Anybody going Meteor spotting tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Do we need to alert Bruce Willis?

(Armageddon)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was swimming in a chilly dark sea somewhere off the east coast of Vancouver Island tonight. There were a couple of good meteors but nothing that great. The phosphorescence in the water was fantastic. Who needs Space when you can enjoy Earth?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Too much cloud last night for meteors . Get the ISS App as it gives you realtime directions and elevation to where it should be. Works great.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I got a pic :unsure:

Meteor-1.jpg

:laugh:

madferret

Über Member
This was just the peak of it, its been going on some time, there are a number of smartphone apps (Meteor Shower Calendar is one) that show you where to look in the sky etc. In Anglesey last week with not as much light pollution as round where I live we saw about 5-10 a night and that was just looking up now and then. Also saw lots of different satellites, always amazes me to see such stuff, I wish they would turn off all the lights now and then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What does the ISS look like with the naked eye? I thought I saw a plane, as something was moving very quickly.

Its like a very bright star moving quite quickly across the sky. It takes 4 to 5 minutes to pass over from horizon to horizon. Visible even with street lights. Usually tracks west to east or south west to north east.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
What fossy said, I find it very cool but I'm a bit of a geek like that, its possibly the closest thing to a man on the moon I will get in my lifetime. Ive not been looking for the perseids yet.

Here is a handy twitter feed for the ISS and general astronomy, he tweet warnings when the ISS is approaching the UK,

https://twitter.com/VirtualAstro

he is a cyclist too ^_^

Top Bottom