Scotland : Dumfries & Galloway CC Ecosse Langholm Border Raid 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The CC Ecosse Border Raid.

Saturday 26th October
Total mileage: 54 miles

We meet up in the very pleasant border town of Langholm, the Muckle Toon, where there is ample free parking for us by the river ready to set out on a two-part tour of the Borderland.

There is not a lot of flat ground on this ride, but the majority of climbs are long drags rather than very steep. The second half sees some short steep climbs but the final climb is the real kicker.

Right from the start we start climbing, heading up the "Baw Buster" that takes us past Westerkirk and rises steadily for the first 10 miles, topping out at 750ft. Once on the top it tends to head downwards until we turn left at Paddockhole. We bump along a bit and then take on the Calisterhall climb, reaching the 760ft summit at the 20 mile point. Then we have 5 miles of the lovely "Catch me if you can.." downhill back to Langholm and lunch.

After lunch and a refill of water bottles, we take on the tougher 2nd part. Heading to Claygate, we encounter some sharper climbs before crossing the border into England to make the most of quiet undulating roads, with more short sharp climbs, passing through Church Newcastleton and Kershopefoot. We then cross back into Scotland and head to Newcastleton and another opportunity for food and water.

Now comes the big one. Two climbs and two descents await us. The first climb takes us up to 1120ft over the first 4 miles, then you won't need to pedal at all for the next 2 miles. The second of the climbs comes in two parts, the first is the tougher one, then it flattens out for a bit before a longer drag up to the top, passing the Hugh McDairmid monument where we can coast the remaining 2 miles back to Langholm.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2997818

Normal rules apply:
  • Any bike will do :bicycle:
  • Nobody gets left behind :hugs:
  • There will be cake! :hungry:
Meet up in the car park by the river at 10am, aiming to leave at 10:30am.

Since the route comes back to its start point at halfway, it is quite possible for riders to do only the first half if they do not feel up to the full route. If you want to use this option, you are still more than welcome and you'll still have a very nice ride in the Langholm countryside with great company. :thumbsup:

Attendance:
Updated list

Definite
MikeW-71
ShooglyDougie
Fubar
Col5632
jaggyallan
tug benson
Tolvar
mcshroom

Maybe
Rasmus

Last edited:

Col5632

Guru
Sounds and looks like a great route, put me down as a maybe :thumbsup:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have just booked that weekend off work! Unfortunately I did so because of a family social do on the Saturday night, and it's in Rothesay :sad:. However, I don't think that would exclude me from being able to do the first loop at least (not sure of the start time of the family reunion yet). BTW, I will NOT be cycling to the start this time :blush:.

D

Deleted member 20519

Probably a bit far for me to get to unfortunately :sad:

Sound like a plan, we need to squeeze 100k out of it though.
Cycle to ride! Ftfy :thanks: :tongue:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
I have found an extra loop in the first half that brings the distance up to 62.3 miles (think that's enough) but also takes the climbing over 5000ft. My only other concern with making it longer distance is that we will have less daylight and I don't want to cut it too fine. It will also be colder.

It's a lovely ride, but I wouldn't want to put people off if it looks too hard.

Definite
MikeW-71
ShooglyDougie
Louch
Fubar

Maybe
Col5632
Brandane

Last edited by a moderator:

Fubar

Guru
was looking on the map for somewhere approx 5 miles away that we could park at and ride to the start - but there really is nothing down there, isn't there?!?

Col5632

Guru
was looking on the map for somewhere approx 5 miles away that we could park at and ride to the start - but there really is nothing down there, isn't there?!?

I was going to quote Mike saying yeah there is but I'm guessing you mean to get the 62 miles done?

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Train service to Lockerbie is spotty at best, so I would probably be dependent on a lift if I am to make this one.

Top Bottom