A couple of kitchen questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Well after a lot of research I have given up on trying to find a good quality freestanding cooker - I`ve come to the conclusion that they no longer exist. If you want flimsy/mickey mouse build then you are laughing :evil:

I`ve decided now to go down the built in route which gives much more choice and I can then buy Bosch/Miele etc and know that I have something of a decent quality. My main problem here is that I am going to have to replace my worktops (which are only 3 years old grrr!), and I`m fancying going for granite ones. Anybody got any experience of these? What are they like to fit etc?

My next question is what type of hob to go for. I`m all electric at the moment and don`t know whether to keep it that way, or to fit a gas one which means having a gas supply run from the boiler at the other end of the kitchen. Would it be worth the extra work? What are your opinions guys? I`m stuck!

SD1

Well after a lot of research I have given up on trying to find a good quality freestanding cooker - I`ve come to the conclusion that they no longer exist. If you want flimsy/mickey mouse build then you are laughing :evil:

I`ve decided now to go down the built in route which gives much more choice and I can then buy Bosch/Miele etc and know that I have something of a decent quality. My main problem here is that I am going to have to replace my worktops (which are only 3 years old grrr!), and I`m fancying going for granite ones. Anybody got any experience of these? What are they like to fit etc?

My next question is what type of hob to go for. I`m all electric at the moment and don`t know whether to keep it that way, or to fit a gas one which means having a gas supply run from the boiler at the other end of the kitchen. Would it be worth the extra work? What are your opinions guys? I`m stuck!

Assuming a reliable source of electric then I would leave it at electric. But do remember that a large bottle of LPG would last a family about a year if you do a reasonable amount of cooking. A lot longer if you don't. Farmers leave bottles of gas laying round in fields all the time. So an even cheaper form fuel!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I would think that granite worktops are a professional job rather than DIY, especially if you have corners to mitre etc.
Plus, if they cock it up, it'll be down to them to pay for it!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I bought a.Falcon freestanding cooker and am very pleased with it. although it isn't beyond criticism, nor cheap it was worth the money. On mine the cooker bit is lecci and the hob is gas. They do lpg version ans inductionhob too. New maybe £3k - SH £1500. Mine was a discontinued model for £2k.

I had grantite tops too - really superb. Mine were installed by a (very good) builder at fairly reasonable cost - much less than buying from a "granite company" with all their sales overhead and BS.

Just to out the above in perspective - the cupboards are ikea cheapies - but I splashed the cash on the granite and cooker which I really enjoy using.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I always preferred gas for cooking as it's more controllable.
For the last 15 years I've had electric and I love my halogen hob!
I can't comment on the granite but I imagine that properly installed it would be stunning!

We have a fairly basic electric halogen hob. I love the way it fits in smooth to the worktop and it also can be used as a worktop when not cooking. I really don't fancy the gas hobs now with all the rather old style chunks of metal on top to get dirty.

Re the top. I don't fancy granite as it is rather cold and hard. Not at all inviting. Also it lasts too well and cannot be changed or updated. Kitchen style and looks go in and out of fashion and move on, what if you want to fit a new thing on the worktop in 5 years time? Better to get a standard top to change as needed and replace it in 10-15 years.

If you're used to electric, then an induction hob is a good, precise form of cooking. Some people like flames licking up the sides of a wok though, and the 'feel' of turning gas up and down is instinctive to most...but induction is fast and gives very good control. (Unlike my installed hob which is clockwork electric and rubbish radiant plates...uncontrollable in extremis!).
@threebikesmcginty is the man to endorse granite! I like quartz - particularly the square edge finish, and a lot of the places I go seem to be stone, stone and more stone!, There are polished concrete alternatives which look fantastic too - manufactured to your specification - like Corian (which used to be about the same £ as granite...not sure these days). Been a while since I last installed one - there must be a plethora of smart, functional ideas out there. Good luck!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We had various houses with an electric hob, bloody awful! Gas is great.

Granite- How much natural light is in your kitchen? It might look a bit heavy and foreboding......

sight-pin

Veteran
As already stated, Granite is a job for the professionals, gluing the mitre joints and cutting cut outs for hobs etc.Normally you have an undermount or a butler sink.

Edit, The draining board are also generally machined in to the tops which makes granite tops look great from my angle.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No idea on granite tops, we're not that posh round here. But, fitted an induction hob a few months back and really impressed with it. Instant heat, efficient and really easy to keep clean. Suitable cookware is a bit more limited but adequate for all except perhaps the pro's.

Top Bottom