Kent Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Chalkpit Lane from the Ridge downhill S to Oxted: I have never heard of a cyclist using this route. From the maps it appears to be two-way narrow lanes having max gradient of 11% with a hair pin naturally at the steepest part. So I am asking for views of its suitability please.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
At the hairpin the road surface used to be pretty shocking with potholes and gravel. Apart from that, its not a busy road. I've never had any problems.

Red17

Veteran
Ridden it a few times. Tends to be pretty busy with traffic, hence some close passes when climbing it as its fairly narrow. Downhill it is no problem as you can keep up with traffic.

Gangers hill further along the ridge seems quieter and more commonly used by cyclists Imo

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
On the downs a few absurdly steep but short hills. I got my loaded Genesis up OK though.

Drago

Legendary Member
There are no hills in Kent - it must be a mistake on the map.

Having lived up on the Kent Downs I can confirm that is 100% wrong.

They are proper brake burners for sure, although us Men of Kent are made of sterner stuff (we were the only lot to see off William the Conqueror, though not me personally) so what might seem like a heroic descent to a soft Yorkshieman is little more than a mild climb to us.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I holidayed in Kent, close to the sussex border, last year. Way hillier than I was expecting,lovely lanes and so much woodland. Came away with a completely changed image of the place and a new found respect for those on here who post rides. Only downside was the number of cars relative to Cumbria/Lancs/yorkshire I’m used to.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Having lived up on the Kent Downs I can confirm that is 100% wrong.

They are proper brake burners for sure, although us Men of Kent are made of sterner stuff (we were the only lot to see off William the Conqueror, though not me personally) so what might seem like a heroic descent to a soft Yorkshieman is little more than a mild climb to us.

So a Yorkshireman’s descents are like a Kentish uphill? Confirms my original point if you think downhills are uphills!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Chalkpit Lane from the Ridge downhill S to Oxted: I have never heard of a cyclist using this route. From the maps it appears to be two-way narrow lanes having max gradient of 11% with a hair pin naturally at the steepest part. So I am asking for views of its suitability please.

It's OK. I ride it often, both directions, but it does need great caution going down. The surface can be a bit sketchy. Show it due respect when descending and you'll be fine.

Alternative hills around there are - West to East - Gangers Hill (a bit easier) Tandridge Hill (Similar to Chalkpit) Chalkpit La, Titsey Hill (more of a main rd, better surface but busy) White La, (very steep, narrow branch off Titsey Hill).

Easiest ascent/descent round there is Clarks Lane. Wide, good visibility, not too steep, decent surface, moderately busy.

Further East you have the main road to Biggin Hill which I don't cycle as it's too busy with fast traffic, but my little car struggles on that hill, second gear needed. Then you have the triumvirate of Hogtrough, Brasted and Sundridge hills, all of which are steep.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's OK. I ride it often, both directions, but it does need great caution going down. The surface can be a bit sketchy. Show it due respect when descending and you'll be fine.

Alternative hills around there are - West to East - Gangers Hill (a bit easier) Tandridge Hill (Similar to Chalkpit) Chalkpit La, Titsey Hill (more of a main rd, better surface but busy) White La, (very steep, narrow branch off Titsey Hill).

Easiest ascent/descent round there is Clarks Lane. Wide, good visibility, not too steep, decent surface, moderately busy.

Further East you have the main road to Biggin Hill which I don't cycle as it's too busy with fast traffic, but my little car struggles on that hill, second gear needed. Then you have the triumvirate of Hogtrough, Brasted and Sundridge hills, all of which are steep.

I've ridden up Chalkpit and White Lane, and watched is it Beckenham CC ? annual hill climb up white lane. and checking I descended Clarks hill both times.

There are definitely hills in Kent, that ridge just north of the M25/M26/M20 is quite sharp. Obviously Yorkshire hills are bigger and better because we invented hills.... :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By the way I've just checked the map and Gangers Hill, Tandridge Hill, Chalkpit La, Titsey Hill, White La, Clarks La are all in Surrey, not Kent.

I've ridden up Chalkpit and White Lane, and watched is it Beckenham CC ? annual hill climb up white lane. and checking I descended Clarks hill both times.

David Millar's last race before retirement was the Bec CC hill climb up White Lane. https://www.beccyclingclub.co.uk/article-david_millar_and_the_hill_climb.html

I've never watched a hill climb. It's on my to-do list. Another notable hill climb not far away (and actually in Kent) is Yorks hill, on the other side of Sevenoaks, which is the site of the Catford CC Hill Climb which claims to be "the oldest continuing cycle race in the world". That's probably the hardest climb in the area IMO. It's up a different geological feature, though. It's on the Greensand Ridge, not the North Downs.

Just down the road Brasted Hill, also in Kent, hosted the inaugural UK National Hill Climb championships in 1944 (link) It was also the site of the "37th Annual Hill Climb Championship" in 1931 of which there is a fantastic Youtube video here.

Obviously Yorkshire hills are bigger and better because we invented hills.... :laugh:

Nonsense. I know from personal experience that Yorkshire is mainly pan-flat with some rolling hills.

Of course, the fact that the only bits of Yorkshire I've ever cycled in are the Vale of York and the Wolds may have influenced my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom