Skip Diving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Absolutely :becool:

Like rescuing an abandoned dog, really.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Polite to enquire I reckon, but if it's in a skip it's clearly getting chucked, so if there's nobody to ask then have at it I reckon.

It is not polite. It is a necessity. If the skip is on public or private land, the contents belong to the owner. You could be charged with theft.

Having said that. The chances of that are minimal. The police would not be interested in charging you with something that is being thrown away and the owner would not be interested in paying for a civil action.

But you know how stroppy some people can get. You are better off asking first.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've asked people several times if I can take summat and would feel 'guilty' just taking it without permission.
I've also asked a neighbour (that I knew) if I could put a few duff tyres in their skip as the local tips won't take them.

The supermarket that I drive for has a rolling re-fit program and the stuff I see being dumped is mind blowing! If I took as much as a screw out of there, though, I'd likely be sacked for theft!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Like rescuing an abandoned dog, really.

Yeah; especially if you have a slightly bizarre predisposition towards empathy for inanimate objects!

As it happens when we've had cats in the past several have just shown up and adopted us; judging by the feral tortoisehell loiting increasingly in the garden over recent months I think we might end up on a similar situation soon :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Anyone else into Skip Diving?
MrsPete rolls her eyes at the very mention of it! 😂

I wanted some floor covering for my new 8'x6' shed. It was going to cost c£50 ish for new lino or laminate flooring.

A chap over the road had a large skip delivered and into it, amongst lots of other stuff, a batch of almost perfect laminate flooring including the foam underlay.

Walking the dog yesterday gave me the chance for the conversation.... 👍

Result? Enough flooring, free, for both sheds 😁

I'm not sure of the professional etiquette, but I reckon it's polite to ask, if possible, rather than just take stuff...

A man after my own heart .:okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
I had been meaning to get a bit of carpet or lino to cover the floor in my hall cupboard as it's just plain cement and therefore dusty.

There has been ongoing work in the flat down stairs and earlier today I happened to spot the carpet fitter throwing some off cuts in the big bag of rubbish outside so I ran down and asked if I could have them.

I'm just after it now and has made a big difference.:okay:

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There's another skip being filled just up the road from me now. It's got several quite new scaffold planks that have been cut in half dumped in it.. I feel a visit coming in👌

Top Bottom