Home baking - am I wasting my time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If I have visitors or go out to someone's house I always try to take something home baked. Rather than buying a cake or biiscuits in a shop. I'm not the world's best cook & there's nothing fancy about what I bake but I've a few reliable recipes.

A recent conversation with a friend (I usually bake something if I know he's going to call in) has made me wonder if this is a waste of time & that people would be just as happy with something from the supermarket.

Anyone have any thoughts? When people are thanking me for the home-made scones, cookies or flapjacks are they really wishing I'd brought a supermarket chocolate cake?

My brother and daughters wants me to send them vegetable parcel from my vegetable garden. Question answered.

Julia9054

Guru
Love home baked stuff - especially as baking is not part of my skillset but eating is!
Our boss used to bake for us all for our weekly department meeting. She recently got married and clearly doesn't have time to bake any more so we get a packet of biscuits instead.
Whilst I am obviously pleased for her, my stomach misses lonely boss with time on her hands!

tom73

Guru
What did he say that makes you think it a problem?
I enjoy baking for others my mate loves it.
Normally when Mrs 73 meet's some of her friends she often ask's if i'd make something and I enjoy it. It's become a thing to see what she brings. With just me and Mrs 73 in the house we can't just keep eating every thing I make and saves on the waist line :smile:

If all they want is mass made lump of something called cake then I think your effect maybe better spent on the one's who know the difference. As for the rest you may as well turn up with the cheapest packet of broken biscuits you can find.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Home baked every time. Supermarket bought bread tastes
sick.gif
after home baked.
Quite apart from the difference in taste from shop bought confection, it shows you care enough to go to the trouble of baking for others.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We once had to go visit some ecofreaks to collect a parcel that had been sent to them by mistake. Offered tea or coffee which we accepted followed by an offer of biscuits which we also accepted. The host then reached down the flour jar to make the biscuits. Since we were only there for a parcel collection we decided to decline the biscuits.

Top Bottom