Appproach attitude - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think you have a H&S issue here. You need to think more like road repair gang, you should have formally closed the trail for 3 weeks and done the work in 4 hours on 2 separate Tuesdays.... :whistle:

Seriously, even if you didn't go through formal processes, then a bit of H&S style thinking wouldn't come amiss.

Maybe inform workers not to go onto the path without first checking that it's clear. Also common sense would suggest that if you're going to obstruct the path then some signage is in order. Those simple precautions should prevent workers from (nearly) colliding with users of the path.

Punkawallah

Über Member
A horse is typically a half ton accident waiting to happen. The only thing worse than one oncoming, is coming up behind one. Getting off and waiting is the usual tactic for me, or passing slowly in the opposite gutter.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Seriously, even if you didn't go through formal processes, then a bit of H&S style thinking wouldn't come amiss.

Maybe inform workers not to go onto the path without first checking that it's clear. Also common sense would suggest that if you're going to obstruct the path then some signage is in order. Those simple precautions should prevent workers from (nearly) colliding with users of the path.

yes \i was only half joking - some sort of "warning workers on path / cycles slow down" signage definitely in order, that's just common sense

presta

Guru
I was walking towpaths & railways around Liverpool & Manchester a while back, but I didn't really notice there was a difference until I got back home and walked the Beeching Memorial Path here in Essex. Then I realised that up north the cyclists were all ringing their bell and speaking, down here nobody does.

Some people react badly to my bell (it's a ringa-ding-ding type) and I am concious of that,
Indeed. My wife got assaulted by a middle aged man when cycling home a few years ago. On a shared path he and his partner were walking in the area marked for cycling so she dinged her bell to make them aware of her approach. He stepped in front, stopping her and forcibly pushed her to the ground. Despite video evidence, which was passed to the police, he was never found.

I use my bell sparingly, moderating my speed and position instead and staying aware.

Gillstay

Über Member
Some people react badly to my bell (it's a ringa-ding-ding type) and I am concious of that, on Saturdays ride I said sorry profusely to an older lady and another pushing a pram who both nearly jumped out their skin when I rang. So its not always that I might be perceived as being rude by myself that makes bell use a confidence issue, but more that I might accidently startle someone.

Someone once said to me horses react better to voices so I normally call out to horse riders rather than ring, I don't know how true that is.

Yes I asked the local horse riders and they say the horse is trying to work out what you are so if you talk t works it out sooner that your not a threat.

Top Bottom