Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
What a lovely morning! Had a week and a bit out because of more popped spokes, so this morning got to ride in. I was a bit out of puff and decided to plump for the direct route in this morning on the basis I'll do an extended route home tonight.

Fingers crossed the rebuilt wheel holds out, at least until I get the new wheelset from Spacycles!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Gorgeous mornings commute. Supplemented by a brand new cycling jersey bought for me by my lovely partner.
GNw8bKlWUAApbsM?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Creaky and tired this morning after rides both preceding days and the now-usual early waking. Was tempted to leave the legs off my trousers but glad I didn't as it wasn't warm. Managed to leave generally on time for a relaxed ride, which was full of pleasant interactions.

By the time I was most of the way through the overcast skies had given way to sun, and being early I decided to push the ride out a bit further; forsaking Iffley lock and continuing to Kennington then back via Sandford; adding around 2.5 miles to the 8 mile ride and arriving at work just on time.

The ride back was a similar affair; extending the ride through Kennington and stopping at the Vicky in Jericho for a pint and then at the monkey bars by the canal for a bit of spinal decompression, some hanging knee lifts and a solitary chin up.

In total probably 21-22 miles in contrast to the 16ish for the vanilla commute. A really nice couple of rides, however my legs are covered in insect bites and I might have scorched my increasingly expansive forehead..

Dreich is probably the best word for it but at least I think I have found a ok routes. This morning was the most direct but down bridleways but I gave that a miss at night. The 23mm front tyre would probably have complained being as it was wetter tonight.

I do feel sorry for anyone disabled as it a nightmare to get to the NB platform. I carried my bike up and down the steep and high stairs last time. This time I took the ramped route it's about a half mile detour!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wet one this morning and not looking like it will stop. Rather warm, so most of my gear was wet through with sweat under the boil in the bag jacket and pants.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah was a wet morning here too. Started of with drizzle then got progressively worse as the commute went on.

Rainy commute # 22 for the year
Same period last year 21 rainy commutes

simongt

Guru
On the way home yesterday, I was close passed by a Transit van, then even closer passed by the touring caravan it was towing; probably about 15 -20cm. miss. :eek:
Quickly realised that the Transit didn't have extension mirrors fitted either side; TWAT - ! :cursing: Thus, with the width of the 'van, the Transit driver couldn't actually see down either side of said 'van. :dry:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Last night saw a slow, wet trundle home post-pub, keeping an eye out for my lost trouser legs. Sadly they didn't turn up although I think my short-range observation in their name helped avoid the many toads and snails drawn out onto the tow path by the rain.

Awoke this morning to torrential rain; got wet enough just getting to the car although by the time I'd parked at the other end it'd eased off a little. Moseyed in again with eyes peeled for escaped clothing.. although again no luck so I guess that's a write-off.

Despite the ostensibly grotty conditions it was actually a farly nice ride. I got largely soaked, however the temperature was alright and the rain was fresh and summery. Nearly made it all the way to work before I felt water sloshing around in my shoes.. the rain persisted throughout most of the day and I was out again mid-morning to deliver some bits to a local client.

I spent most of the day damp to some degree (shoes / feet never dried out) but it was tolerable, and the rain finally largely abaited for the ride home. Pushed this out a bit on the usual route as I felt no particular desire to get home, and stopped at the Vicky for a pint while the ominous storm clouds ahead passed over.

Not an ideal day, but a lot better than it might have been and I'm glad I didn't take the car, as was the initial temptation...

Top Bottom