Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Where is this going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
And, of course, 99% of the information on the Internet is biased at best, simply wrong at worst.

Imagine if one of these programs stumbled across the Odd Factoids thread...

I'd love that. It'd break so much. Might have a play around with prompts using the thread later!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’ve used ‘AI’ (or Large Language Models, as Drago rightly points out) to generate content for lessons I give to my pupils. It’s very useful for creating large data sets for use in database teaching, rather than me trying to come up with lots of random examples myself.

I have found that it is not always correct. I had one pupil asking about representing decimal numbers (e.g. 123.45678) using binary and covered it in detail with her. To give her a different perspective, I suggested that we look at how AI would explain it, but the answers generated were wrong.

It’s useful - but you need to be able to spot errors in the results.
AI tools like chat GPT and copilot are great at producing plausible looking but completely wrong answers.

But very useful for rephrasing sentences. Especially when you've been writing something and have made repeated changes and ended up with a real dog's dinner.

AndyRM

XOXO
Chris Rea's real name is Chris Rear.

Sadly, as a young oboe player he couldn't afford the licence to use the letter 'r' twice in his stage name.

AI delivers...

output.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Three fingers and two thumbs!

Very useful in his early career on the trombone.

Here's a thought - we should start a "true facts about Chris Rea " thread, see how long it takes AI to pick up on it.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Über Member
It seems Degree students (probably others as well) are trying all sorts (including AI) in their work. My Daughter (whilst marking assignments for a University) has found the use of 'invisible ink'....... No, not the old method of using lemon juice to write! In their efforts to increase word count (as many assignments have set min/max word count criteria) some students add random words using white letters, thus rendering them invisible unless the person marking does some 'detective work' :ohmy:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It seems Degree students (probably others as well) are trying all sorts (including AI) in their work. My Daughter (whilst marking assignments for a University) has found the use of 'invisible ink'....... No, not the old method of using lemon juice to write! In their efforts to increase word count (as many assignments have set min/max word count criteria) some students add random words using white letters, thus rendering them invisible unless the person marking does some 'detective work' :ohmy:

Not AI but a word count story.

When I was a student we had an essay assignment set by Prof Smith (not her real name) with the instruction: Maximum 2000 words. No more will be read.

A friend told me "Mine's 2,006. The last 6 are 'Shirley Smith is an old bag' but it doesn't matter cos she ain't going to read that."

AndyRM

XOXO

That's not AI, or anything new. It's just stupidity and easily found out.

10% under or over is the generally accepted criteria when it comes to word count. Don't mess about with that.

Top Bottom