So I’m thinking about my first bike tour……

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I can't see where it does altitude/ climbing

Click the icon

1000003395.jpg

MikeG

Guru
Thanks. I'm not seeing that icon, so I guess it's only visible if you open an account and log in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't see where it does altitude/ climbing. Am I missing something? I use ridewithgps.com which is very clear about the climbs....but doesn't have the "busy road" category which cycle.travel has.

You press the little mountain range thing button under "Route Tools" and you get a profile not dissimilar to the RWGPS profile appear at the bottom. I don't think it has the "grade" display that RWGPs has.

Edit. Beaten to the punch by @roubaixtuesday

All uphill

Still rolling along
I use Cycle.Travel on my mobile. I no longer get the mountains icon, but dragging up the information bar reveals altitude.
Screenshot_20240321-091157_cycletravel.jpg

Screenshot_20240321-091208_cycletravel.jpg

More information is always good! ^_^

This will sound quite odd but honestly, i don’t really know what I want other than to spend some time cycling and camping, eating food and watching the world go by as I pedal.
Then these are your criteria. To be honest, it could be anywhere. Even closer to home.
If you really want to observe the world going by, and a rag-tag world at that, a variation of the Spanish coastal route - the Camino de Santiago might be interesting. A fair bit of climbing but lots of facilities spaced out for hikers. Long days, short days, choose at will. Lots of interesting people. Fantastic countryside, great food. And wine. Cycling through the vineyards........ Not much camping, though.
Connections from Santiago for bikes are quite good.

The next adventure would be better planned after seeing how I get on with this one.
I've gone the opposite way. ^_^

I got about as far as where the pandemic had stopped you but I haven’t caught up with what’s happened since then
Well, there was some Covid induced ramblings about CDMX. Then further south. It actually finished up 2 years ago (almost to the day!) Then there was some searching for a home and a job in Spain. Mission accomplished.

It seems to me that you're well set up. Logistics seem to be the significant thing. Where I've faced logistical issues I've preferred to get them out of the way at the start.

Good Luck! And whether you publish it or not, I highly recommend keeping a journal of some kind. Crystal clear days that seem embedded in the memory can merge with time. It's the only regret of my early tours.

I can't see where it does altitude/ climbing. Am I missing something? I use ridewithgps.com which is very clear about the climbs....but doesn't have the "busy road" category which cycle.travel has.
@MikeG , I've reported your post and suggested to the @Moderators to move yours and the replies to the CycleTravel Thread so as to leave this thread focused for @SafetyThird . No offence intended.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

More information is always good! ^_^

Then these are your criteria. To be honest, it could be anywhere. Even closer to home.
If you really want to observe the world going by, and a rag-tag world at that, a variation of the Spanish coastal route - the Camino de Santiago might be interesting. A fair bit of climbing but lots of facilities spaced out for hikers. Long days, short days, choose at will. Lots of interesting people. Fantastic countryside, great food. And wine. Cycling through the vineyards........ Not much camping, though.
Connections from Santiago for bikes are quite good.

I've gone the opposite way. ^_^

Well, there was some Covid induced ramblings about CDMX. Then further south. It actually finished up 2 years ago (almost to the day!) Then there was some searching for a home and a job in Spain. Mission accomplished.

It seems to me that you're well set up. Logistics seem to be the significant thing. Where I've faced logistical issues I've preferred to get them out of the way at the start.

Good Luck! And whether you publish it or not, I highly recommend keeping a journal of some kind. Crystal clear days that seem embedded in the memory can merge with time. It's the only regret of my early tours.

@MikeG , I've reported your post and suggested to the @Moderators to move yours and the replies to the CycleTravel Thread so as to leave this thread focused for @SafetyThird . No offence intended.

Pretty much my only other criteria was for some more reliable sunshine that at home :smile:. I spent most of a decade living and working on hot places and the last 18 years back in the UK has been something of a struggle through the winters. Cycling to work every day in Holland, I dealt with all the weather a north sea Winter might throw at you but for fun I’d like somewhere warm. September in France or Spain should hopefully fit the bill.

Sounds like you’ve been having quite the adventure, I’ll try and catch up soon.

I’ve tried journalling before but never seem to find suitable words to fit the places I’ve been. Perhaps slower travel will make that easier and give me time to try again. I take photos generally and, on this little holiday in Mexico I’m experimenting with video for the first time, just using my phone to take short videos and stitching them together with comments to make a little reel for each day. It’s a very different process And I’m somewhat in awe of the people who put together such wonderful cycling travelogues on youtube, it must be nearly a full time job to do that so well.

I’m somewhat in awe of the people who put together such wonderful cycling travelogues on youtube, it must be nearly a full time job to do that so well.
There are vanishingly few Youtubers I watch for that reason - it is a full time job and they rarely accurately represent the reality.
Inspirational to be sure, but not real enough for me. Some, I get the feeling don't bring a video camera on a bike ride, they bring a bike along on a video shoot.
I have/had a few videos but most of them are for the noise - waterfalls and the like and one glorious night.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

There are vanishingly few Youtubers I watch for that reason - it is a full time job and they rarely accurately represent the reality.
Inspirational to be sure, but not real enough for me. Some, I get the feeling don't bring a video camera on a bike ride, they bring a bike along on a video shoot.
I have/had a few videos but most of them are for the noise - waterfalls and the like and one glorious night.

Yes, so many seem to manufacture clickbait articles and go over the same thing repeatedly but some are good for inspiration and funnily enough the ones i enjoy most don’t have the highest standards of production but concentrate on the experience of just being there. I get if you’re on a multi-year journey, the ability to earn enough to keep travelling by making YouTube must be very appealing though.

trying to get back on a bike after about 15 years of not riding.
I am in a similar position to you, but due to a long term injury.
The local road riding club need you to be able to do minimum 40 miles as 12-15mph on these hills, so I have some work to do to even join the club but I’m working on it.
Yes, this is a bit depressing isn't it. I found that with lots of local ride groups - either be strong and fast or don't waste our time. I realised I did not actually want to ride with people so competitive, as my interest is more in looking at my environment and stopping to see interesting stuff than something heading towards a race. I have always felt a bit sad when you see person X has ridden around the world in a faster than ever time - all that effort, all those countries, most looked at thing a stopwatch!
an e-bike conversion kit
I would suggest caution. One because you are under-rating yourself hugley just because you are not fit yet and second because many of these kits are such a fire risk and near impossible to put out once aflame. Not something to want in a hotel room or your home.

Can I also suggest
https://www.cycletouring.org

They have a group camping weekend coming up soon, they do this annually. Also I think they aim to match up people socially who are interesting in touring and I presume also those training for touring, or doing weekend UK tours.

You can always take a bike abroad in your car via a Ferry so it would not need to be so taken apart and could be driven to a location for starting a circular tour. I do not know if you would need any proof the bike was bought and owned in Britain and not bought while abroad (customs) as you sometimes need that with camera gear if its extensive.

Traveling to a flat or undulating area of the UK for a test ride or 2 could be good experience/weekend.

the ones i enjoy most don’t have the highest standards of production but concentrate on the experience of just being there.
Yes, I agree. Too much glamour and not enough grime just strikes me as unrealistic.
One of my favourite YouTubers, now sadly gone, is Johan, very much an 'experience' guy.
I also like this guy for the simpler approach.

if you’re on a multi-year journey, the ability to earn enough to keep travelling by making YouTube must be very appealing though.
It is, but how long until the demands of the audience/production begin to influence the journey? I met a couple quite popular in the Vanlife community. Having met them I thought I'd be interested in following their adventures but the reality is that the constant 'drama' is exhausting and completely false. They're selling a product and need to adjust it to suit the market.
They were self-sustaining on the road ($1500-2000 per month) but spending significant amounts of time in recording and production. It's an interesting approach but not one for me.

I have always felt a bit sad when you see person X has ridden around the world in a faster than ever time - all that effort, all those countries, most looked at thing a stopwatch!
To be fair, we're all different and it's maybe not advisable to judge too strongly another's motivations or what pleases them. Competition in cycling, especially the likes of round the world adventures do nothing for me but I wrote previously about this account of a record breaking ride. Well worth a read and useful for everyone who's possibly nervous, anxious or lacking confidence in having their own adventure on a bike.

I do not know if you would need any proof the bike was bought and owned in Britain
My understanding is that such proof is advisable.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

I am in a similar position to you, but due to a long term injury.
Hope you’re able to recover from it gradually.
Yes, this is a bit depressing isn't it. I found that with lots of local ride groups - either be strong and fast or don't waste our time. I realised I did not actually want to ride with people so competitive, as my interest is more in looking at my environment and stopping to see interesting stuff than something heading towards a race. I have always felt a bit sad when you see person X has ridden around the world in a faster than ever time - all that effort, all those countries, most looked at thing a stopwatch!

I would suggest caution. One because you are under-rating yourself hugley just because you are not fit yet and second because many of these kits are such a fire risk and near impossible to put out once aflame. Not something to want in a hotel room or your home.
I had read about e-bike charging issues and some terrifying fires caused by them and so I spent some time on the Uk pedelec forum so that I could understand more about it. I ended up buying a kit from Woosh Bikes in Southend who have been around for years, are based in the UK and seem well known and respected for putting together kits with high quality parts. They responded very quickly to all my emails and helped me build a suitable kit for my bike. It charges out in our barn rather than the house and I think I’ve done as much as possible to ensure that it should be a reliable setup compared to so many systems that are supplied with no warranty or with unknown parts.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Yes, I agree. Too much glamour and not enough grime just strikes me as unrealistic.
One of my favourite YouTubers, now sadly gone, is Johan, very much an 'experience' guy.
I also like this guy for the simpler approach.
Thanks for those, I’ve marked a couple of them to watch. A couple of my favourites are Daphne Irwin https://youtube.com/@daphnebehindbars?si=9qW72UUkILGC5huy and Rolling existence https://youtube.com/@RollingExistence?si=7WpZOFaPglCiVSWr

Competition in cycling, especially the likes of round the world adventures do nothing for me but I wrote previously about this account of a record breaking ride. Well worth a read and useful for everyone who's possibly nervous, anxious or lacking confidence in having their own adventure on a bike.
Have marked that to be read as well, thanks.

Top Bottom