Another thread of Trains & Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, I plan to catch the train from Liverpool street to Ipswich with the bike, has anyone got recent experience of this? Usually I have no problems and do lots of trains with bikes, usually you just sit with it in the disabled spot next to the smelly toilet. The only reason i ask about this service, is that you need to book a space for it and i wasn't sure if it goes in a specific guards carriage or not. Their website is helpful up to a point, just not with this bit. Thanks

PS, if anyone has any nice routes or spots between Ipswich and Southwold, that would be good, thanks,

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I don't think they have a specific guards carriage on passenger trains anymore. I think that was done away with years ago, your bike will go in the bike spaces.

richardfm

Veteran
Your challenge will be finding which carriage has the cycle spaces. Some train companies show the make-up of the train on the indicator boards on the platforms, but not all.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've used this service six times outside rush hour and the only problem I've had has been getting me and my bike from the Elizabeth Line, or street level, to platform level. There is a lift but it's small and in high demand. Allow time!

I've not booked a bike space and have not had a problem.

Edit: Greater Anglia is one of the better companies indicating the bike spaces clearly on their trains and dedicating enough space for six bikes.

Dag Hammar

I live on the Greater Anglia line ( not literally, I do have a house ) and it is Greater Anglia that operate the Liverpool Street to Norwich line which passes through Ipswich. I have used the train several times on their coastal lines, i.e. Clacton on Sea, Walton on the Naze and also from Harwich. The Harwich train involves a change at Manningtree to get onto the main line.
I have found that when looking at the trains from Liverpool Street to Norwich and vice versa there is more often than not a requirement to book a space for your bike. Their trains have a carriage which is clearly marked by a green bicycle symbol on the outside. There is space for only six cycles, placed three each side of the gangway.
I have, on two or three occasions took a chance and just boarded the train with my bike and have never yet come unstuck.
I have to say that in the many times I’ve used Greater Anglia there was only one occasion when my train was late arriving at my start point and to be fair it was only about six or seven minutes so I give G A a thumbs up for punctuality.
With regard to your last question, if you are starting from Ipswich then Woodbridge is a delightful place to visit and if you wanted to shorten your journey to Southwold by a few miles you could change trains at Ipswich and get on one to Woodbridge. To be honest the only thing worth seeing in Ipswich is the waterfront so you would not miss anything by beginning your expedition from Woodbridge Station. The station where you would disembark is right by the water and the views are superb. The little town has plenty of cafes if you’re ready to eat.
Moving north you could take in Orford then Snape ( Snape Maltings ). There’s another lovely place called Walberswick close to Southwold and there is a ferry boat across from Walberswick to Southwold but I don’t know if you can take a bike on there.
Apologies for the lengthy spiel but I do so love that part of Suffolk and I’ve got carried away by my enthusiasm.
Enjoy your time in that region and if you have the time and inclination do let us know how you got on.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hi there, I plan to catch the train from Liverpool street to Ipswich with the bike, has anyone got recent experience of this? Usually I have nd some no problems and do lots of trains with bikes, usually you just sit with it in the disabled spot next to the smelly toilet. The only reason i ask about this service, is that you need to book a space for it and i wasn't sure if it goes in a specific guards carriage or not. Their website is helpful up to a point, just not with this bit. Thanks

PS, if anyone has any nice routes or spots between Ipswich and Southwold, that would be good, thanks,

If you're getting the 'Intercity' service from Liverpool Street to Norwich, then Greater Anglia's booking system gives you the option of a cycle reservation at the time of booking - you will need to collect paper tickets from the machines at the station. Cycles are carried in coach 'D' near the rear for the train (A & B are first class, C is accessible) and are also marked with a green stripe by the door and some have a bigger clue as to where to go. Plenty of space for 3 bikes each side - the only problem is some people seem to think these are additional luggage/pram/seating areas. This is from last week heading home from Norwich to Ipswich.
Ready to leave Norwich.jpg

There is also the Liverpool Street - Ipswich stopping service which uses a different class of train which I've not used and has a reduced bike carrying capacity.
As for places to visit, could I add in a diversion to Aldeburgh & Thorpeness to @Dag Hammar 's recommendations and endorse his idea of getting the local train from Ipswich to Woodbridge as you're not missing anything on the road between the two.

Edited to add that I've never had a cycle reservation checked and frequently do the short hop from Diss or Stowmarket to Ipswich on this line without one, but it may be different if you travel at peak hours.

Last edited:

blackrat

Jenkins; What happens if another bike gets packed on top of yours, I can see you'd have to wrestle the interloper off when accessing yours - any issues with that?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Jenkins; What happens if another bike gets packed on top of yours, I can see you'd have to wrestle the interloper off when accessing yours - any issues with that?

Never been a problem - normally the other owners are sat within the same carriage and see you moving and get up and move their bikes for you. If not you just move the other bikes to the other side of the carriage, move your bike to the doorway and put the others back. Also, if like in my pic above where I was the first one in place, if others get on with bikes, I'll ask where they're travelling to and offer them the inside place if I'm getting off first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I've used this service six times outside rush hour and the only problem I've had has been getting me and my bike from the Elizabeth Line, or street level, to platform level. There is a lift but it's small and in high demand. Allow time!

I've not booked a bike space and have not had a problem.

Edit: Greater Anglia is one of the better companies indicating the bike spaces clearly on their trains and dedicating enough space for six bikes.

morning. ah right, yes i was wondering how best to get down to platform level. Yes the carriages have a green stripe above the doors i think their website said.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I live on the Greater Anglia line ( not literally, I do have a house ) and it is Greater Anglia that operate the Liverpool Street to Norwich line which passes through Ipswich. I have used the train several times on their coastal lines, i.e. Clacton on Sea, Walton on the Naze and also from Harwich. The Harwich train involves a change at Manningtree to get onto the main line.
I have found that when looking at the trains from Liverpool Street to Norwich and vice versa there is more often than not a requirement to book a space for your bike. Their trains have a carriage which is clearly marked by a green bicycle symbol on the outside. There is space for only six cycles, placed three each side of the gangway.
I have, on two or three occasions took a chance and just boarded the train with my bike and have never yet come unstuck.
I have to say that in the many times I’ve used Greater Anglia there was only one occasion when my train was late arriving at my start point and to be fair it was only about six or seven minutes so I give G A a thumbs up for punctuality.
With regard to your last question, if you are starting from Ipswich then Woodbridge is a delightful place to visit and if you wanted to shorten your journey to Southwold by a few miles you could change trains at Ipswich and get on one to Woodbridge. To be honest the only thing worth seeing in Ipswich is the waterfront so you would not miss anything by beginning your expedition from Woodbridge Station. The station where you would disembark is right by the water and the views are superb. The little town has plenty of cafes if you’re ready to eat.
Moving north you could take in Orford then Snape ( Snape Maltings ). There’s another lovely place called Walberswick close to Southwold and there is a ferry boat across from Walberswick to Southwold but I don’t know if you can take a bike on there.
Apologies for the lengthy spiel but I do so love that part of Suffolk and I’ve got carried away by my enthusiasm.
Enjoy your time in that region and if you have the time and inclination do let us know how you got on.

hi there,thanks for taking time to write, it is very helpful. I was getting excited that maybe you lived in a carriage on the tracks, but you do say you live in a house, oh well - lol. So the trains sound very similar to the others from Whitestable, cambridge, portsmouth etc. it was just the website saying i had to book the bike which threw me. one of the trains from oxford, ince they only had space to hang the bike by your front wheel.

The only reason for getting off at Ipswich is to save time and not have to wait for a connection, but maybe if i time the train right, it may work out. Thanks for the other places, good to have local knowledge. I was planning to go to Walberswick and take the little footbridge further up. I had done a loop from there some years back while on holiday.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
If you're getting the 'Intercity' service from Liverpool Street to Norwich, then Greater Anglia's booking system gives you the option of a cycle reservation at the time of booking - you will need to collect paper tickets from the machines at the station. Cycles are carried in coach 'D' near the rear for the train (A & B are first class, C is accessible) and are also marked with a green stripe by the door and some have a bigger clue as to where to go. Plenty of space for 3 bikes each side - the only problem is some people seem to think these are additional luggage/pram/seating areas. This is from last week heading home from Norwich to Ipswich.
View attachment 740093
There is also the Liverpool Street - Ipswich stopping service which uses a different class of train which I've not used and has a reduced bike carrying capacity.
As for places to visit, could I add in a diversion to Aldeburgh & Thorpeness to @Dag Hammar 's recommendations and endorse his idea of getting the local train from Ipswich to Woodbridge as you're not missing anything on the road between the two.

Edited to add that I've never had a cycle reservation checked and frequently do the short hop from Diss or Stowmarket to Ipswich on this line without one, but it may be different if you travel at peak hours.

perfect (hit the computer power button so i lost original written message lol). the only reason for getting off at Ipswich was to save waiting for the connection. I'm guessing the roads are ok to cycle around here? There seem to be less back roads to choose from.

I had wanted to get down to Orford but i dont think i can get on to the old military island with my bike.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Never been a problem - normally the other owners are sat within the same carriage and see you moving and get up and move their bikes for you. If not you just move the other bikes to the other side of the carriage, move your bike to the doorway and put the others back. Also, if like in my pic above where I was the first one in place, if others get on with bikes, I'll ask where they're travelling to and offer them the inside place if I'm getting off first.

ive never had a problem either if my bike is the first one on. I usually move my bike and let them go in first so not to get mine damaged as they are usually heavier style bikes

Jenkins

Legendary Member
perfect (hit the computer power button so i lost original written message lol). the only reason for getting off at Ipswich was to save waiting for the connection. I'm guessing the roads are ok to cycle around here? There seem to be less back roads to choose from.

I had wanted to get down to Orford but i dont think i can get on to the old military island with my bike.

I've not been there, but I think that the old military site at Orford is off limits for general access and is limited to pre-booked tours by foot only - you'd need to check this. As far as the roads go, they're mostly OK - narrow single carriageway B or C/unclassified with badly worn surface dressing topping with the main problem being sand covering the damaged edges on the really rural back road bits.
As for the train connections, if you get the Intercity service that leaves Liverpool Street on the hour, this arrives in Ipswich at about 5 past the next hour and the East Suffolk line train for Lowestoft leaves at quarter past giving you 10 minutes which is plenty of time to get your bike over the bridge from platform 3 to platform 1 (there is a lift).

Dag Hammar

Hello again Simon, thank you for your response to my post.
This may influence your planning or not, depending on when you wanted to make the journey. I put in a “test purchase” on the Greater Anglia website and discovered that next week the service from Ipswich to Woodbridge has a replacement service by bus which is unusable with a cycle.
If however you planned to travel at a later date and things are back to normal, the time lapse / connection time when getting off at Ipswich and then catching the train to Woodbridge is only six minutes so that is a quick change. You could not cycle to Woodbridge in six minutes.
You could take a belt and braces approach : buy a ticket all the way to Woodbridge and use it if you choose to or abandon that idea if bus replacement forces your hand ( or you change your mind ). The price difference is only about £1.30 and in my opinion that’s a small price to pay to allow you flexibility.

Separately, I would recommend the website cycle.travel if you have not already experienced it. It will plot a route for you showing the quieter roads. It is a website that I find very useful.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You used to be able to get from street level to platform level down a ramp from Sun Street or Pindar Street, northwest of the station. I don't know if it's still open since the last building works.

Bicycles on escalators are fun anyway, but Liv St isn't the best place to practice.

Top Bottom