated to my local charity shop. I regularly browse their bikes and offered a hundred quid for this before it went on display. It looked like a good bike for my wife (not that she'd expressed any desire at all for another bike, but there we are), and I thought all that it needed was a strip down and a good clean. Sadly, the seatpost was stuck: there was about a foot of seatpost chemically welded to the steel, and it wasn't shifting. I tried sawing it out with no luck and eventually hammered a wine cork into the bottom of the seatpost and filled it up with caustic, which dissolved the post over the course of about a week. Nasty stuff, caustic; you definitely don't want it in your eyes! There's still about half an inch of seatpost just above the bottle cage bosses, but I can live with that. Anyway, the rest of the rebuild was pretty straightforward: new tyres, new brake blocks, new headset and wheel bearings, some nice new mudguards and an ultrasonic bath for all the oily bits. It's come up pretty well, although the decals have suffered a bit from the caustic I used to dissolve the seatpost. Sadly, after all that effort my wife doesn't actually get on with it.

View attachment 740295

View attachment 740297

View attachment 740298

View attachment 740299

View attachment 740292

Nice job.

Top Bottom