Best places you've ever cycled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Northwest Spain, edge of the Pyrenees.

Have they moved them, then?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: .... you doing any of the other climbs :smile:
Yes, the plan is to spend the week cycling around the area (staying in Allemont), then doing the route of the Marmotte so we hope to have climbed - Alpe d'huez, Glandon, Galibier, Telegraphe, Croix de fer, Madeleine, Les Deux Alpes. Then, just because we aren't so far away, we're going to travel south and have a crack at Ventoux as well.
This will all take place over 10 days, although we'll do the Marmotte route in one.
:bicycle:

OP
OP
openroad

openroad

Just like this I shot last July:

Wow that was great to watch :smile:Don't think I'd have the nerve!!

theloafer

Legendary Member
the col du galibier
Yes, the plan is to spend the week cycling around the area (staying in Allemont), then doing the route of the Marmotte so we hope to have climbed - Alpe d'huez, Glandon, Galibier, Telegraphe, Croix de fer, Madeleine, Les Deux Alpes. Then, just because we aren't so far away, we're going to travel south and have a crack at Ventoux as well.
This will all take place over 10 days, although we'll do the Marmotte route in one.
:bicycle:

sounds like a great trip was there back in 2009 stunning area (must get back there ) think the best day was from BRIANCON to MODANE we got to climb col du lautaret the col du galibier and the col du telegraphe in one day the hardest 57 miles I have ever done :heat: but never to be forgotten
all most at top of galibier
IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Wow that was great to watch :smile:Don't think I'd have the nerve!!

Most of it's not too bad, descending the northern slope of the Glandon is much harder, people have died doing it, s caution is warranted, however the southern side (in the vid) is relatively straight forward. The two sections you have to be careful on are just before the river dip, it's a 15-17% descent for a short stretch followed by a chicane (where I encountered the hedge trimmer). People do over cook that and go off into the stream...ouch!!
The other area is the last bit of the descent, whilst it's not too bendy it's 10% and you can get a real motor on there. I hit 50mph at a point and you just have to be careful not to ride the brakes or you might cook the rims, overheat the tyre and tube and suffer a blow out. This is a more common issue with carbon wheels and I did hear of one guy who did ride the bakes too much and delaminated the bonding adhesive on his carbon wheelset. Luckily for him it failed just as he got to the carpark at the bottom not whilst doing 50!!!

In practice almost everybody has a trouble free ride, so don't stress it too much.

Never cycled abroad, but as I have such beautiful sight's of South-East Northumberland and it's coast just 20 minutes ride from my home, I can't complain.
Also the Coast to Coast from Whitehaven to Tynemouth across the north Pennines and a lovely ride from Newcastle to Hawes and back , I believe I am spoilt for choices.

Top Bottom