Bank Account for Multiple Users??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
My son lives in a shared house and enjoys Supported Living in the Community. To date the care provider has run a household account which all clients contribute to and all household bills are paid from the account. The care provider will cease administering such accounts in April 2025.

The house clients do not have the capacity to manage their own finances. This will now fall on the families. Probably a positive move.

We're looking for suitable bank accounts. A joint account is one obvious solution but ideally an account shared by four account holders would be better.

I can't find such an account. Does anyone have experience of one?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Ask the bank

Exlaser2

Veteran
Looking from the outside, having a account that can be accessed by the all the separate family groups doesn’t seem a good idea. It’s fine everyone paying in but who controls the account ? Could be open to misuse. You would certain need controls to stop one person simply emptying the account .
I would contact Social services, the citizens advice service and any other support groups for people like yourself first, to try and find out what your options are.
Maybe also find out find out how bank accounts are organised for HMO and student houses . As they often run ‘ house bank accounts ‘ to pay bills and the landlord.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I knew this would come about eventually one of many reasons I stopped working in the field. I would suggest approaching a high profile organisation that supports the rights and well being of those in this environment perhaps.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The Co-op might be worth a shout. They do a lot of community based stuff. Depending on intellectual capacity of the individuals concerned and relative family members involvement in their day to day life it may be more advantageous approaching this as a group maybe. The Disability Act is big on self determination and financial independence as well so don't be fobbed off by corporate bull*hit.

When my Mother-in-Law dies my wife and her sister went to the NatWest and opened a bank account between them to administer it

It was something they were used to and the people in the branch had a contact in Head Office (or somewhere) that knew all about it

classic33

Leg End Member
1729174907828.png

https://www.finder.com/uk/current-a...iews-of-popular-accounts-for-3-or-more-people

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My son lives in a shared house and enjoys Supported Living in the Community. To date the care provider has run a household account which all clients contribute to and all household bills are paid from the account. The care provider will cease administering such accounts in April 2025.

The house clients do not have the capacity to manage their own finances. This will now fall on the families. Probably a positive move.

We're looking for suitable bank accounts. A joint account is one obvious solution but ideally an account shared by four account holders would be better.

I can't find such an account. Does anyone have experience of one?

I have done something similar for a relative (brother-in-law), who is a member of a large family (10 including him). However, there is no way, personally, that I would have accepted more than one person (me) being able to make withdrawals / pay bills. It would just be too difficult to keep track of (IMHO). I used TSB. Went to the branch, explained the problem, they were very helpful. I set this up about 15 years ago, and, stopped administering it about three years ago (caring responsibilities because of wife's health).

Sharky

Guru
What's the situation with all the services (gas, electric, water, TV, council tax, housing etc).

Unless they can bill each tennant separately, there has to be a single person nominated, who in turn bills each tennent. What happens if one tennent fails to pay or moves on? It could be quite messy for whoever takes on the role of finance for the house.

My daughter lives in a supported living house, but she is the only occupant. In our case, all the bills come to me and paid out of the account onto which her benefits are received.

For costs of food and entertainment, we use a GoHenry card, that her carers help her to use.

I can envisage that managing shared costs would be a nightmare.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Is there a local support organisation or Google organisations such as MECAP, as I'm sure you won't be the first or last with this issue.
The Legislation covering it will be the Mental Capacity Act which banks have to adhere to.
Good luck

If you are financially linked it also has a bearing on credit ratings. I personally wouldn’t want to share an account with someone who isn’t a spouse for many reasons.

Top Bottom