Mark_Robson
Guru
- Location
- West Boldon Tyne & Wear
OMG I have white tape on my Sunday best bike.......runs out to colour it black.redddraggon said:I used to have loads when iused White handlebar tape, use only black now, and I haven't crashed.


OMG I have white tape on my Sunday best bike.......runs out to colour it black.redddraggon said:I used to have loads when iused White handlebar tape, use only black now, and I haven't crashed.


I believe the pro-teams scrap carbon stems automatically after a crash, whether there are signs of damage or not.redddraggon said:Carbon stems on the otherhand I don't feel that they would need replacing in a crash, because I don't feel a crash would damage them, the crash would damage the bars or steerer. The stems tend to be hugely overbuilt and stiff anyway.
Yeah because I've never seen ally suddenly give up in normal use... just talk to Origamist about handle bars.RecordAceFromNew said:
MajorMantra said:Carbon stems seem disproportionately expensive given that many of them aren't even all that light. If it's weight savings you're after, what about a Thomson?
Matthew
redddraggon said:Why do people assume that people buy a carbon stem for lightness?
Everyone I knows who goes for carbon stems, buys them because they are super stiff, in the full knowledge that they weigh more.
Who wants a light flexy aluminium stem anyway?
mickle said:FFs. Super stiff my arse. The difference in flex between your carbon stem and a lightweight aluminum one is simply too little to measure. But keep believing you can feel a difference if it helps you justify spending money on bling.