Brompton fall - new cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know what the canal path was like, but the Achilles heel of small-wheeled bikes is that, suspension or not, there are holes that can stop one dead.
I assume that you are thinking of holes not deep enough to cause problems to larger wheels?

I keep finding huge potholes that stop even my full-size wheels dead!

I've weighing up the whether to get a folding bike but decided it might be better the better option in terms of space of storage. I felt quite nervous cycling along the canal even on a sunny day - so I feel I might avoid that - my commute is 11 miles and have heard the Bromptons are that great for longer journeys.

I started using a Brompton about a year ago after using 26" wheeled bikes for about 25 years. They are a bit twitchy compared to a normal bike, and you have to be much more aware of thingy like kerbs and gratings, as I found to my cost in the middle of Freiburg 5 minutes after buying mine.

I'd certainly still use my "normal" bike for 11 miles every day, unless there's a really pressing reason to use a folder, like needing to catch a train in the middle of the ride;

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I started using a Brompton about a year ago after using 26" wheeled bikes for about 25 years. They are a bit twitchy compared to a normal bike, and you have to be much more aware of thingy like kerbs and gratings, as I found to my cost in the middle of Freiburg 5 minutes after buying mine.

I'd certainly still use my "normal" bike for 11 miles every day, unless there's a really pressing reason to use a folder, like needing to catch a train in the middle of the ride;

I don't think @alath will benefit from your wisdom. They were active on CC for less than one day over 4 years ago. They made 2 identical posts then buggered off, never to be seen again.

neilrichardson55

i tryed my brompton off road, FUN was the word lol must admit i dropped the tire pressure to about 60psi, which seemed to make it little more stable when it got bumpy. with high pressure you did dart and bounce about lol all part of the brommie fun

tyred

Legendary Member
I love my Brompton and have often ridden 60 or 80 miles a day on it, sometimes with touring luggage and have never been afraid to ride it on gravel paths.

When I did my Dumfries and Galloway tour this year, I took my Brompton in preference to my large-wheelers even though I didn't really need a folding bike. It carries luggage well, is relaxing to ride and I could fold it up and take it into my hotel rooms at night.

I consider them highly practical.

I'm not sure why some seem to suggest pumping the tyres up to 100psi though. They are 1 3/8" tyres, the same section size as a traditional roadster. Pressure doesn't need to be anywhere near that high.

They're small wheel so bumps stop the wheel easier than larger wheeled bikes. No way around that. A pothole I rode over in my 700 wheeled bike caused me to take a painful flyer when it could not avoid the hole. I had to take it but saw it too late to do anything.

Straightforward cut to the inner tube, dent in the racers, various scrapes to my hands, arms, chin, cheek and a broken elbow that stopped me riding for 7 weeks.

Not got a brompton bags because my commute favours a rucksack so no idea about load handling.

Twitchy when first ridden but it took me a week to feel as confident on it as my main road bike. In fact that was part of the reason for my accident. Overconfidence without experience to back it up. Too busy riding it like my larger wheeled bikes instead of paying more attention to the terrain being ridden. Less forgiving of bumps and potholes.

They are the best folding bikes though which is why I ride it, why I need it. Personally I'd prefer not to over normal bikes but I could not get by with a normal bike in my use case. I'd get turned away on the train too much. You compromise with it but it's a good compromise. Just be aware of the small wheel issues on order to ride appropriately and safely.

I love my Brompton and have often ridden 60 or 80 miles a day on it, sometimes with touring luggage and have never been afraid to ride it on gravel paths.

I like the Brompton, but the furthest I've ridden in one go was about 25k last week, and while I made it, I wouldn't want to do much more. I felt like I was fighting the gears to keep it moving. I think part of that is that I'm not used to a hub gear system and the resistance it brings.

For getting from trains or buses to my destination, it's brilliant, and gave me a lot more flexibility.

I'm not sure why some seem to suggest pumping the tyres up to 100psi though. They are 1 3/8" tyres, the same section size as a traditional roadster. Pressure doesn't need to be anywhere near that high.

I tend to pump to around 4 bar just to keep the rolling resistance down.

When I did my Dumfries and Galloway tour this year, I took my Brompton in preference to my large-wheelers even though I didn't really need a folding bike. It carries luggage well, is relaxing to ride and I could fold it up and take it into my hotel rooms at night.

I consider them highly practical.

Hmm... sooo... in that case, can I have your Dawes Galaxy?

neilrichardson55

if i do any off roading i find letting small amount of air out of tires and slowing down helps :smile: god thing a pump is on hand with the bike :smile: stony uneven with 100 psi is not good

tyred

Legendary Member
I like the Brompton, but the furthest I've ridden in one go was about 25k last week, and while I made it, I wouldn't want to do much more. I felt like I was fighting the gears to keep it moving. I think part of that is that I'm not used to a hub gear system and the resistance it brings.

For getting from trains or buses to my destination, it's brilliant, and gave me a lot more flexibility.

I tend to pump to around 4 bar just to keep the rolling resistance down.

Hmm... sooo... in that case, can I have your Dawes Galaxy?

I've covered thousands and thousands of miles on hub geared (and fixed wheel and single speed) bikes of various types and never found too many problems. I prefer hub gears actually.

About 4 bar would be fine. Anyone who pumps them up much more must only ride on billiard table smooth roads.

The Galaxy fills a different hole in my n+1!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
53.45 miles is the furthest distance on my B, not fallen off it yet. From Esztergom to Budapest if you’re interested.

I’d quite like to try a ride Galaxy one day.

Top Bottom