Can helmets make things worse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Studies and statistics can prove or disprove almost anything.

The way I look at it is would I rather fall (or be knocked)off the bike and bang my head on the curb with or without one?

AWG

Cycle helmets if I'm not mistaken, are designed with the cyclist falling off, or being knocked off, and the head hitting a kerb scenario. I think people may perceive they are just the same as a motorcycle helmet, which of course is inaccurate. Personally we always wear Dunlop cycle helmets with dial adjustment. They fit really well.

OP
OP
therams

therams

semislickstick said:
Maybe there should be a Helmet FAQ with various links to information so people can make there own mind up. It's going to keep coming up.

Yes I agree, that would be useful. Something with just links to facts, studies, research and the like.

The problem with the other "mass debate" threads is... they are just that. 10 pages of debate. Nobody is going to win the discussion, and its hard to pick out information due to people getting mad defending their opinions.

Most people just want information, they are intelligent enough to make there own decisions.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
garrilla said:

I'm 99% certain that helmet wearing in the pro-sport world is not evidence based but crafty mix of safety and marketing...

Most pro-sport is about marketing, that is where the money comes from, helmet are big business...

Banjo said:

The way I look at it is would I rather fall (or be knocked)off the bike and bang my head on the curb with or without one?

Yes, bother using an evidence based decision making, far easier to make up your mind in a state of ignorance.

I just avoid falling off, in over 40 years of cycling I have never hit my head...

Interesting comments on the subject from an email suggesting that modern style helmets are a problem in an accident....

Subject: streamlined helmet ejection

To: ASTM F08.53 Chairman: P. David Halstead

From: Hugh H. Hurt, Jr, Head Protection Research Laboratory

During the last couple of years, the technical staff at HPRL has encountered an interesting-and possibly dangerous-problem with the aerodynamic-shaped or streamlined bicycle helmets. These popular helmets have a teardrop design which tapers to a wedge at the rear of the helmet, supposedly reducing aerodynamic drag along with increased ventilation through the many openings in the shell.

The adverse effect of this aerodynamic shape is that the wedge at the back of the helmet tends to deflect and rotate the helmet on the head when impact occurs there. Any impact at the front or sides of the streamlined helmet is no different from other helmet shapes, but any impact on the rear wedge tends to rotate the helmet on the head, probably deflecting the helmet to expose the bare head to impact, and at worst ejecting the helmet completely from the head. Actually, everybody who has tested these streamlined helmets over the past years has encountered the problem of these helmets being displaced during impact testing at the rear wedge. Usually additional tape was required to maintain the helmet in place during rear impact tests; usually the basic retention system alone could not keep the helmet in place during impact testing on the rear of the helmet.

Unfortunately, the implication of helmet displacement and possible ejection in an actual accident impact did not register as a real hazard in previous years of testing, but now there are accident cases appearing that show this to be a genuine hazard for bicycle riders wearing these streamlined helmets. Accident impacts at the rear of these streamlined helmets can cause the helmet to rotate away and expose the head to injury, or eject the helmet completely. The forces generated from the wedge effect can stretch the chinstraps very easily, and even break the [occipital--Prof. Hurt used a trademarked name] retention devices.

We request that F08.53 committee study this problem and develop advisory information for both manufacturers of these streamlined helmets and consumer bicyclists who now own and wear such helmets. There is a definite hazard for displacement or ejection from impact on the rear wedge of these helmets, and bicyclists should be warned of this danger by an authority such as ASTM.

s/Hugh H. Hurt, Jr
Professor Emeritus-USC
President, Head Protection Research Laboratory

s/Christopher B. Swanson
Laboratory Manager, Head Protection Research Laboratory

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Banjo said:
Not a chiropractor, by any chance are you...? :biggrin:

If you genuinely want to make an informed decision, look at the studies, look at the work on them and their methodology, and rebuttals of their findings.

As I've said in posts passim, at the level of the individual, I'm not convinced that helmets do more harm than good. (Getting drivers to not risk compensate for the fact that I'm wearing a helmet is far more about road positioning and good communication, imo).

At a population level, and when we begin to talk about compulsion, I think the evidence is less in favour or helmet wearing overall - in terms of compulsion, I think the result would be a disaster for general health, active travel and for cycling as an activity.

Hairy Jock said:
I just avoid falling off, in over 40 years of cycling I have never hit my head...

It's a bit of a pointless statement to make. In 30 years of cycling I've fallen off many times. I hit my head once. It fractured. It really only needs to happen once.

Randochap

Senior hunter
The latest in cycling accessories?

dewalt-dw059.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8058771.stm

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Crackle said:
It's a bit of a pointless statement to make. In 30 years of cycling I've fallen off many times. I hit my head once. It fractured. It really only needs to happen once.

+1

You have been cycling for 40 years so you obviously have some sense :biggrin:, yet you say something that flippant and naive. If falling off was 100% in the hands of the cyclist and was 100% down to skill then great, only the clever and skilled would survive and problem would be over.

I am glad the decisions to wear a helmet or not directly affects no one but the cyclist themselves.

yenrod

therams said:
Without wanting to spark another mass debate.

How often do helmets make things worse?

I am not talking about comfort / coolness here. Just injuries.

For me if they improve safety 10% of the time but reduce it 9%, then I will take the 1% improvement any day.

How can a helmet make things worse - more like: you wear the helmet you have a crash' your head gets banged it saves your head !

EASY - thats what happened to me once.

yenrod said:
How can a helmet make things worse - more like: you wear the helmet you have a crash' your head gets banged it saves your head !

EASY - thats what happened to me once.

There are people who have v]=claimed withthe same vehemence as the "helmet saved my lifers" that they have had neck injuries caused by the helmet.

Anecdotal, but as valid and worthy of recognition

Cunobelin said:
There are people who have v]=claimed withthe same vehemence as the "helmet saved my lifers" that they have had neck injuries caused by the helmet.

Anecdotal, but as valid and worthy of recognition

No it's not, sorry but it's not. I'd take a neck injury over a head injury anytime.

Top Bottom