Appproach attitude - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Working with the TCV today, we were clearing weeds and overgrowth vegetation around a former station site on Marriot's Way in Norwich. It's a very popular shared pathway for cyclists, joggers, walkers with and without dogs and anyone taking a shortcut.
What we all noticed was that with the cyclists, although most went past us at a sensible speed for the circumstances; bearing in mind our work entailed us moving randomly around the site, there were a few who went past at speed, one nearly colliding with one of the volunteers. :eek:
What was particularly concerning though was that not one of the cyclists; fast or slow, gave any audible warning of their presence, either bell or vocal. They all appeared to assume that we knew they were there, even those of us with our backs to their approach. :dry:

Last edited:
Thats annoying.

On Sat (Rochdale Canal Ride) I passed a few different groups doing various things, slowed down and mutual greetings were exchanged, rides are much nicer especially off road ones where a little courtesy and interaction goes a long way.

Slick

Guru
Working with the TCV today, we were clearing weeds and overgrowth vegetation around a former station site on Marriot's Way in Norwich. It's a very popular shared pathway for cyclists, joggers, walkers with and without dogs and anyone taking a shortcut.
What we all noticed was that with the cyclists, although most went past us at a sensible speed for the circumstances; bearing in mind our work entailed us moving randomly around the site, there were a few who went past at speed, one nearly colliding with one of the volunteers. :eek:
What was particularly concerning though was that not one of the cyclists; fast or slow, gave any audible warning of their presence, either bell or vocal. They all appeared to assume that we knew they were there, even those of us with our backs to their approach. :dry:

Such is life, you get them in all walks of life, and anyone working with the public in general will be able to share loads of stories that would disappoint.

One thing though, I'm not sure I would have my back to any kind of oncoming traffic.

PK99

Legendary Member

Remind me, why do some people hate cyclists?

Usually on road bikes. These persons believe that they are entitled to do as they please

Punkawallah

Über Member
I stopped using a bell (which scared the shoot out of people) and went with ‘morning!’ or similar - seems to get a positive reaction.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can be completely unexpected when walking paths.
Has the recent craze for off-road racing bikes made it more common ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I think you have a H&S issue here. You need to think more like road repair gang, you should have formally closed the trail for 3 weeks and done the work in 4 hours on 2 separate Tuesdays.... :whistle:

albion

Guru
IME there's a level of confidence required to shout or ring a bell. Lots of peopleare too "British" to alert their presence, as they think it's rude

Exactly. You also have to monitor where they jump to after the bell ring. If space permits I often pass slowly and safely.
And horses all react differently too. I try a light bell ring from distance, sometimes then getting 'why did you not ring the bell'.

IME there's a level of confidence required to shout or ring a bell. Lots of peopleare too "British" to alert their presence, as they think it's rude

In that case don't ride a bike.

Some people react badly to my bell (it's a ringa-ding-ding type) and I am concious of that, on Saturdays ride I said sorry profusely to an older lady and another pushing a pram who both nearly jumped out their skin when I rang. So its not always that I might be perceived as being rude by myself that makes bell use a confidence issue, but more that I might accidently startle someone.

Exactly. You also have to monitor where they jump to after the bell ring. If space permits I often pass slowly and safely.
And horses all react differently too. I try a light bell ring from distance, sometimes then getting 'why did you not ring the bell'.

Someone once said to me horses react better to voices so I normally call out to horse riders rather than ring, I don't know how true that is.

Top Bottom