Any saxophonists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've played sax for years - mainly alto, dabbled in others.

It's a fab instrument and as others have said really varied. I got into it because of Clarence Clemons (RIP) who could make the thing do just about anything. It can go from being the tamest, gentlest sounding instrument in the world to a wild beast just like that, which you can say of a lot of instruments but I've always felt it most with a sax.

Definitely hire one first, but I'd invest in your own mouthpiece - you can get one for around a tenner, though if you enjoy playing you can spend a lot more. And get decent reeds too - D'Addario or Rico.

Finally, a padded neck-strap - I felt like I was getting decapitated by the first one I had before realising such a luxury existed.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've played sax for years - mainly alto, dabbled in others.

It's a fab instrument and as others have said really varied. I got into it because of Clarence Clemons (RIP) who could make the thing do just about anything. It can go from being the tamest, gentlest sounding instrument in the world to a wild beast just like that, which you can say of a lot of instruments but I've always felt it most with a sax.

Definitely hire one first, but I'd invest in your own mouthpiece - you can get one for around a tenner, though if you enjoy playing you can spend a lot more. And get decent reeds too - D'Addario or Rico.

Finally, a padded neck-strap - I felt like I was getting decapitated by the first one I had before realising such a luxury existed.

Looks like they may cost more than that, not that it’s a major issue :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of thoughts, most of which you likely know. The difficulty with brass instraments, like your old trumpet, or my horn, is pitching the note, as it's mostly with your lips. With a reeded wind instrument, it's far more just blowing and press the right keys. My old lodger's got a sax, he was at a similar stage to you in that he just decided to start playing, and bought one and got some lessons. Based on a couple of blows on his, you can just get a note and quickly play a scale. Even for my first go it actually sounds OK, unlike brass, never mind a violin. Not to say it's easy to play well, but I strongly suspect it's a lot easier to get to an "OK" stage, than many other insteuments.

My other thought is that if you can afford it, there's a lot to be said for a pro instrument. My own french horn is a professional grade instrument, I think the same as is favoured by the horn section of the Berlin Phil and many others, including the professional Czech musician who previously owned mine. OK it's 20 years old but for £2k I got a horn that would be £8k new. Granted progress has been limited but it's vastly better than my old student grade instrument. If I do totally give up I can easily get my £2k back, so it is an asset rather than money gone so to speak. I would imagine the same would apply for a sax

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Couple of thoughts, most of which you likely know. The difficulty with brass instraments, like your old trumpet, or my horn, is pitching the note, as it's mostly with your lips. With a reeded wind instrument, it's far more just blowing and press the right keys. My old lodger's got a sax, he was at a similar stage to you in that he just decided to start playing, and bought one and got some lessons. Based on a couple of blows on his, you can just get a note and quickly play a scale. Even for my first go it actually sounds OK, unlike brass, never mind a violin. Not to say it's easy to play well, but I strongly suspect it's a lot easier to get to an "OK" stage, than many other insteuments.

My other thought is that if you can afford it, there's a lot to be said for a pro instrument. My own french horn is a professional grade instrument, I think the same as is favoured by the horn section of the Berlin Phil and many others, including the professional Czech musician who previously owned mine. OK it's 20 years old but for £2k I got a horn that would be £8k new. Granted progress has been limited but it's vastly better than my old student grade instrument. If I do totally give up I can easily get my £2k back, so it is an asset rather than money gone so to speak. I would imagine the same would apply for a sax

I think my trumpet issues as a teen were more down to family member objections but also laziness and too much schoolwork. Clearly that doesn’t now apply 35 years on!
I’m going to rent first, not planning on buying a pro grade or otherwise instrument at this point!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think my trumpet issues as a teen were more down to family member objections but also laziness and too much schoolwork. Clearly that doesn’t now apply 35 years on!
I’m going to rent first, not planning on buying a pro grade or otherwise instrument at this point!

I must confess my lack of practice has certainly impeded my own progress. Lack of talent didn't help either.

To be fair I did usually manage an hour most days back then. It was galling that my oppo in the school orchestra could just turn up and effortlessly sight read a part that I'd had to work on. He was a perfectly nice bloke, but just had a lot more flair than me. I did later join an amateur band, and though significantly the weakest of our three horn players, managed fine on the Mozart, Haydn, early Schubert type reportoire we mostly played. There were worse players than me in other sections

AndyRM

XOXO
That's very true! When you start messing about with sharps and flats on a sax it can get fiddly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Although with a brass instrument you've only got 3 fingers to worry about

Ahem, 4 for most French horns, though the extra valve makes it a lot easier on the higher notes, and when I bought mine I seriously considered a five valve one, but it was twice as expensive as it was almost brand new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom