A ride posted by an old club mate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
This ride was done non stop over the weekend by an old club mate, I think you need a super Kudos button for this, don't know why it says second longest ride as he said its his longest, maybe his longest continuous ride.
Screenshot_20240729_162546_Strava.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
He didn't stop to sleep? Wow that's some going!!

I did 260 miles / 400k once in 24 hrs and I was goosed!!

blackrat

15 MPH average time is exceptional for such a distance. It was relatively flat though at 24 feet average rise per mile, so it would have helped. Even so, quite remarkable.
Similar to James, my Audax 400K (254 miles) was done in 20 hours, so around 13 MPH. No where near the 'old club mate's' 15. And non-stop! :ohmy:

gbb

Squire
Extraordinary. I'm guessing he does distance regularly. My longest was over 80 miles at an average of around 15 mph and tbh, it put me off doing long rides , 50 miles is a breeze at that pace...34 hours of it, staggering.
Complete respect.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I may not know much about long distance cycling (I'm a 20-40 miles chap), but surely riding for 34 hours without sleep on public roads is just plain stupid, you are a a danger to yourself and more importantly to other road users when you are that sleep deprived.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Extraordinary. I'm guessing he does distance regularly.
I have seen a couple of long rides from him but nothing on this scale, he was in the alps earlier this month, it must have spurred him on, he is much more of a climber than this ride suggests.

Reactions: gbb

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Just aswell he didn’t stop in the Lowestoft, Norwich area. Unless he did have locking wheel nuts……..

***Superhuman effort. Literally unbelievable. On a physical and mental level. Kudos !

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
He didn't stop to sleep? Wow that's some going!!

It’s fine for one night. You might get the doozies a couple of hours before sunrise. But a 20 to 40 min kip in a bus shelter will restore alertness. Once the sun returns the doozies go away. Sleep deprivation only kicks in if you do it multiple nights or you’re already sleep deprived before you start.

blackrat

It’s fine for one night. You might get the doozies a couple of hours before sunrise. But a 20 to 40 min kip in a bus shelter will restore alertness. Once the sun returns the doozies go away. Sleep deprivation only kicks in if you do it multiple nights or you’re already sleep deprived before you start.

A couple of years ago on the annual cycle races I stage, the winner of the 515 mile race won it in 25 hours 47 minutes.
The 14 mile circuit course was flat and he had his wife crewing for him at the pit stop. But, even so....
Some riders exist on a far different and higher plateau than most of us.

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It said non-stop

blackrat

He said he did stop for toilet and food.

It also showed 34 hours 34 minutes as 'moving time', he could also have taken naps along the way. The chart does not claim the rider to have completed the 520 miles in that time. He may have taken days. :becool:

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom