Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've nopw been using my Lupine Tesla 5 for about 1 month and it's brill. Only the slightly-fiddly-to-use-while-wearing-gloves on-off switch could be better, the rest of the light is superb, from the terrific spread of light to the unfeasibly long battery life is seems to posess! I wich I'd (a) known about Lupine lights before now and (b) not tried to look for the lowest cost option and just paid for a decent product years ago, it would have saved me money in the long run :blush: :sun:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
thats a hell of alot of money and I suppose to a certain degree you do get what you pay. I remember a month or so back chatting to a guy on the run in, his lumicycle light cost him £300 but boy its was bright. Anyway my DX cheapy is sitting here at GUANGZHOU or its flying here now!

Matthames

Über Member
thats a hell of alot of money and I suppose to a certain degree you do get what you pay. I remember a month or so back chatting to a guy on the run in, his lumicycle light cost him £300 but boy its was bright. Anyway my DX cheapy is sitting here at GUANGZHOU or its flying here now!

Probably more than likely be travelling surface by ship. Providing it doesn't get captured by Sudanese pirates, it will probably be with you by Christmas.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
The LED 3Si Lumicycle is available for £200 now. Designed and manufactured by a small business in the UK, mine arrived within 24 hours of ordering :whistle:

They've seen me through 5 winters so far, I'm interested to see how long everyones DX lights last.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thats probably the one I saw on that chaps bike, very bright. You may have a point with the lasting ability, I currently run a modded Cateye Tripleshot which is now 4yrs old, still running happily and will probably keep running. However I paid £100 for it, which was not a huge amount but not cheap neither. These DX lights may last a life time or they may pack in after 6 months or a year who knows, however compare it to other £30 lights and its a no brainer! :whistle:

However right now I am more concerned with receiving my item :smile: If I don`t its £30 wasted!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
you would of been better posting in this thread :tongue:

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Glad you like the Moon mrmacmusic - the fact you have to go through "off" to get back to overdrive was also the only thing I didn't really like about it.

Thanks Baggy – it's working fine for me, and having only paid £69 for it, I reckon that's seriously good value for money!

I sent an email to the manufacturers about the fact that the light cycles through "off", suggesting they update the firmware for the next batch of lights... whether they actually do or not remains to be seen. Only a minor niggle of course, but worth fixing IMHO.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well my light arrived today, this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300604034468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

first impression was excellent until I tried to use it. By a process of elimination I have found that the charger works fine, the light works fine and the batteries themselves seem ok. But there is something wrong with the lead from battery pack, the one that either connects to the light or the charger. Push fit and set it up as normal and everything is dead as a dodo. However bend the wire just before the connecting socket, requires a certain direction and amount of pressure, and everything works fine.

Have sent them a message via e-bay on this but I'm not prepared to spend any dosh shipping stuff back, I made that decision when I purchased. So we could be looking at a bit of home maintenance here :eek: what's inside one of the molded plastic socket things? How is the wire actually connected and is it fixable by amateur who has tools and is patient? I'm guessing I could also buy a new battery pack but I'd still face the problem of needing the right connector fitted to it.

Bman

Guru
You will probably need to buy a new connector. The moulded one wont be easily fixed.

Buy a new connector of the same type from somewhere like maplin, chop off the cable before you get to the lose connection and replace the connector. You may need a soldering iron.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well my light arrived today, this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300604034468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

first impression was excellent until I tried to use it. By a process of elimination I have found that the charger works fine, the light works fine and the batteries themselves seem ok. But there is something wrong with the lead from battery pack, the one that either connects to the light or the charger. Push fit and set it up as normal and everything is dead as a dodo. However bend the wire just before the connecting socket, requires a certain direction and amount of pressure, and everything works fine.

Have sent them a message via e-bay on this but I'm not prepared to spend any dosh shipping stuff back, I made that decision when I purchased. So we could be looking at a bit of home maintenance here :eek: what's inside one of the molded plastic socket things? How is the wire actually connected and is it fixable by amateur who has tools and is patient? I'm guessing I could also buy a new battery pack but I'd still face the problem of needing the right connector fitted to it.

should be pretty straightforward. How is the battery charger connector, is it the same type that connects to the battery? My Cateye tripleshot has a separate connector for charging which is different! Anyway if its just a loose connection its fixable :thumbsup:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You will probably need to buy a new connector. The moulded one wont be easily fixed.

Buy a new connector of the same type from somewhere like maplin, chop off the cable before you get to the lose connection and replace the connector. You may need a soldering iron.

This is only a stubby little cable, excluding the molded bits either end, about 2" long, so not a lot of room to play with. The battery cannister is easy enough to open and the cells are bunched together and shrinkwrapped. Is it possible to buy the whole lead and just disconnect/reconnect at battery end?

Top Bottom