Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon in Sweden

Had a belter of a return commute today. I wasn't feeling fresh (400km in the last 6 days with a lot of high effort segments/rides) but with a gentle tailwind, I managed to clock my fastest ever return commute as well as my highest ever power for a full ride:

35.9kph average
364w average
27.5km

On a 531 framed Mercian Audax bike, full mudguards, pannier rack and double pannier bags.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11345691914

I've had a really excellent 5-6 weeks of training after a very consistent winter and have come into spring a lot quicker and more powerful than I was last year. Even when I'm feeling quite tired, I'm still somehow able to push hard, which is suprising given that I turn 40 this year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just spotted a post on Twitter (X) about tacks having been thrown on the Fallowfield Loop near Kingsway and Fallowfield. Be aware locals.

I'm on holiday this week.

Alex321

Veteran
Forecast said mist this morning, but I would definitely call it fog when I set out, though it did clear a lot during the ride.

But quite a pleasant ride in, with virtually no wind, dry, and temperature around 9°C, and no traffic issues.

Glorious riding. Sunshine, no wind, warm. Why do I have to stop at work.

You've got me to thank for that. I had a negative reaction to my CT scan dye (my ears should have pricked when they said, they were using new stuff and have you ever had any reactions. Loosing 5% of your bodyweight overnight isnt advisable, so its been no commuting and correspondingly I've been staring a blue skies all week!

Twilkes

Guru
Had a collision today - cyclist at red lights in front of me at the bottom of a gentle hill, positioned slightly left of centre, wide lane, so assumed going straight on. I slowed for the lights, which changed to green, and rider was still stationary fumbling with his pedal. I decided to pass on the right, wherein he started moving, wobbling slowly forward and then to the right. Once I realised that he was probably getting into position to turn right, with no signal or looking, it was too late and I clipped his handlebar and he went down.

And he started freaking out at me - 6ft3 and gym-build, the car at the front of the oncoming queue even moved forward to get between us to keep him away from me. Managed to placate him, apologising and pointing out it looked like he was going straight on, enough that he went back to his bike, but I wasn't going to check if he was injured after all that, so cycled on.

Driver of that car told me it was all the other guy's fault but it was probably 50/50 - his positioning was poor, signalling or observation non-existent, but I should have just stayed behind him until he got moving, especially if he didn't look confident, that's what I would have done if I was driving a car, usually takes mistakes on both sides to cause an accident.

So lesson learned for me, don't know if I can say the same about the other guy though.

Alex321

Veteran
Quickest cycle commute into work for this year. Helped by glorious, warm, sunny weather. Traffic behaving themesleves and that rare thing of traffic lights being mainly green.
I wasn't even pushing it.

Very similar for me. And like you, the quickest commute in - at 16.1mph, the first time this year I have hit 16+

That is my normal speed in the summer - last year almost every commute in from July to September was 16+ mph, but only 3 by this time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A few pics from Wednesday's misty ride in...

IMG_20240508_080842.jpg

IMG_20240508_081204.jpg

IMG_20240508_081441.jpg

IMG_20240508_082921.jpg

:smile:

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Had a collision today - cyclist at red lights in front of me at the bottom of a gentle hill, positioned slightly left of centre, wide lane, so assumed going straight on. I slowed for the lights, which changed to green, and rider was still stationary fumbling with his pedal. I decided to pass on the right, wherein he started moving, wobbling slowly forward and then to the right. Once I realised that he was probably getting into position to turn right, with no signal or looking, it was too late and I clipped his handlebar and he went down.

And he started freaking out at me - 6ft3 and gym-build, the car at the front of the oncoming queue even moved forward to get between us to keep him away from me. Managed to placate him, apologising and pointing out it looked like he was going straight on, enough that he went back to his bike, but I wasn't going to check if he was injured after all that, so cycled on.

Driver of that car told me it was all the other guy's fault but it was probably 50/50 - his positioning was poor, signalling or observation non-existent, but I should have just stayed behind him until he got moving, especially if he didn't look confident, that's what I would have done if I was driving a car, usually takes mistakes on both sides to cause an accident.

So lesson learned for me, don't know if I can say the same about the other guy though.

Sounds potentially nasty! FWIW I'd have done exactly the same as you; but certainly have given him a wide berth. As you say his position was wrong and he didn't signal. You naturally overtake slower stuff on the right unless it's signalling. Which he wasn't.

I'm all for defensive riding and like to think I'm pretty on the ball with observation / hazards... however, while tweaking speed, position and attention are always advisable you can't stop for everything all of the time that might turn into an issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom