So I’m thinking about my first bike tour……

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Thanks everyone for such helpful and encouraging replies, you’ve given me much to think about.

I’ve been getting on the Zwift rig three times a week for the past couple of months. I’m actually away on holiday currrently so have two weeks off then I’ll be back to it when I get home. As the weather improves, I’ll start getting out on the bike properly and as my fitness improves I’ll hopefully get to the point of joining the road cycling club which will give me people to ride with and some encouragement.

I’ve also just changed the crankset/cassette on my road bike from standard gearing to subcompact with a spa cycles crankset and a Miche 13-30 cassette so that should make getting up the hills on it more bearable. I’ve discovered that the local bike club do a monthly Sunday ride where they have two 20 mile routes for the social (more relaxed 12-15mph folks) and the ‘club’ rides with a cafe stop in the middle so people can try out the two options. I’m planning to do the social ride first loop when I’m next able and see how I get on with that, hopefully with some Zwift and local road riding, I’ll be able to join the social group on regular Sunday rides and have company to ride with.

Timewise, I’m probably looking at 3 weeks in September, I’m not tied to any dates but want to be out of the busiest and hottest months but hopefully have reasonable weather. I did glance sideways at the channel to med routes but think that’s best kept for another year once I’ve got some experience and distance behind me. I’m planning on 50 miles (80k) a day which I hope is reasonable for a first time tourer and I’ll be planning in rest days to look around places.

After some advice on another forum I’ve now started looking at EV1 from Roscoff to Santander. Cycle.travel reckons 14 days. At 50 miles per day and with three weeks that would give me rest days to look around places and a reasonable buffer for if It’s all a bit much. Also, the hillier bits are at the end when hopefully I’ll have got more used to riding every day like that. I wouldn’t need to mess with trains other than getting to Plymouth and back from home.

After emanresu‘s suggest here I’m also going to take a look at the option of going west from Santander too.

Thanks for all the help so far, I’ll be back with more questions soon I’m sure.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good luck.

What's the subcompact that you've fitted? I'm thinking that when my current 50/34 compact chainset wears out I might go for a subcompact. Provided that everything else like the front mech will still work. My chainset is still quite new so I have a few years yet - during which my legs will inevitably decline even further.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Good luck.

What's the subcompact that you've fitted? I'm thinking that when my current 50/34 compact chainset wears out I might go for a subcompact. Provided that everything else like the front mech will still work. My chainset is still quite new so I have a few years yet - during which my legs will inevitably decline even further.

I had a 53/39 which was great when I was fit and it was flat, I’ve now gone with the spa cycles super compact 46/30. When I emailed spa cycles, this was the reply I received about it’s suitability for my bike.

“Our super compact chainset would be compatible with your bike with the recommended length bottom bracket. You would probably require a front derailleur dropper: https://spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s106p5161/SPA-CYCLES-Front-Mech-Braze-On-Dropper to accommodate the smaller chainring sizes. The advantage of our super compact over the Shimano GRX is that we can offer custom chainring sizes allowing for much lower gearing and it uses a standard 5 bolt BCD which makes sourcing replacement rings a lot easier. As your rear derailleur is a medium cage it is rated to 11-30 cassette however we have fitted 11-32 with the super compact chainsets and not encountered any issues.”

I fitted the dropper and the front mech works fine after adjustment. I have a medium cage derailleur and the 13/30 Miche cassette also shifts fine with it.

This is the link to the chainset. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p3383/SPA-CYCLES-TD-2-Super-Compact-Chainset-with-Zicral-Rings

I had an old hollow tech 1 bottom bracket so had to change that out for a square taper one. I did look at putting a grx chainset on but I’d need a new front derailleur and i would change the offset and q-value and the spa cycles option gives me a way to gear even lower in the future if needed as I get older. The road bike is rather special and, a bit like Trigger’s broom, something I won’t sell but just modify as I need.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Sounds great. I'd say 50 miles a day is quite a lot if camping. What's your lowest gear?

I did wonder that, I’m definitely going to have to do some short tours first to dial in what I’m capable of but at least along the coast it’s very flat.

The bike has a rohloff 14 speed with a range of 17–90 gear inches.

I did wonder if I’d be bored just riding the coast and I’m looking at taking a slight detour through Bordeaux along the way.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I did wonder that, I’m definitely going to have to do some short tours first to dial in what I’m capable of but at least along the coast it’s very flat.

The bike has a rohloff 14 speed with a range of 17–90 gear inches.

I did wonder if I’d be bored just riding the coast and I’m looking at taking a slight detour through Bordeaux along the way.

Ah, 17 inches is probably about as slow as it's possible to pedal, perfect! I got confused by the chainset chat above, which presumably relates to a different bike.

I would say that 50 miles on that route could be quite a lot easier than 50 miles in Devon!

A day or two in Bordeaux sounds like an excellent plan, enjoy.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm prob doing a fair amount of that route (current thinking is St Malo - Bilbao via Bordeaux) in August so I'll let you know how it goes. I'd love to do September trips because August is increasingly horrid in Europe but I can't.

MikeG

Guru
.........After emanresu‘s suggest here I’m also going to take a look at the option of going west from Santander too.......
This is an area I know well. It's stunning, but very hilly, and with the traffic all being concentrated in the valleys it is very difficult to completely escape traffic on fast roads. If you want further details as you flesh out your possible trip, just let me know. My daughter lives in Asturias, and I've cycled a lot in the area, including cycling down through France to her house.

MikeG

Guru
I'm prob doing a fair amount of that route (current thinking is St Malo - Bilbao via Bordeaux) in August so I'll let you know how it goes. I'd love to do September trips because August is increasingly horrid in Europe but I can't.
Southern France in August means risking 45 degree heat or thunderstorms........or both. Plus all the tourists, of course. Good luck!

So I’m thinking of doing my first bike tour in September
Good for you!

Also, my wife isn’t very interested in travelling like this
On this..... I used to think like that. I had preconceived ideas of what a "Bike Tour" was, what "kind" of person did one. And what one would be like. As things turned out, I was completely wrong on just about all counts.

The key to me finding all this out was a package deal along a river, staying in nice hotels and my gear being bussed from place to place. I got to see things in a completely different way, I got to feel a whole load of wonderful, positive things and I've never looked back since.
Maybe, just maybe your wife can still be seduced by the right offer. If yes, it's laying down a foundation for many, many travels near and far for as long as ye both can ride a bike.
(My bike adventures have evolved a bit since then, but without that initial exposure I doubt I'd ever have started).

On a separate point, is she comfortable with you being away for 3 weeks in foreign parts? Some people need constant updates. No harm to have a chat about that in advance.

Years ago I cycled a lot because i did triathlons
And
continuing those workouts to build enough fitness to join a local club for road cycling
I'm thinking that the kind of cycling done for a triathlon and such a demanding bike club are not exactly the same kind of cycling you'll want to be doing in France or Spain or wherever? Or that might just be me.

I'm not a great believer in being "fit" for a bike tour in the physical sense. There are no rules on how far I have to cycle to be a bike tourist, not how many meters I have to climb. If I'm not as fit as others I can happily ride shorter distances. Some of my best days on the bike have been less than 20 km.

Most people will probably be way ahead of me
Feck most people. It's your tour. Ride it your way.

Also, if I’m missing something obvious in trying to book train tickets I’m all ears.
Sometimes booking trains can only be done maybe 3 months out. Looking in September won't work now. As Andy said, Maninseat61.

I’m planning on 50 miles (80k) a day which I hope is reasonable for a first time tourer
You've talked about a couple of routes in France and one in Spain and here it's distance. I don't see anything about where you want to go or what you want to see?
I'd suggest you have a think about that. I always much prefer riding my bike in a place I want to be or on my way to a place I want to visit. It makes any unpleasantness more enjoyable.
We're all different. Some want to reach that peak. Others the sea. Some like to visit friends or family. What or where fires you up?

Remember, you'll be going solo (or so it seems now) for three weeks. Not everyone likes that. The reality of eating alone in busy places can take getting used to. No one to celebrate with on reaching that milestone or commiserating if things go pear shaped. Everything is that bit better if we're somewhere we want to be!

As suggested upthread a few times, a few get-away-for-the-weekend rides, packed as you expect to be will be very useful. Distance is probably less important. I've taken "the long way" to a not too far away campsite when I wanted to get away without too much time. I've camped up on a friend's farm when I wanted to test out a few things. There's a whole lot more to a camping bike tour than riding the bike.

Keep looking for inspiration. I think that' the most important. CGOAB has a treasure trove of journals and a very useful map feature. Personally, reading about a place as I cycle through it is a fabulous experience.

Now, to add to your destination confusion..... ^_^
One of the great places to explore for a beginner (and not so beginner) bike adventurer are the flatlands of the Netherlands. Excellent infrastructure. Interesting places. Great (and numerous) camping options. Not too many hills (but there can be wind) and, important for some - English speaking! Setting up camp in a small campsite the other campers will be all chat. Very friendly. Don't forget to pack a smile! Trains are easy too. Logistically difficult, perhaps, from Devon but lots of benefits.

A few general bits of advice. You'll want a decent bike planner. I recommend Cycle.Travel. Lots of useful features for long distance adventures. Distance is just a number. It's very helpful to know what 20,30,40 km feels like. Ditto with climbing. A daily target is useful but the really important thing is doing that distance day after day after day. Better to not stretch ourselves. Extra energy can be spent exploring along the way or when we arrive rather than racing to a destination. Going solo, self motivation or self care can be important. I'd suggest knowing how to do some basic maintenance like fixing a puncture. It can save on some embarrassment. ^_^

Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Good for you!

On this..... I used to think like that. I had preconceived ideas of what a "Bike Tour" was, what "kind" of person did one. And what one would be like. As things turned out, I was completely wrong on just about all counts.

The key to me finding all this out was a package deal along a river, staying in nice hotels and my gear being bussed from place to place. I got to see things in a completely different way, I got to feel a whole load of wonderful, positive things and I've never looked back since.
Maybe, just maybe your wife can still be seduced by the right offer. If yes, it's laying down a foundation for many, many travels near and far for as long as ye both can ride a bike.
(My bike adventures have evolved a bit since then, but without that initial exposure I doubt I'd ever have started).
No, honestly, my wife really wouldn’t enjoy that. The ideas of cycling on public roads, packing and unpacking every day, moving to multiple hotels etc all are just about everything she’d hate in a holiday. We know each other well, we have the things we enjoy individually and the things we enjoy together and we encourage each other to do all of those things. She takes trips for her stuff, I take them for mine and we have others we take together.
On a separate point, is she comfortable with you being away for 3 weeks in foreign parts? Some people need constant updates. No harm to have a chat about that in advance.
We’ve spent a fair chunk of our years in different places due to work. She’s just got back from 2 months working in New Zealand. Two years ago she spent 6 months working in Glasgow, a couple of years before that, I was away in Spain and Hungary working for almost 4 months. Our careers in the film industry have regularly seen us apart as well as working together.

I’m currrently sat in a friend’s house in Mexico where I’ve been enjoying diving, surfing and hiking with them on a break originally planned for 2020. I’ve regularly gone off into the hills with a backpack, and occasionally a dog too, and she knows I have the necessary skills to look after myself and the means to extricate myself or call for help if needed. We check in most evenings with each other and have well established connection needs and protocols as we’ve been doing this a long while. We’ll be absolutely fine being apart for three weeks :smile:
And

I'm thinking that the kind of cycling done for a triathlon and such a demanding bike club are not exactly the same kind of cycling you'll want to be doing in France or Spain or wherever? Or that might just be me.
Oh lord, I would not be doing triathlon type riding on a tour, totally different horses for courses :smile: I enjoy a good road ride but I also enjoy the fun of just watching the world go gently by and taking my time to travel.
I'm not a great believer in being "fit" for a bike tour in the physical sense. There are no rules on how far I have to cycle to be a bike tourist, not how many meters I have to climb. If I'm not as fit as others I can happily ride shorter distances. Some of my best days on the bike have been less than 20 km.
I would much prefer to start a tour with some reasonable fitness. I totally get why some folks might go off and plan to get fit on a tour but being unfit at the start with a heavy bike I feel would just make it all so much harder. Totally agree on riding short distances on some days though, just look around and take time to enjoy where you are.
Feck most people. It's your tour. Ride it your way.

Sometimes booking trains can only be done maybe 3 months out. Looking in September won't work now. As Andy said, Maninseat61.
Ah, maybe it’s the timing then. Thanks, I should have thought of that. Yes, seat61 is someone I’ve followed for years, used info from there to plan a non-cycling) trip over in Europe last year.
You've talked about a couple of routes in France and one in Spain and here it's distance. I don't see anything about where you want to go or what you want to see?
I'd suggest you have a think about that. I always much prefer riding my bike in a place I want to be or on my way to a place I want to visit. It makes any unpleasantness more enjoyable.
We're all different. Some want to reach that peak. Others the sea. Some like to visit friends or family. What or where fires you up?
This will sound quite odd but honestly, i don’t really know what I want other than to spend some time cycling and camping, eating food and watching the world go by as I pedal. I mean, I could list a thousand places to go and explore but on this occasion I’m limited to three weeks max and I don’t want to spend much of it on the travel at beginning or end. If I travel via The channel it’s an extra two days on trains there and back from home, if I fly then I have to box everything at each end and park the car at the aiport. If I go via plymouth then it’s much easier because I can almost cycle straight from my front door but it limits me to western France or northern Spain, which is no bad thing for someone happy to live on ‘du pain, du vin, du Boursin’ etc :smile:

Not having toured by bike before, I figured somewhere mostly flat and with decent infrastructure would be useful to start and for me to see how I get on with the concept. Generally I prefer being in the mountains but that’s going to make for less relaxed touring or longer trips there and back but probably something I’ll do in the future. I enjoy the process of travelling slowly so just moving each day and getting used to a new method to do that is as much as I really need from this trip. The next adventure would be better planned after seeing how I get on with this one.
Remember, you'll be going solo (or so it seems now) for three weeks. Not everyone likes that. The reality of eating alone in busy places can take getting used to. No one to celebrate with on reaching that milestone or commiserating if things go pear shaped. Everything is that bit better if we're somewhere we want to be!
I love travelling with someone but also enjoy the freedom of travelling alone. Do I get lonely sometimes, yes absolutely, but I also enjoy going ‘oooh, lets spend this morning exploring some really interesting niche museum and then spend the afternoon tasting wines at a vineyard (my wife doesn’t drink so would be bored) without having to worry that the other person just wants to move on.
As suggested upthread a few times, a few get-away-for-the-weekend rides, packed as you expect to be will be very useful. Distance is probably less important. I've taken "the long way" to a not too far away campsite when I wanted to get away without too much time. I've camped up on a friend's farm when I wanted to test out a few things. There's a whole lot more to a camping bike tour than riding the bike.
Yes, I’m planning on a few of these. With camping, I’m pretty experienced and have my gear fairly well dialled. I’ve over 40 years of hiking and climbing behind me, there won’t be much change to what I’d need to pack on the bike compared to what goes in my backpack, apart from the folding chair that I’m definitely taking on the bike tour :smile:
Keep looking for inspiration. I think that' the most important. CGOAB has a treasure trove of journals and a very useful map feature. Personally, reading about a place as I cycle through it is a fabulous experience.
I often spend time browsing journals here and on CGOAB. In fact, a couple of years ago I spent some very enjoyable afternoons reading your own journal which I have to say was so well put together and very enjoyable. I got about as far as where the pandemic had stopped you but I haven’t caught up with what’s happened since then, I really should.
Now, to add to your destination confusion..... ^_^
One of the great places to explore for a beginner (and not so beginner) bike adventurer are the flatlands of the Netherlands. Excellent infrastructure. Interesting places. Great (and numerous) camping options. Not too many hills (but there can be wind) and, important for some - English speaking! Setting up camp in a small campsite the other campers will be all chat. Very friendly. Don't forget to pack a smile! Trains are easy too. Logistically difficult, perhaps, from Devon but lots of benefits.
I know the Netherlands very well, I lived and worked in Den Haag for 3 years in the late 90’s. A wonderful country that utterly spoiled me for cycling in many ways, but it’s a place I feel I already know well and getting there would still involve a day or two at either end of the trip from Devon.
A few general bits of advice. You'll want a decent bike planner. I recommend Cycle.Travel. Lots of useful features for long distance adventures. Distance is just a number. It's very helpful to know what 20,30,40 km feels like. Ditto with climbing. A daily target is useful but the really important thing is doing that distance day after day after day. Better to not stretch ourselves. Extra energy can be spent exploring along the way or when we arrive rather than racing to a destination. Going solo, self motivation or self care can be important. I'd suggest knowing how to do some basic maintenance like fixing a puncture. It can save on some embarrassment. ^_^

Best of luck to you.
I’ve used Komoot for a couple of years but only recently discovered cycle.travel and have been using it for the past week or two to plan this trip and I’m figuring out how it works slowly. Very much enjoying it though and think it will become my go-to planner from now on.

Maintenance wise I’m fairly well set. I’ve built a couple of bikes up from components in the past and just put new bottom bracket/crankset etc on my road bike. Puncture fixing has long been a staple of life and I carry a decent kit of tools/parts as needed when I’m out.

Thanks for taking the time to put so much great information and suggestions down, it’s really much appreciated.

Jay.

Top Bottom