A couple of kitchen questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As already stated, Granite is a job for the professionals, gluing the mitre joints and cutting cut outs for hobs etc.Normally you have an undermount or a butler sink.

Edit, The draining board are also generally machined in to the tops which makes granite tops look great from my angle.

I didn't bother with the draining board slots for my granite. The point of a draining board is so water doesn't damage a laminate or wood top. Granite is utterly waterproof so doesn't need protecting. Admittedly water then pools up a bit but you have the flexibility of extra worktop or dish rack according to needs. And saves a couple of hundred quid.of slot cutting on a bill which is already quite enough thank you.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Why is granite easier to clean than laminate? That doesn't make much sense to me.

well for a start it's very smooth shiny surface so muck wipes off easier, totally waterproof and (virtually) indistructable to you can mop it down or scrub with worrying about damage or dampness getting into the core.

It doesn't go manky is also a practical benefit.

It's unforgiving if you drop a cup or glass though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ah right. I've never a problem with manky laminate worktops, but then I don't go swilling gallons of water about the place I suppose.

I guess the manky worktops were places I moved into rather caused myself - and perhaps badly done in the firstplace. The previous kitchen we had done I always regretted not having granite (cost grounds - was part of big project so had to be tight on everything). This new place I paid the dosh - but economised elsewhere by re-using old cupboards etc and not going to a bullshit kitchen shop. I guess it cost an extra grand - as the rest of the job still had to be paid for.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
You can also chop things on granite without the need for a chopping board (which will go manky over time) or damaging the surface (as would happen with laminate).

Wouldn't using a granite surface without a chopping board damage your knives? It must blunt them.

{edit} looks like we all had the same idea. :hello:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Anyway, as I point out upthread, we don't have granite work surfaces in our current house. We have laminate - so I use a chopping board. Depending on what
is being cut, I use a bamboo, glass or stainless steel. Not plastic or wood.

I think we need to send someone round to confiscate your knives and give you some crap ones to use till you mend your ways

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm a gas hob person, and when we moved into our current house we only had electric so it was soon changed (well 6 months of on/off temperature control), to gas. We are going to have a new kitchen installed at some point in the future but we will just fit the hob in that. No idea on the surface front. A friend has either Corian (?sp) or an equivalent and it looks very nice.

JMAG

Über Member
Induction hobs are more controllable than ceramic hobs, but are typically more expensive and may require a higher rated electricity supply. "Electric" hobs can be induction, ceramic or plain old hot-plate so you can't write off all electric hobs if you've only used a slower type. That said, gas on glass hobs are very popular as they look a bit sleeker than your average gas hob and are easier to keep clean. They're not much dearer these days either.

Worktops. Granite and Quartz are similarly low maintenance and heat/stain resistant (granite is arguably better when it comes to stains), but Quartz offers a wider choice of colours and should be cheaper. A good alternative are surfaces that are half way between laminate and quartz. These have a thin layer of quartz over a core material (wood, chipboard or other material) and can be cut and fitted on site like laminate by a competent or experienced fitter with the right tools. The quartz layer is approximately 6 - 8mm thick and has the advantage of shorter lead-times (off the shelf and no templating or pre-fabricating) and lower cost.

I'm in the kitchen industry (25 years) so won't mention any brands although I'm not tied to any manufacturers.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Gas hob and leccy oven here..

as said pro fit on granite..very heavy and if they fook up its theres to correct..
you may change your mind after pricing..my sisters granite tops cost nearly 3k but she just spent 40k on the extension so what the hell...me I'd have wood laminate at 1000 ish and a new bike..lol

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I find halogen hobs to be a bit of a pain compared to gas, much harder to control. Also, even though they have a smooth top, once stuff gets baked onto it, it's really hard to remove, even with the paint scraper thingy that they supply. I've heard good reports of induction hobs. I'm happy with an electric fan oven. I don't go for the "cemetery aesthetic" of granite.
BTW, get one of these and chop away to your heart's content...

Anysharp.jpg

Top Bottom