Anybody going Meteor spotting tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We're back in the Perseids zone, and the weather says it's going to be largely clear over England tonight... might have a jaunt out with camera and tripod to see if a can see anything... anybody else?

djb1971

Legendary Member
I'll take a look. I was out late last night, early morning on the bike but it was cloudy. The sky looks a bit mixed here so it'll. probably cloud over again!

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

the general direction is north north east... eminating from the general direction of the constellation of Perseus, a bit left of the Square of Pagasus, down a bit from Caseopea, up a bit lot from the horizon...

Perseus_constellation.jpg

yes you should see them with the naked eye providing it's clear, and you're away from any significant light pollution.

classic33

Leg End Member
What time does it start?

Night Train

Maker of Things
The last time I tried to look for the Perseids I lay on the roof of the house and saw nothing of interest due to the light pollution.

If I was out somewhere dark I would happily lay down and watch.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

What time does it start?
when it's dark enough i guess.

The last time i went out on 'the' night when all was clear, got somewhere completely free of the city lights and I still didn't see any. In fact the only time I've seen them is the night after the total eclipse in '99 when it was close to the predicted 60 per hour... beautiful.

colly

Re member eR
You're all messing with things you don't understand.:stop:

mutter mutter.......will all end in tears...........best left alone..........

colly

Re member eR
On the other hand...................the skies are clearing..................might get a good view.:smile::thumbsup:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Your all messing with things you don't understand.:stop:

mutter mutter.......will all end in tears...........best left alone..........
it's ok as long as you don't look directly at one... if you do, you have to break the magic curse by catching the next one, putting in your pocket and saving it for a rainy day... although details beyond that are sketchy.

Top Bottom