Kent Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They are still in Surrey (the core of Tatsfield village at any rate)
Yes yes, that's pretty clear, but the point being made by @GuyBoden and @YellowV2 above is that they have postcodes in common with Kent, due to the fact that the PO considers Tatsfield to be part of Westerham (which is undeniably in Kent)

The moral of the story is -- don't use postcodes to infer the governing authority.

Last edited:

YellowV2

Veteran
So it was a trick question, you devil.:evil:

The triple point is about a kilometre south east of Tatsfield. To the west is Surrey, to the north-east is London (LB Bromley) and to the south east is Kent.
View attachment 722170

It must be galling for the good burghers of Tatsfield to have survived the 1965 boundary changes without being dumped into Greater London, retaining their historic Surrey status, only for the post office to unilaterally decide that they should be moved into Kent.

In my book, if it's inside the M25, it's Greater London. End of chat. No messing with quaint county boundaries or weird postal delivery codes. :smile:

So it was a trick question, you devil.:evil:

The triple point is about a kilometre south east of Tatsfield. To the west is Surrey, to the north-east is London (LB Bromley) and to the south east is Kent.
View attachment 722170

It must be galling for the good burghers of Tatsfield to have survived the 1965 boundary changes without being dumped into Greater London, retaining their historic Surrey status, only for the post office to unilaterally decide that they should be moved into Kent.

In my book, if it's inside the M25, it's Greater London. End of chat. No messing with quaint county boundaries or weird postal delivery codes. :smile:

I don’t agree I have lived in North Kent from before the M25 existed both inside and outside of the now M25 and I live in Kent. The Greater London suburbs should also still be Kent!

YellowV2

Veteran
Yes yes, that's pretty clear, but the point being made by @GuyBoden and @YellowV2 above is that they have postcodes in common with Kent, due to the fact that the PO considers Tatsfield to be part of Westerham (which is undeniably in Kent)

The moral of the story is -- don't use postcodes to infer the governing authority.

Yes it is in the Postal district of Westerham. Postal districts don’t have to align with county boundaries, apparently .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes it is in the Postal district of Westerham. Postal districts don’t have to align with county boundaries, apparently .

indeed, they just refer to the nearest "Postal Town/City" i.e. TN is Tunbridge Wells. The postcode system was designed to make sorting and delivering Mail easier and has never respected county boundaries.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don’t agree I have lived in North Kent from before the M25 existed both inside and outside of the now M25 and I live in Kent. The Greater London suburbs should also still be Kent!

I have to admit I was just trolling. ;)

It's all just suburbs of Greater Catford.

GuyBoden

Guru

No, the Post Office are always correct. So, Tatsfield must be in Kent. :biggrin:

Some locations of the ITV drama "Mr Bates vs The Post Office" was filmed in Tatsfield, namely, the houses/cafe opposite the duck pond.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have an Oldham postcode (historic Lancashire, currently Greater Manchester) and a West Yorkshire council and phone number. Online forms seem split about where Todmorden is... Some let me choose the county, some impose Yorkshire, some Lancashire. :wacko:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Having a free morning I rode out to Chalkpit Lane to take some photos.

First of all, the Surrey/Kent/LB Bromley triple point. My front wheel is in Surrey, the far side of my back wheel is London Borough of Bromley and the nearside is Kent.
1708784841370.png

As I rode through Tatsfield someone shouted "tosser!" at me. Probably one of @GuyBoden 's friends ;)

Next stop ...
1708784956889.png

First you ride past the entrance to the Chalk Pit itself. This was the scene of the gruesome discovery in 1946 of the body of John McMain Mudie in what became known as The Chalk-pit Murder He was killed by a dodgy Australian politician (and possible serial killer) called Thomas Ley. Ley escaped the noose but died soon after being committed to Broadmoor.

It's a bit daunting because you can see the ridge above you, and it's very close - and very high. I sometimes go walking round here and there are some stupid footpaths that go directly up the slope. One is actually a big flight of steps.

There's an ominous warning sign as you approach the hill. It's not true that it's 20%. The steepest my Garmin recorded was 18.4% But it averages 13% over 1km so it is definitely steep. The Ordnance survey only give it a single chevron which suggests they agree with me that it's not 20% or over There are very few double chevrons in the area. One is Succombs Hill in Warlingham a bit to the north - that's horribly steep and quite busy with traffic so not nice. Anyway, back to Chalkpit Lane ...
1708785503456.png

It proved to be difficult to stop for photographs on the hill itself. I couldn't stop on the hairpin because I was struggling to keep the bike upright and actually moving, and there was a fair bit of traffic. I did pull over a bit later when the traffic cleared, but it's not very photogenic. This is looking back down the hill to the hairpin.
1708786623096.png

The Garmin reckoned it was 17% where I stopped. Restarting after the photo was a bit of a challenge, but I managed it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Dogtrousers, how did you do that? I think the best I can manage is 10% if I can start on the RHS of the road. Full details of yr technique please.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dogtrousers, how did you do that? I think the best I can manage is 10% if I can start on the RHS of the road. Full details of yr technique please.
While waiting for his answer...

I start on the LHS of the road, facing across to the right. I have my right foot clipped in and that crank up. I wait until there is no traffic and then launch myself, stomping down hard on that right pedal. I try to clip the left side in before having to turn up the hill. That usually works pretty well up to about 20% but gets harder at 25+%! Very tricky though if the road is singletrack... :whistle:

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Back on topic: I went down the lane this morning. The surface is good and presumably will remain in that condition until next winter.

Top Bottom