Skip Diving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20230225-213606~2.png

A photo I took a while ago outside a warehouse I was delivering to in Lutterworth... 1000's of dead gnomes 😔

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 679457

A photo I took a while ago outside a warehouse I was delivering to in Lutterworth... 1000's of dead gnomes 😔
You should have grabbed a pair of feet. The footprints would have folk worried.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You don't see many skips on the streets of west London. Any unattended one would be filled up with other people's trash in a matter of minutes leaving no space for the person who hired it (expensively). Builders fill up dozens of rubble sacks with stuff from the site they are working on and fill up the skip when it arrives. It's never left unattended, usually being removed immediately. That doesn't stop idiots from leaving old fridges, manky matresses etc a few yards away in the hope that the skip operator will remove their trash. He won't.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Legally, the stuff in the skip belongs to the party who hired it, even if it's on a public street. Ownership passes to the skip operator when they pick it up. Sometimes the contents will go to a recycling centre for the financial benefit of either the hirer or the skip people, or both. It's not a good idea to assume that you have legal carte blanche to filtch any contents.

All you have to do is get permission from the hirer (usually the building contractor). Happy hunting.

stephec

Legendary Member
View attachment 679457

Best place for them.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Love a bit of skip diving and usually have a quick look when I pass. No big scores that I can recall, but a few little things have been had over the years. I love finding / rescuing stuff (as long as it's actually worth saving / of use, otherwise it's just hoarding crap :tongue: ).

I love my old, found Raleigh nearly as much as my Genesis; despite the fact it's grossly inferior on paper and worth about 5% as much. Feels like I'm cheating to get so much pleasure from something that cost me so little (at least financially) in such a shallow, money-centric society.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Love a bit of skip diving and usually have a quick look when I pass. No big scores that I can recall, but a few little things have been had over the years. I love finding / rescuing stuff (as long as it's actually worth saving / of use, otherwise it's just hoarding crap :tongue: ).

I love my old, found Raleigh nearly as much as my Genesis; despite the fact it's grossly inferior on paper and worth about 5% as much. Feels like I'm cheating to get so much pleasure from something that cost me so little (at least financially) in such a shallow, money-centric society.

There's a real thrill to be had from valuing something that seems quite worthless to others.

Top Bottom