Cartoons we need em . post your favourites here .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG-20240822-WA0003.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member

A friend recounted something similar in her short-lived relationship with a chap who was a bit of a "confirmed bachelor"; although a genuine good guy he was very much set in his ways. "You can't sit there; that's the dog's chair"

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A friend recounted something similar in her short-lived relationship with a chap who was a bit of a "confirmed bachelor"; although a genuine good guy he was very much set in his ways. "You can't sit there; that's the dog's chair"

As kids if the dog was on the settee we weren't allowed to shift it, we had to sit on the floor or go get a chair out of the kitchen.

dicko

Guru
IMG_2580.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You can joke but have you ever visited, say, Ayrshire?

Not unusual to see a farmer type in his Land Rover with the dog in the front passenger seat and his wife in the back!

In a similar vein we were drinking well after hours in an Irish pub, just over the border in the Republic. Sunday's the big drinking day and I think Fermanagh in the north was, at least back then, dry on sunday so loads had nipped across so the pub was packed. A very drunk old farmer was semi conscious leaning against the wall in the corridor and eventually his two strapping grown up sons, came to fetch him home. "C'mon da, time to go" and the carried him out to their landrover.
Astonishingly the comatose old man was shoved into the driver's seat and the two sons climbed in the back !

I understand drink driving laws are taken considerably more seriously these days

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In a similar vein we were drinking well after hours in an Irish pub, just over the border in the Republic. Sunday's the big drinking day and I think Fermanagh in the north was, at least back then, dry on sunday so loads had nipped across so the pub was packed. A very drunk old farmer was semi conscious leaning against the wall in the corridor and eventually his two strapping grown up sons, came to fetch him home. "C'mon da, time to go" and the carried him out to their landrover.
Astonishingly the comatose old man was shoved into the driver's seat and the two sons climbed in the back !

I understand drink driving laws are taken considerably more seriously these days

Staying with a friend's relatives in the back of beyond on the west coast, ended an evening in the pub by being driven back through the winding country lanes, at about 10mph, by a man so paralytic other people had to prop his head back vertical at intervals. This was routine, apparently. And everyone round there did it, every Saturday night. Like you say, this was getting on 40 years back - doubtless very different now.

I stayed in Scotland a few times beside a large inland loch
The nearest town - and pub - was a few miles up the road
and when I say road I mean a minimum width strip of tarmac with trees on both side and constantly going up and down as it followed the banks of the loch and wound left and right to try to maintain an acceptable gradient.
with passing places where they could find somewhere to put them - often a fair distance between them

The local used to gather in the pub and then drive home afterwards in whatever state the ended up in
We were told to avoid driving on that road after about 10 at night - especially on Fridays and Saturdays

Top Bottom