Any long term TPU tube users on here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

I agree about the feel of the Latex tubes, but unfortunately they are still prone to getting punctures.
I first went tubeless probably ten years ago on the road bike and yes, setting up was a right faff. I covered round 6000 trouble free miles but after a catastrophic sidewall failure which l couldn't repair by the side of the road due to be covered in sealant was enough for me and so went back to tubes.
Fast forward to the start of the year, lve gone back to tubeless and setting it up was a really easy in comparison to years ago (l'm excluding the recent experience with the GP5000 tyres!)

Got myself Specialized Roubaix (the tyre not bike) and fitting was dead easy! I'm holding off for the front wheel as it rarely punctures. Will see how I feel in a few months!

srshultz

I have been experimenting with several different Chinese TPU tubes. No success with Ridenow. Tried 2 tubes. One had 3 pinholes out of the box. The other started leaking from the stem after 2, 35 mile rides. One other off brand leaked at the stem base immediately. The good news is the Heasygo green tube. More substantial materials and after several rides, no issues. Hope this helps.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Any more recent experience? I've had a couple of guys say how they love them. I believe RideNow have changed the valve attachment. There are also lots of fakes out there (apparently) if you buy cheap off AliExpress.

srshultz

I’d like to update my evaluation of tpu tubes. My previous post was not very positive but I have made some changes and am now very positive on them. Firstly, I put new rim tape on the rims and added a puncture resistant tape/ribbon between the inside of the tire and the tube. Next I installed the tube properly and inflated them to 93 lbs. (Best pressure for minimal rolling resistance based on my weight). Since implementing this setup, I have had no issues whatsoever. I have ridden over 1000 miles on rural farm to market Texas roads which are anything but smooth. The Ridenow tubes lose about 3 lbs of pressure a day. Not bad.
I also enjoy the noticeably quicker acceleration due to the weight reduction. All in all, two thumbs up.

srshultz

The next time I am having a run of good luck, I should keep my mouth shut. I posted the above comments about my tpu tube experience yesterday after completing a 45 mile ride and storing my bike. Today I started cleaning and lubing it and discovered the rear tire was flat.
The tube had a small pinhole on the inside. It was patched and reinstalled. Hopefully it will still be up when I hit my 50 miler tomorrow.

I've got them on two bikes. One bike no issues and it hold pressure really well.

Second bike I've had two flats that were slow punctures. Everything seemed fine so was a bit stumped.

After the second flat I did the bathtub thing with a small amount of air in (don't make the mistake o made in looking for the issue in the first tube by giving it a track pump amount of air....)

Found a tiny pinhole in it which helped me locate the area of tyre I should be looking at.
Eventually found a strand of wire just about poking through the tyre. Maybe 0.5mm. Got that out with tweezers and it seems fine now.

Anyone any luck repairing TPU tubes ?

srshultz

My luck on patching is poor. Tried patching 3 tpu tubes with no success. Recommended procedure is wipe the area with alcohol place a tpu patch over the hole and press. Reinstall and go. Nope! Not one patch has held for more than a few hours. ???

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have been using Ali Express ones for a few months. I like them albeit they go down a little quicker than butyl but not as quick as latex. They are light which rotationally is more important than overall and cost a lot less than buying a 200 gram lighter wheel set.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have been using Ali Express ones for a few months. I like them albeit they go down a little quicker than butyl but not as quick as latex. They are light which rotationally is more important than overall and cost a lot less than buying a 200 gram lighter wheel set.

Which brand?

I've just ordered some RideNow tubes off eBay - should be the newer version with alu valves.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I was in Surrey this weekend for a race - and unfortunately punctured midway through it - got taken back to HQ in the Broom Wagon. Anyway, that gave me a reason to put my new TPU tubes in and give them a try.

I put them on yesterday and went for a training ride. Usually I am very insensitive to changes and don't notice a difference. However, the bike felt so much smoother and faster (no idea if it actually is faster) with the new tubes in.

No issues so far and pressure feels the same this morning. I'll report back later but first impressions are excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom